MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Panniers, Rucksacs or Bags

Panniers, Rucksacs or Bags - Forums [Biker Match] Panniers, Rucksacs or Bags - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Panniers, Rucksacs or Bags

Im in the planning stage for the "BikeaBill Holiday to Cornwall" Next Summer. Got a Tent, and a Sleeping Bag already. But guess im gonna need some gear to carry my kit. In the past have used a Rucksack but suffered for that when we went down to Valencia with cronic back ache. Thinkin now maybe i'll get some Panniers or similar. What do you use? Anyone strongly reccommend anything? Thanks for your input Steve

Update Reply
Fitchy @ 07/10/2010 10:40  

I use Panniers and a Bagster tank cover and bag, And i some times use a large waterproof roll bag as well.

Update Reply
marsey @ 07/10/2010 11:05  

Hi steve

I use soft Oxford sports panniers they are small enough to go on the sv but when unzipped they do so all the way round and almost double in size, so are ideal for either a weekend away or a longer trip, I also have a top box that has a fitment where the pilly would normally sit so with min fuss I can have top box, or seat, or convert ti single.
It's ideal and can be removed easily if want to carry stuff across the bike, usually Ian will carry tent etc behind him on the bandit in a dry sac and use his panniers which are hard ones that came with the bike.
we did 2 weeks in France this year and I only had panniers and top box

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/10/2010 11:23  

I have a topbox on my bike and because I don't bother with all this silly camping paraphernalia I can easily get a week's gear in there.

In fact Roachy and I have a Givi inner bag each. Get to the hotel, open topbox, lift out inner bag ... done!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/10/2010 12:08  

As Shell said soft panners lay tent, airbed and rolled up sleeping bag across seat and use a tank bag as well.I bought new panners fo 43 pound and tank bag for around 20.If you take t pillon you need a rack as well and pillon can take a rutsack

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 07/10/2010 13:24  

Thanks for some great info guys, Panniers are lookin the Most Popular choice, gonna see if I can get a set with a Tank Bag included. Are the Oxford ones any good?

Update Reply
Fitchy @ 07/10/2010 13:52  

Really depends on how much kit you 'need' to take. I use a tankbag, with a clear map pocket, tent on the rear carrier, and a pannier each, for me and the pillion. p.s. A lightweight airbed makes the world of difference too

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 07/10/2010 13:56  

Take a pillion...they carry the rucksack and get the backache

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 07/10/2010 20:00  

Obviously I like to travel light and am therefore not the best person to give advice.

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 07/10/2010 20:06  

i strap a bag on to the seat behinnd me and wear a big rucksack that rests on the bag so im not taking full weight

Update Reply
dunans @ 07/10/2010 20:13  

Please don't wear a rucsack whilst riding, if you have an off it guarantees you injuries which are more severe than if you were not carrying. Trust me I seen it and its not pretty

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 07/10/2010 21:34  

I too have seen the after effects of someone going down the road with a large rucksack. It wasn't good.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/10/2010 21:48  

deff consider splashing out on a givi topbox, the quality durability and ease of use make it well worth the outlay

Update Reply
julie j @ 07/10/2010 22:53  

Thanx 4 all the info guys, never even considered the Top Box route Didnt want the Bike to look like a Ferretting Bike, no offence lol but Practicality over fashion could be the more "Sensible" option (Never done sensible before, should be quite novel lol) Good idea Minnie, sadly dont get many hitch hikers to kidnapp for pillion round these parts, well not unless Glastonbury's on lol

Update Reply
Fitchy @ 07/10/2010 23:18  

I use soft panniers and a tank bag. The beauty of soft luggage is that if you ever change your bike, you don't need to get new luggage.

Update Reply
Suzi5551 @ 07/10/2010 23:22  

Soft panniers with clothes/beer in it, heeeuuuuge dry sack strapped to back seat with tent/chair/cooking eqpt/sleeping bag/shoes in it, bed roll on renntec rack, job sorted...oh and fags/phone/purse/waterproofs in tank bag

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 07/10/2010 23:35  

i have tried soft and hard luggage. . the soft option was great.. whilst solo.. upgraded to hard with the inclusion of a pilly.. would go with the hard option 1st choice now.. the givi rack etc.. works real well.. and the bike still looks ok when you don't need the luggage on..

Update Reply
nawe @ 08/10/2010 00:04  

nobody has mentioned kriega yet awesome kit and waterproof , but if your set , on oxford kit ihave panniers ,tailpack and tankbag in the loft

Update Reply
kwackers05 @ 08/10/2010 00:38  

Kriega.....nice kit, quite pricey tho arnt they? I recall seeing them in the MnP cat a while back. r.e oxford kit - That's good to know kwackers, I'll check out some gear n see whats about, I'll pm you if I ever make up my mind lol, Cheers fella

Update Reply
Fitchy @ 08/10/2010 20:03  

Under the seat goes; puncture repair kit, took kit, insulation tape, duct tape, tie wraps, rags, spare bungies

Then in my top box goes (honestly); small bottle scottoiler oil, multi tool, maps, jacket thermal lining, overtrousers. And in my givi inner bag; one pair of shorts, one pair of swimming shorts, jeans, four t-shirts, five pairs of undies, three pairs of socks, trainers, sunglasses, baseball cap (bald lol), toothbrush and paste, shaving stuff, deodorants, first aid kit, camera, battery charger, phone charger, torch and spare earplugs.

And this is what I take whether it's a long weekend or a fortnight (anything longer than four days and I wash). Sorted!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/10/2010 20:20  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email