MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Online dating ~ what do you think?

Online dating ~ what do you think? - Forums [Biker Match] Online dating ~ what do you think? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Online dating ~ what do you think?

is it possible to truly be attracted to "the real person" simply by photos / profile description / online chats? i have friends who say they are "dating" via social networking, but they have not met in person; is this really possible? *everyone is entitled to their opinion, its not a trick question/thread; it will be interesting to know other peoples opinions*

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/11/2010 21:09  

"is it possible to truly be attracted to "the real person" simply by photos / profile description / online chats" In my humble opinion, it's only possible in the mind! For those people that believe they are in a relationship with someone they have never met, they've obviously never actually experienced meeting someone from the net in real life! Those of us that have, know what I am talking about. The chemistry that they believe exists in their online chats, phone conversations, can completely disappear in 'real' life and be a great disappointment lol. I'm not saying it can't happen, but you're flippin lucky if the net relationship continues to exist in the real world . "Ever the Optimist" signing out!!!

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 06/11/2010 21:22  

very very well said karen................ couldnt have put it better hun!!! totally agree !!!! ................

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/11/2010 21:31  

I bet there are some folk on here that can tell some stories of meeting folk from the net.... How many have met folk that are already in relationships? Can be extremely distressing as you can find yourself in trouble without even trying! That doesn't come across over the net, the marriage certificate etc lol!!!!!

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 06/11/2010 21:41  

you have to meet people eye to eye. otherwise it's just in your head. ie. not real

Update Reply
yamahama @ 06/11/2010 21:49  

But how many people believe it is real.....? Lots I imagine!

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 06/11/2010 21:52  

lol karen (you could end up with a bunny boiler hunting you down) yamahama i think we need eye contact, and body language hun!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/11/2010 21:59  

Moral of the story is we should all meet (you all have probably done so already) just to have this discussion validated.

Agree with everything you have all said.

Update Reply
Palamie @ 06/11/2010 22:02  

yes its good to meet up, then you get to see the real person/s.. and no we havent all met lol.. ive met a handful of people at various events palamie.
k... i know people who take it very serious..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/11/2010 22:11  

Some people are too serious on here. Or should that be intense.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 06/11/2010 22:18  

both yam lol !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/11/2010 22:23  

is it possible to truly be attracted to "the real person" simply by photos / profile description / online chats? Yes

i have friends who say they are "dating" via social networking, but they have not met in person; is this really possible? No

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/11/2010 01:28  

Unless you meet in person, it's like falling in love with a character from a book. Unfortunately some people get so lonely (and desperate without realising?) that this happens far too easily, and far too often. Been there......done that.

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 07/11/2010 02:05  

I think all of you who are chatting on here and having an "online" relationship should buy a ticket to the xmas party! Then you too could have an idiot like mine!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/11/2010 08:21  

V I love my online relationships there perfect. If I met the people I would be disapointed because they wouldn't be perfect, they might turn out to be idiots.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 07/11/2010 09:14  

I think you can indeed get attracted to people via their profile and chats, but it's not a relationship or dating, that's just testing the waters. And I agree, the chemistry/attraction can completely disappear when you meet in the flesh. I've even had the opposite, not found the person particularly attractive on his pics, but there was tons of chemistry when we met in the flesh!

Although online dating does work, some people just on this site are living proofs

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 07/11/2010 09:34  

Yam, so you're saying the mistake I made was meeting JP?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/11/2010 10:10  

The successful bm relationships have met in the flesh, I wouldn't call that online dating (or is it ?)

Raptor had a good point; majority of people who fall in love online are potentially lonely and desperate to be with someone, to be part of... And some don't have high expectations or demands from a potential date (so long as it has a pulse LOL)

Maybe the fact that we all have such busy lives (working/watching tv LOL) that some people solely use the Internet as their social lives!! And fall into the cyber trap... Non- reality existence!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/11/2010 10:36  

I have had some success with online dating over a number of years. It does get more difficult meeting potential partners as you get older whilst 'in the pub' hoping for that chance meeting, or even worse at the bingo hall. (LOL only joking!). It seems much easier in your twenties and thirties. So, for getting to know someone's likes, dislikes and a bit about their beliefs etc I think you can't beat it. That's what I've found from online dating anyway! If it's for an initial introduction to someone who you could possibly hit it off with great. Meeting in person is essential though once you have got to the comfortable stage of chatting online, to take it any further, or decide you are not right for each other, can only be done face to face.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 07/11/2010 11:56  

There are lots of hobbies and venues out there to meet new friends or a partner,from learning dance or gym etc.. Thnik some of the above posts said it all really...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/11/2010 14:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email