MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Silly question?

Silly question? - Forums [Biker Match] Silly question? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Silly question?

Hi,

I've just bought a Yamaha FZR250 to restore over the winter/to help me learn more about bikes. I got it started on three cylinders when I first got it but it needs a new battery, airbox and ignition coils, so whilst waiting for them I decided to clean the carbs. The cleaning side of things was fine but when I went to take the carbs out I noticed several tubes that weren't connected to anything and I was wondering what they are?

I understand pretty much how carbs work and I think the two tubes closest to the camera are overflow? But those other two which look like they should be connected to something I'm not so sure about?? Any help would be great.

PICTURE - http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/6222/53776531.jpg

Thanks,

Rowan

Update Reply
rattyrow @ 23/10/2010 14:42  

ratty the picture link doesn't work but if you google

download fzr250 manual

download it and you'll have an exploded view of the carbs showing all the hose connections as well as all the rest of the info for the bike mate

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 23/10/2010 16:39  

Hi Lads,

I copy and pasted
"http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/6222/53776531.jpg"
into a new tab (or window). The server on that site is real slow, but by refreshing the page 3 times, it eventually loaded.

The 3 main connections would usually be:
Fuel in, overflow fuel out, and vacuum (from inlet manifold).
The two outside tubes may be the vacuum connections, as I think the drain offs are from the little nipples on the bottom (casting).

I did see several articles on Mikuni carbs, so worth a Google.

Update Reply
sifimedia @ 23/10/2010 22:17  

Ok thanks guys, when I bought the bike none of them were connected to anything? Should the vacuum or drain off's be connected to anything? I'd guess that the drain offs should have a tube running to underneath the bike, so nothing drips directly onto the engine.

Update Reply
rattyrow @ 25/10/2010 15:59  

Vacuum's prob connect to manifold, or honda connect 1 to fuel tap (anti spill device)

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 25/10/2010 17:40  

Sounds right 'WackoJacko'. The vacuum in the manifold (caused from the piston descending, will lift the fuel needle via the diaphragm in the carb, pulling more fuel into the fuel/air mixture. Result=SPEED!! lol The drain off's need small bore tube to run the petrol away safely under the bike.

Update Reply
sifimedia @ 26/10/2010 00:22  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email