MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Comfortable Temperature

Comfortable Temperature - Forums [Biker Match] Comfortable Temperature - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Comfortable Temperature

I know some folk ride all year round regardless of the weather, and I have been known to do the same. BUT do you have a minimum temperature that you would prefer before riding?

For me, the temperature has to be in double figures for a 'comfortable' ride. ie 10c and above.

Between 20 - 25c for a great ride out - much hotter and it again, becomes uncomfortable!

So for me anything between 10c - 25c is good.

Whats good for you?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/09/2010 08:42  

I'd rather be hot and sweaty, than freezing my nuts off

Update Reply
marsey @ 17/09/2010 11:11  

I prefer early 20s too, but I ride in all weather, regardless of temperature or conditions, except snow and ice

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 17/09/2010 12:46  

I don't really mind how cold it gets as long as the road's dry. my bikes got a fairing that keeps the wind blast off. heated grips and handle bar muffs sort out my hands. decent gear and a bit of tech should solve anyones temp problems. As its my only transport at the moment, i don't have a choice. I've just noticed i've done my 2000th post. Go Me!! only taken over three years. lol

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 17/09/2010 12:52  

I ride in snow and ice, but I don't like it. I've regularly ridden in minus double-digits, especially here in Holland where it gets much colder than Manchester did for some reason. I've got a car now though so don't get the bike out unless it's dry and over 10-12 degrees now

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/09/2010 12:54  

I've commuted all year round and in all weathers, but for weekend rideouts I'd prefer it to be 10C plus.
I'd rather it was a touch on the cool side, though, as it's easier to add a layer of clothing rather than loose one. Modern ventilated jackets are so much better at keeping you cool compared with the stuff we were wearing 20 years ago, but at the end of the day I just don't like being hot and sticky. 15-20C is my ideal.

Update Reply
Wills @ 17/09/2010 12:55  

Hey Blues, you and me in the 2000 club!

Update Reply
Wills @ 17/09/2010 12:56  

17/18 degrees for me probably although I have ridden in anything from around minus 5 to forty degrees. But not on the same day!

One trip I had saw the temperature go from the mid twenties down to high single figures, back up to high twenties/mid thirties, down to low single figures once more and carried on up and down like that. And that was on the same day! Highest temperature of the day; 37deg, lowest 3!! But that's the Swiss Alps for you lol!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 17/09/2010 17:33  

Anything under 10C is just not fun anymore and my hands really suffer, even with heated grips. I'd probably pitch my perfect temp range at 18C to 22C. Anything warmer and I start to cook...and it's the hands that suffer first..this time with sweating. Ewww!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 17/09/2010 17:37  

I am with you on that one Roachy - I have lost/'mislaid' my summer gloves and used my 3 season ones instead. Almost straight away it was uncomfortable because of the heat. Who would have thought it with summer we have just had?!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/09/2010 19:41  

cant beat cool October mornings for me or April time so long as its mostly dry so 5- 20 for me

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 17/09/2010 21:32  

ride all year round dont drive so summer and winter riding gear heated grips etc although still comute in winter might not go out riding for fun so much

Update Reply
laimdan @ 17/09/2010 21:55  

Dont do cold anymore so good kit is the way forward

20 to 25 is just about right

Rode up from Madrid to Santander few years ago started in rain 10Deg over the mountains it dropped to -5 with heavy snow then as I dropped down into the port the sun came out and it got up to around 15/20 ish.

Just glad I wasnt going the other way

Update Reply
micksaway @ 17/09/2010 22:29  

I managed to ride my lil 125 for most of last year, just had Dec & Jan off due to the snow, but then again it was not so cold last year

As my Raynauds seems to have kicked in early this winter tho I dont think I will do it this year

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 18/09/2010 08:57  

I don.t do frosty mornings but i.ll ride all year round. A good blast over winter when its minus temps really makes your brain alert. Getting old now, (no cheeky comments please ) :-), but get some good heated grips on and get out and about :-)

Update Reply
SPESH @ 18/09/2010 21:10  

My niece has that Raynauds Shell. Not nice dont know how you manage to ride in winter with it. Good on ya

Update Reply
micksaway @ 18/09/2010 21:52  

Thanks Micks, I take tablets when it gets too cold, last year was not too bad tho & so managed to stay mobile till Nov (yes I did have the heated grips but never used them)

Once the snow fell that was it for me then lol but had to get back on the bike as I did my MOD1 in Nov & did not want to leave it too long till doing my MOD2, admittedly it was still ruddy cold but Ian got me some hand hotties that I had down the back of my gloves to keep my hands warm lol

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 19/09/2010 11:42  

dont mind either hot or cold. wont ride in ice or snow and try to avoid rain (unsucessfully mostly)
dont feel the cold much if im dry so id say from 3 to as hot as uk gets im happy

Update Reply
dunans @ 19/09/2010 15:23  

Supose am a fair weather biker lol i have a sports bike and dont really like taking it out in any really bad conditions:(

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/09/2010 18:24  

I don't mind getting wet, cold I can just deal with thanks to heated grips and hand hotties, just cannot cope with cold and wet. :-(

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 19/09/2010 19:04  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email