MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Mystery tyre deflation

Mystery tyre deflation - Forums [Biker Match] Mystery tyre deflation - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Mystery tyre deflation

Couple of weeks back had the bike out for a blast down to Squires then to the Sun Inn and home again , topped up tyre pressures before setting off , all was ok when i parked the bike up in the garage , didn't use the bike again till 4 days later , was a lovely sunny day so thought i'd take the bike to work for a change , not this time tho the front tyre was completely deflated , following night after work pumped the tyre back up again, couldn't hear any hissing and no visible signs of a puncture , have had the bike out for a few blasts on a night after work just to see if the tyre was going down while the bike was being ridden , the tyre has not deflated again since . Any ideas on this mystery tyre deflation , got me baffled as i live on my own and only me that has access to the garage

Update Reply
fastjock @ 10/10/2010 15:05  

Jock I had the same thing with a car a couple of years back and it happened every so often for over a year until I got the tyre changed. It turned out it was a tiny bit of corrosion on the rim where the bead sits. The garage said it was intermittent cos it depends where the corrosion was positioned when I parked up. If it was at the top it leaked and at the bottom it pushed harder on the bead with the weight, stopping the leak.

If it keeps happening it might be worth taking the tyre off and cleaning the rim with a soft wire brush or abrasive paper. Thats what the garage did and it never leaked again

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 10/10/2010 15:12  

Am hoping it doesn't happen again Terry , got a 425mile ride on Friday . Gonna put a small paint mark on the tyre to note it's position when parked up to see if it does go down in a certain position . Cheers for the info

Update Reply
fastjock @ 10/10/2010 15:33  

Hi Jock, what RK has said is a distinct possibility. Corrosion between the rim & tyre is a very common occourrence. As the tyre in question is your front one .. .. I would not even think about carrying on riding it without having the tyre removed for a check and a clean up of the rim. At least with the rear, you got half a chance of staying in control should you get an unexpected deflation. With an unexpected deflation on the front, that chance is reduced considerably. got a 425mile ride on Friday Your user name suggests that you may not always ride in a sedate manner. Now chuck in the variable of an unexpected deflation on the front tyre .............................................................

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 10/10/2010 16:15  

Well mine never ever went down while I was driving, only ever when it was left standing overnight so if it's the same thing it should hopefully be ok mate

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 10/10/2010 16:16  

Just possable that the valve had not reseated correctly on 1st time and let air though slowly then on 2nd time reseated

Update Reply
JP @ 10/10/2010 16:21  

thinking jpharley's valve suggestion could be more like the problem , as it's on painted alloy rim . Got the day off on Thurs so will go down to Ripon tyres n get it checked to be on the safe side . GT it was once suggested that i should change my username to 'supersonicjock', lol can't think why tho !!!

Update Reply
fastjock @ 10/10/2010 19:24  

I know its messy but still put a bit of spit on the valve head and check before putting dust cap on, I use truck caps as thay have sealing rubbers so if the valve leaks you dont get a flat

Update Reply
JP @ 10/10/2010 19:34  

great idea with the truck caps , will have to get some

Update Reply
fastjock @ 10/10/2010 19:40  

I noticed after getting tyre changed(front) they put new valve in,the caps arnt deep enough so when on they were touching the valve stem over days tyre loses pressure, so could be the same,try the truck caps .

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 10/10/2010 22:13  

Perhaps it's just me breaking into your garage and letting your tyres down for a laugh?

lol

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 11/10/2010 07:33  

Its the dust mites finding somewhere to sleep

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 11/10/2010 22:20  

i wouldn't put that past ya Geoff lol .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 11/10/2010 22:55  

ive had this on push bikes and motorcycles just put it down to muc in the valve,let a good long blast of air out of the valve,that should make sure its cleared

Update Reply
laimdan @ 12/10/2010 18:27  

Same same some shit in the valve one thing as well when you get your tryre changed make sure you get the valves done they do give out and not all tyre places do it as standard.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/10/2010 18:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email