MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Lowering a motorbike

Lowering a motorbike - Forums [Biker Match] Lowering a motorbike - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Lowering a motorbike

Hello,

Im looking at getting a honda VFR800 but need to have it lowered by about 2 inch's.

v been told i can have the seat re-moulded and such which should lower the bike for me by about an 1 or so. Its finding somewhere that does this, does anyone know any good places around Essex/London area that can do this or online places?

Also, does anyone know of lowering kits that do not affect the handling or at least not too badly?

Adz

P.S. im about 5'4/5'5

Update Reply
ace_morgan @ 04/09/2010 17:28  

Let the tyres down. That'll work.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 04/09/2010 17:42  

Easiest and by far the cheapest way is to take the seat cover off and cut the foam down.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 04/09/2010 18:14  

have the seat made a little narrower too that will help or you can get built up boots which look really good and then if you want to change the bike youve still got them. if you look around there will always be a few bikes for sale that have already been lowered good luck!

Update Reply
julie j @ 04/09/2010 18:27  

Yep Julie you can-do seat "contouring" as-well when you're cutting the foam down.
As it 'appens seat to footrest relationship is very important on race-bikes, mine have varied from no seat foam at-all to "booster seats".

A good line in BS works well! :0)

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 04/09/2010 18:43  

Get a lowering kit first before you take anything out of the seat, about £100.

That should drop it by 40mm, which is nearly 2"
http://www.demonbikes.com/more/on/details/12594

If take its out of the seat, it will just give you numb bum, unless its done properly and the foam built up with memory foam.

I'd agree that its often the width rather than the height as it pushes the more vertically challenged legs out which mean you dont touch the floor as easily

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/09/2010 19:13  

If you take it out in one lump SF it's easy enough to put it back if you're not happy, but maybe I've done so many that might count.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 04/09/2010 19:26  

Thing is I suspect that adz will have to get someone else to do it, and that's going to cost. If you do it yourself and cock it up you end up needing a new seat.

Fitting the lower kit is easier, I'd be much happier doing that then hacking a seat.

But if you've done them a few times its easy, isnt it always

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/09/2010 20:19  

Even my first went pretty good, but my mate makes and upholsters chop' seats and it was common practice on proddy racers back in the "old days", so guess I had a head-start.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 04/09/2010 22:41  

Hey Adz :-)

I had the SV lowered so can speak on that view... I had it lowered by 30mm dead simple on the SV and no need to touch the forks ... Ian did it in the garage, rode the bike before and straight after lowering and said no difference in handling at all ... Mine it was just a case of new dog bones £38 and lots of brews for Ian as he did it. Especially as the SV does not have a centre bike stand heheheh

Leave the seat alone ... Your bum will not thank you lol

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 05/09/2010 07:35  

I quite fancy the VFR800 as my next bike but it is quite a heavy lump although nicely balanced. A lass I know has one and she let me have a sit on it and I could manage to reach the ground about as well as I can on my CBR. I'm pretty sure it wasn't lowered but the suspension might have been on a low setting. It still felt a lot of bike though, much more of it up front than on the CBR so for confidence I'd probably want more of my foot on the ground. I don't know anything about lowering bikes other than what I read or hear but based on that I wouldn't be happy messing with the geometry of a bike to the extent that some methods of lowering do.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 10/09/2010 18:46  

By 'eck, my lass looks good don't she!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/09/2010 18:53  

hi ACE talk to sumo he`s same size as you and h lowerd a 1200 gs ,if he can handle that ??only thing is wi sumo is gettin the bass off the kerb lol. I hav-ish a vfr my inside leg is 30cm /ie short ass . the bikes nicely wieghted so tip toes or sling your ass offa one side does ok,okay? marty

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2010 21:25  

Ride thru all the pot holes - they're at least 2" deep

sorry
x

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 10/09/2010 21:33  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email