MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

could you pass your?

could you pass your? - Forums [Biker Match] could you pass your? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

could you pass your?

could still pass your test now ? they have changed the bike test time and time again we all know we could pass it ( probably ) but if faced with taking the test now would you persevere with it having not ridden a big bike before hand ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 29/09/2010 22:08  

Did restricted 18 months ago - that was bad enough !!! Glad I got in before they changed to the swerve test though !!

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 29/09/2010 22:10  

Shelling peas!

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 29/09/2010 22:11  

i looked at the swerve test on youtube and it looks a doddle . dunno if it would look so easy if i couldnt ride tho

Update Reply
dunans @ 29/09/2010 22:12  

thats my piont dunans if your new to riding and have never shelled any peas before would it put you off taking the test seams like alot of hassle compaired to driving test to me .

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 29/09/2010 22:15  

Bring back the 250 law,yeah am old enough to remember it,seemed to work at the time tho,learning to ride on a 'big' bike not some thing you can pick up with one arm,I couldnt pass it now, Best of luck to all doing it or thinking of it,

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 29/09/2010 23:35  

Have been round bikes all my life and never wanted to ride one !!! I just love being pillion, roads too busy and am too old now to take that responsibility I suppose!!!

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 29/09/2010 23:56  

Nah Anneka never too old for anything,I think!?? There a thing tho,its the 'responsibility'now,theyre taken the fun out of it,the FS1E then onto the Honda G5- yammy rd- kwacka 250 triple,great stuff learnt more on them than I reckon a learner does now doing cones and riding infront of a bloke with an intercom

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 30/09/2010 00:06  

I did :-)

I did the new test in November 2009 for mod 1 and February 2010 for mod 2.

My 1st attempt at mod1 was on a 125 as I had come off on a lesson damaging my ankle and could not hold a big bike, failed, then after 6 months riding my own bike I did it again on a big bike and passed, it easier to do with some miles under your belt and it's a lot easier to do the speed manoeuvres on a big bike as it's easier to come out of the bend and power on to get to 50kph however the manhandling of your bike right at the start is harder cos of the extra weight, slow riding I found easier on a big bike, figure of 8 and U turn easier on a small bike I am sure one of you guys will comment on centre of gravity or something lol :-)

Mod 2 is just your road riding, hill start, pulling away from a Kerb, observations, hesitation (or trying not to hesitate)

You are marked down if you hesitate, don't look, move a cone, and umpteen other things, you are allowed up to 10 minors however 3 minors in the same area will lead to a fail, a serious will also lead to a fail, on your mod 1 if yiu hit a cone or knock it off it's spot, that's also a fail, put your foot down on a slow monouver or the U turn, fail,

But saying all that I am glad I have done it, my slow handling skills come in handy when filtering, I know I can handle the weight and power of my bike, I just had to get used to the different handling from my 125. And no matter if you do big bike or 125 it has pros and cons to it with the new test.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 30/09/2010 03:45  

yeah id pass it. i passed both my car and bike test first attempts. i know what u mean about obsticles they seem to make things harder and more expensive by the day but it doesnt change the fact that you know the requirements for the test so if you are ready you will pass it. how much it costs to prepare and how you will be able to learn to ride well enough to pass is another story

Update Reply
dunans @ 30/09/2010 08:53  

I passed both mine go,was I a shit hot driver and rider,was it luck,did the examiner have his quota of fails who knows,people know the requirements yeah,doesnt mean they wont fail on the day,still think experience = skill,same as a lot of things because you are taught in controlled environments doesnt mean your can handle it when let loose and on your own that goes for a lot of things

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 30/09/2010 10:37  

Thats my sentiments fxr! I KNOW I can ride a bike ( been on 125 for 2 years..and done thousands of miles, including camping) ...but yesterday I went for a MOD 1 practise round the schools car park, using cones, on MY bike and I just couldn't do the figure of 8's!! WTF?? I know, I've just got to keep practising, but I also know I CAN and DO ride well enough to be let out on the open road,..and Ok.. I haven't had any motorway experience riding a bike..but I've been driving for over 25 years, so I'm sure my motorway knowledge is more than adequate. I know I'm ranting on about something that so many others are fed up with, but just have to accept... I'm just peed off with myself as I should've done the cone work no problems....... Its all about how you perform on the day ( in 15-20 mins ) whereas the 6,000 miles experience doesn't count... not fair What about 125 CBT lasting 2 years, then automatically given the opportunity to move up to a 250 ( with perhaps a days training to get used to a bigger engine ) then, say, another year ...then you have the experience and knowledge to ride any bike..without taking a further test? or perhaps a one-day (more advanced CBT kind of test) ? Or better still, why not be marked on the mileage you've done? Anyone can hold a CBT for 2 years..but may only have had the bike out a few times.. Experience is what matters.. not the piece of paper. I just wish i had done this 20+ years ago, when I should've !! grrrrrrrr

Update Reply
Karey @ 30/09/2010 11:03  

Blimey Karey, mine was even longer ago than that and apart from hitting the bloke with that stupid red flag, everything was fine.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 30/09/2010 11:19  

lol @ LTGTR maybe that's where I'm going wrong! Right I'm off out to notch up yet more practice! lol

Update Reply
Karey @ 30/09/2010 11:26  

I took my test nearly 21 years ago, so I can imagine the test would be totally different and i guess i may struggle abit. I cant remember the last time i looked at a highway code so the theory test would scare me more lol. Saying that you take lesson to get to a standard to pass your test and you find out pretty soon once the L's are off its a totally different world and your road sense and craft has to adapt very quickly. I decided after my test to get used to motorways so i thought it would be a good idea to ride from liverpool to brighouse on my cg125 in November.still makes me shiver but i learnt more about riding doing that than any lesson or test. Wow thats deep for me have to sit down lol

Update Reply
andyl250 @ 30/09/2010 11:27  

Like any test, you need to know what the examiner is looking for and be well prepared. But any rider/driver should be able to pass, what is after all a pretty basic test, anytime. If not maybe that's an argument for periodic compulsory re-tests.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 30/09/2010 12:21  

Dont matter how basic a test,end of the day its the persons confidence in their selves,Ive trained people on the job on a driilling platform and now working with aircraft,they are as confident as you like as long as your with them,as soon as theyre on their own the sphincter goes to variable degrees,some recover some just dont, End of the day the question was would you pass the test as it stands now I dont think I would if I had to go thru all the training I would hope so, and we dont need big brother telling us you must now re-test every year,giving them complete freedomn to move goalposts at will - legislating more against a vehicle that should be promoted in this 'global warming' oil reserve figures,dare I say scam ?

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 30/09/2010 13:27  

Not sure I'd pass my test if I took it now lol! I'd probably fail on "lack of observation" mainly because their requirements are nonsense and on road positioning because of how much I move around on the road.

Not to mention the fact that on a lot of roads, 60mph is so bl**dy slow lol!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 30/09/2010 13:50  

I just failed my mod. 1 test because I couldn't get fast enough through the speed trap! Low speed manouvers were a doddle even with my stupidly long 125 but best i could do through the speedtrap was 47 swerve and 49 emergency stop.. might go down a tooth on the front sprocket and go again or just hire a cg125! Stupid bike test!

Update Reply
toobigformybike @ 30/09/2010 15:06  

You'll crack it,although some folk seem to reckon you should of passed nay bother. Good luck

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 30/09/2010 15:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email