MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

GArage Charges

GArage Charges (2) - Forums [Biker Match] GArage Charges (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

GArage Charges

Done that ages ago retro, but the spring in visibly broken mate, it was making a noise so I changed them myself but I inspected the car up on a ramp and the top end of the spring is gone and free floating and grinding..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/10/2010 23:01  

What's latest development Johnny ?? As has been said, the cost is not too bad. Spring around £50 Labour aound £40 - £60 plus vat plus mot. Focus front springs usually take less than an hour .... ... if no problems. The bolt in question,is more than likely the lower bolt that clamps the hub to bottom of the strut, these do seize due to their location. I,ve done a few of them .. .. Any how as RK says 'They quoted to change the spring not tackle seized bolts.' ANY reputable garage will inform you of the problem (like they have done) BUT then let you know there could or would be further chargable time, giving you the oportunity to agree this or not. NO WAY should you simply be given an increased bill. If you are charged more than the quoted price without first agreeing it, ask if the garage is a member of any trade organisation .. for example:: Motor Codes or Good Garage Scheme etc & contact them. Along with initially refusing to pay the extra The above is how I go about this sort of incident and, as far as I,m concerned, should be the way it is dealt with.... Let us know how you get / got on ............

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 25/10/2010 19:10  

The garage have every right to keep the car until the bill is paid in full. My advice would be to pay it under duress, get the garage to note this and then go to the trade association.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 25/10/2010 21:23  

Ended up £279, they said the caliper was siezed so replaced it, got a brake down with it, they MOTed it first failed it then repaired it the failure points...I asked them to do the spring the front pads ( i had already paif for the front pads) then MOT....they charged £50 for the MOT, just padded it out to make more money... won't be using them again....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/10/2010 21:04  

All in all, very dubious workshop practices there Johnny. Full VOSA price for an MoT test is £54.85 Although bottom line appears to be : .. Nice shiny Recon caliper, new spring, new pads and an MoT test for £280 isnt too much overboard mate........ Hell of a lot of to be desired regarding there methods though!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 28/10/2010 21:44  

i pay 35 quid for MOT

Update Reply
dunans @ 28/10/2010 21:46  

Loads of garages actually charge less Duns, Competion between garages etc ........ Some offer 10 day or 14 day free retest. Some offer both !! All depends on location location location .. (bugger thought I was watching tele then)

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 28/10/2010 21:50  

I hope they asked before carrying out the extra £/work

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 28/10/2010 21:52  

Err, check out thread from begining Dyna

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 28/10/2010 21:54  

<!--6e052d28b1806771e2d163a041d4a5d4-->Most calipers if not really badly messed up should only need cleaning and perhaps a change of dust seal, I would ask for the caliper back and get it checked by someone who knows. We have a local garage who is quite keen on changing peoples vrake discs at MOT time, not a big job but its the principle. They were upset with me last year when I took it in with lovely new discs already in there

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 29/10/2010 13:11  

Just short term money as now you wont use them and you tell your mates to avoid them to. just in case im in trouble down that way in the car who are thay as we all know a holliday maker is a target for them

Update Reply
JP @ 29/10/2010 14:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email