MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Why is neutral between first and second gear on a motorbike?

Why is neutral between first and second gear on a motorbike? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Why is neutral between first and second gear on a motorbike? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Why is neutral between first and second gear on a motorbike?

"FS1E was 1 up 3 down so was 1 n 2 3 4 , i had 2 of em lol " Knew there was something strange about 'em

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 09/09/2010 21:17  

i had a Fizzie and a Honda MT5 i dont remember the gear being upsidedown on my fizzie 1 down 3 up im sure !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 10/09/2010 13:05  

my fs1-e where m reg and n reg, both purple and both 4 speed boxes and both 1 up and 3 down

Update Reply
dunans @ 10/09/2010 13:51  

AH .. thats what it was then Duns ........ You had the purple ones

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 10/09/2010 14:57  

haha could be m8. i know there here older ones and later ones. first ones where called ss , ive heard tell of some with 5 speed box , ive seen em with 50, ss and fs1 on side plate . the FS1-E said that on the side plate rest are not true fs1e and maybe some imports (the E stood for England) . ive alos seen em where the choke was directly on the carb not on the handlebars like mine was

Update Reply
dunans @ 10/09/2010 15:29  

Dunno about that Duns .. I had the Honda SS50 meself. Never have, did or will like 2 strokes. And to honest I cant remember how the gear change was on that .. must be an age thing .. possibly ...... not that I woud ever admit it

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 10/09/2010 15:48  

...I cant remember how the gear change was on that .. must be an age thing .. or it could be alcohol related, going by the photo on your profile Tony lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/09/2010 15:58  

Shhoryy carntt think whht you shayinggg Kwak

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 10/09/2010 16:24  

See you been busy there Tony.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 10/09/2010 16:33  

You have to appreciate that was not all at once you know !! It took a good few months.

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 10/09/2010 17:46  

Left hand shift was standardised in 75, but it was only adopted as a "standard" by manufacturers after the sale of new road-bikes with right hand was forbidden in the States. To this day the "standard" for race-bikes is one up the rest down.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 10/09/2010 22:36  

Oops and in answer to the header, it's the only sensible place to put it, at the bottom of the box it would-be very easy to select neutral when "on the move", in-between 1st and 2nd requires a deliberate act.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 10/09/2010 22:44  

You can always move the neutral position if you don't like it. A few of my mates have quads and we've redesigned a couple of them so neutral is at the bottom - with the help of a local engineering firm who moved the slot according to our drawings. I'll post a pic if anyone's interested in doing the same. The only problem I've found is remembering you've moved it once you start riding!

Update Reply
MVGirl @ 11/09/2010 16:20  

cant see the point of having neutral before 1ts unless it has reverse. welcome to the nut house vmgirl :)

Update Reply
dunans @ 11/09/2010 16:31  

my fs1-e where m reg and n reg, both purple and both 4 speed boxes and both 1 up and 3 down

Ah you had the modern ones .......... the original ones were orange, like mine was .

Poor greasy tony ....... did all the other 16 year olds take the piss out of your Honda? We only had one lad who knocked about with us who had one, we said it was cos he was special. Mind you we did have two lads who had a Fantic and a garelli which where the fastest ones, only they kept seizing

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/09/2010 15:25  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email