MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

MCN Gets Apology From DVLA

MCN Gets Apology From DVLA - Forums [Biker Match] MCN Gets Apology From DVLA - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

MCN Gets Apology From DVLA

Motorcycle News manages to get an apology for Riders from the DVLA
The DVLA has apologised and renewed a commitment to send motorcyclists their old licences back after
failures were exposed by MCN.
The promise to return old licences was made last year after hundreds complained of receiving new ones
with motorcycle entitlement missing. For the first time it gives riders a way to prove a mistake has been
made.
Riders were told that whenever they sent off their licence, for example to change address, all they needed
to do was include a stamped self-addressed envelope and a note requesting its return.
But DVLA staff were caught telling callers they had never heard of any such offer and that old licences
would be destroyed and not returned.
Three MCN readers reported DVLA either failing to return their old licence or saying it couldn’t be done.
When MCN phoned the DVLA helpline, we were told: “The old licence would be cancelled and destroyed.”
When we explained the policy, the assistant said: “I can honestly say I’ve never heard of that.” Only after
we persisted and said we’d read about it in a newspaper did she check with her line manager and confirm
the agreement.
A DVLA spokesman said: "We introduced a new process at the end of last year which means those who
want to hold on to their existing licence can include a stamped self-addressed envelope with their
application asking for the return of their licence.
“We are disappointed that it appears some customers have had some difficulty in getting their licence
back.
"We have worked hard with MCN and other stakeholders in introducing this and all staff have urgently been
reminded of the options open to customers when renewing their licence.

Update Reply
marsey @ 02/11/2010 09:41  

I must admit I've just had mine back after having the address changed, SAE and note was sent, but no old license has been received back. But I did make sure I had a photocopy of the old picture and paper part :-0. But the new ones come back ok sp no worries

Update Reply
SPESH @ 02/11/2010 13:05  

The fact that you have got a photocopy is irrelevant as far as the DVLA is concerned.

Mate of mine renewed hers and she lost her bike entitlement and no way of proving she had it, despite the DVLA must have it on record somewhere on the computer. She had a photocopy, but they wouldn't accept that. That's why I "lost" my licence just before it needed renewal.

No way would I trust them to send it back

The good thing about it was she lost the 9 points on her licence that she had when she sent it away

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/11/2010 15:19  

ive still got the original pass certificate from my bike test so if they miss mine off i should be ok

Update Reply
dunans @ 02/11/2010 16:27  

I to have had a renewed licence due to a suspended HGV and i kept the old one just in case something went wrong but nothing did.
I got my new licence no problem but two weeks later i received a letter explaining my licence was two years out of date for the photo and i would be fined if this was not corrected within 14 days of the dated letter.
I rang the DVLA and explained i had a new licence they they gave me two weeks ago with a new photo on it, they said im sorry we have no record of this on our data base and could you forward proof to us but not the licence...WHAT?????
I haven't bothered....im just waiting for the fine and i will go from there that is if they can remember where i live.............

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 02/11/2010 17:37  

I'm always amazed how these critical systems can lose data like this. I can't imagine any client be happy with me delivering a system half this rubbish.

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 03/11/2010 14:01  

It's called .gov what do you expect

Update Reply
JP @ 04/11/2010 06:32  

Hmm a supplier I audit does work for the MOD, the MOD wont send anything by e mail, they send it recorded delivery on a CD. Apparently that's considered safer!!!

Think I prefer the e mail, knowing our wonderful postal service

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/11/2010 18:07  

We still get data from gov on floppy. Special delivery courier... Pony and trap I think! They have secure data transfer sites to get round the need for encrypted emails, but they also have an apparent lack of communicating the fact to all gov departments. Perhaps a need for a Town Crier?

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 08/01/2011 00:01  

PML @ pony and trap Perhaps a need for a Town Crier? oh yay! lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/01/2011 00:05  

Spot on Kwak! When can you start?

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 08/01/2011 00:07  

When I moved in with Ian I applied online for a new licence, they asked me to send my old on back but they just issued me a new one without waiting for the old one ... So once I had my new one and it was all ok I sent my old one to them.

Like Duns I intend to keep all my pass papers tho incase anything happens .

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/01/2011 05:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email