MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Racing

Briton Cal Crutchlow to move from Superbikes to MotoGP

Briton Cal Crutchlow to move from Superbikes to MotoGP - Forums [Biker Match] Briton Cal Crutchlow to move from Superbikes to MotoGP - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Racing /

Briton Cal Crutchlow to move from Superbikes to MotoGP

British rider Cal Crutchlow will leave the World Superbike Championship at the end of the season and switch to MotoGP.

Crutchlow, who won the World Supersport Championship in 2009, has signed a two-year deal with Tech 3 Yamaha team.

The 24-year-old will be replaced at the factory Yamaha outfit by Italian Marco Melandri, currently with the San Carlo Honda Gresini MotoGP team.

"It's hard to explain how excited I am, joining MotoGP is like a dream come true," said Coventry's Crutchlow.

"To think I will be racing against the likes of Valentino Rossi, who I grew up being a massive fan of, is a really exciting prospect. I can't wait for 2011."

Coventry-born Crutchlow follows fellow Briton James Toseland in joining the Tech 3 outfit, where his partner is expected to be veteran American rider Colin Edwards.

Toseland spent two years with the team before returning to the World Superbike championship at the start of this season.

Crutchlow replaces Ben Spies of the United States, who has graduated to the works Yamaha team in place of world champion Valentino Rossi. He will be at Ducati in 2011.

Tech 3 team manager Herve Poncharal said: "Crutchlow has shown with his World Supersport success in 2009 and with a series of outstanding performances in World Superbikes this year what an exciting prospect he is."

Melandri, a former 250cc world champion, stated he was "very happy" with his "big change".
The Italian rejoined Gresini last August but has not enjoyed much success this season.
The 28-year-old is currently ninth in the MotoGP standings with a best 2010 finish of fifth place, achieved at his home race at Mugello in June.

He came 10th in Sunday's San Marino MotoGP.
"It was a difficult decision because this is the best team I have worked with in my career," added Melandri.
"But I felt that I needed a new challenge and the genuine opportunity to be back fighting for wins and podiums led me to make this choice."

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 15/09/2010 13:50  

Excellent a Brit in each category GO US !!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 15/09/2010 14:15  

Any news where Toseland will go next season ?

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 15/09/2010 14:19  

Coming to a gravel trap near you.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 15/09/2010 15:16  

Play nice blues lol

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 15/09/2010 15:38  

Todays MCN hints at Toseland could be going to BMW Wsb. But theres also a chance that Haslem could be the BMW teams primary target. :-)

Update Reply
SPESH @ 15/09/2010 15:56  

Thought BMW were quitting ???

By the way Spesh love the pic lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 15/09/2010 16:50  

Hasn't laverty signed for Yamaha too?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/09/2010 19:57  

Yep Laverty's going to Yamaha WSB with Marco Melandri

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 15/09/2010 19:59  

And well deserved by Eugene, hope he does as well as in WSS, he's a tough wee rider.
As for Toseland, its no secret that Ronald Ten Kate has a soft spot for JT. If he can't get a ride with the Hanspree team (which is unlikely, as Johnny Rea is talked about being the one bike team next year) then I think the AMA series may be his only option. Bit like the way Neil Hodgson was forced to go, to keep racing.

I reckon it may be too big of a move, too soon for Cal. 1 year in WSS, 1 year in WSB then into Moto GP ? I think he'll find it tough, its a different league up there. Just ask JT, Colin Edwards, Max Biaggi, Chris walker etc etc etc..... I think he should have stayed at WSB for another year at least.

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 17/09/2010 00:54  

Possibly, but those that stay in WSB don't seem to do any good in MotoGP. The only WSB rider to really shine has been Spies, who only stayed for 12 months.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 17/09/2010 11:29  

Time will tell me thinks but hope he does well

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 17/09/2010 14:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email