MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

some advice plse...

some advice plse... - Forums [Biker Match] some advice plse... - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

some advice plse...

Hi peeps. sat on the ninja & it is too big for me, can only get tippy toes on the floor... so had a long look thru what bike & come up with the following for a first big bike for me (5ft 6" tall).. so if you can give thumbs up or down to my selection wud b appreciated..ta.. ducati monster 696, Honda cbf 600, honda shadow 745, Hyosung GV 650, Kwak ER 6F, kwak VN900 custom, Motoguzi black eagle 744, suzuki SV650, or a triumph bonneville.... very varied I know but want a good handler, with a bit of zip, but not soo much that I spend each week end in A & E lol. Any thoughts welcome....ta :-)

Update Reply
kazninja @ 22/09/2010 17:52  

Check out getting bike lowering kit before you look at others

Update Reply
JP @ 22/09/2010 17:56  

cant go wrong with honda

Update Reply
dunans @ 22/09/2010 18:02  

CBf i rekon !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 22/09/2010 18:14  

Hey Kaz if you are heart set on a ninja, you can get a replacement seat that will give you a few centimeters also you can get a lowering kit for it.....these days the lowering kits are good and it will do little to the handling etc......its not as it you are gonna be racing it professonally so it will be fine......get a reputable bike shop to do it and while they are doing it get the rebound and shock etc set your weight for best effect...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/09/2010 18:19  

depends what u wanna do realy kaz, u need to think if you intend doing long rides/ rallies/touring or wether you just gonna be taking it out for a bit of fun or going to work on it

Update Reply
dunans @ 22/09/2010 18:22  

I had the cbf 500 for my 1st bike and i really wished i had the 600 with the fairing, its a good solid very reliable bike and will really hold its value, one thing to consider, I am 5`7" and found that with a full tank the bike felt quite top heavy, i did get used to it but there is a very big difference in the feel with full/empty tank.The 600 is brill for luggage if you are planning any long trips its really comfy for riding all day long, i used to do 450 miles no probs, cheap insurance too, just take your time choosing,good luck!

Update Reply
julie j @ 22/09/2010 18:25  

I'm also 5ft 6 and looking at another Monster (had the 620, fab first time big bike, but I want something a little quicker now so maybe the 1100, the 696 would be a good choice for your first bike) Though having heard from others, I'm also gonna look at lowering kits and maybe get myself that sports bike. Let me know how you get on hun

Update Reply
Ducatirebel77 @ 22/09/2010 18:29  

triumph bonneville is a good bike and it is still made england or if you what some thing a littel fun the triumph street triple is super with performance and handling,

Update Reply
shadowguyver @ 22/09/2010 18:30  

ooo yeah try the street triple, really wanted one of those little beauts

Update Reply
julie j @ 22/09/2010 18:33  

I concur with JP on this one. I'm only 5Ɗ and ride a cbr6...lowered by 2 ins See whats available for the Ninja if you really like it. Anything is possible! BTW - I'd love a Street Triple but unless they start doing 6ins lowering kits, i've got no hope

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 22/09/2010 19:30  

Buy the ninja and learn to lean off an get yer foot down,,,,

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 22/09/2010 19:53  

You never told me that!!! lol

Update Reply
Ducatirebel77 @ 22/09/2010 20:02  

I never? oh,,,,,

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 22/09/2010 20:08  

Oh indeed can't trust anyone these days lol

Update Reply
Ducatirebel77 @ 22/09/2010 20:14  

I meant to tell you. Promise.

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 22/09/2010 20:25  

WOW guys !!! some fab ideas there - will look at lowering the Ninja 1st and see how I gel with it - never heard u could do that ??? But I really appreciate all your answers ... esp a full petrol tank can make a big difference.. Gonna ride out wiv instructor on it to make sure not gonna go through any walls etc with my exuberance lol !! cheers. x

Update Reply
kazninja @ 22/09/2010 20:29  

Kaz

First thing I'd do is look at perhaps dropping the preload on the forks and the shock slightly. You ladies tend to be a bit lighter than the "average" bike rider.

Then possibly look at having the forks lifted up through the stanchions. I'd suggest 10mm, but you wouldn't want to go much more than that.

This will have the effect of lowering the overall bike about 10mm which could well be enough and this option is free!

Surprised you have trouble to be honest, it's quite a low seat height on that model zx6 (790mm). Did you have your bike boots on when you tried it?

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 22/09/2010 21:14  

Or get some Daytona Ladystar boots with the built up sole/heel. Very good boots although not cheap brand new. I've just taken a tumble in them and I've damaged every peice of gear I was wearing bar my boots. They're warm and waterproof too.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 22/09/2010 21:22  

G2205 & Roachy - what a fab idea....I am so new to biking no idea u cud do this - ta peps xxxxxxxxxxxx

Update Reply
kazninja @ 22/09/2010 21:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email