MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Nod - what does it really mean ? Help please?

Nod - what does it really mean ?  Help please? - Forums [Biker Match] Nod - what does it really mean ?  Help please? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Nod - what does it really mean ? Help please?

Nod: I thought if you nodded at someone on the site it was a courtious 'Hello, how are you'. If someone nods at you, then either a polite nod back and, or a wee message just to say hello. It would appear that many members don't see it that way. I recently had a nod, so sent a wee message back and was ignored - very confusing indeed!!!! Is it me that has got it all wrong, if I nod , am I inferring that I want jump the said nodded person, sending them into a state of shock . Could it be that folk are a bit rude and feel that 2 minutes to return a wee note is to taxing on their already hectic lives. I just don't know - any guidance in this matter will be greatfully received as I clearly don't want to offend anyone or nod inappropriately. Thank you in advance for your replies xx

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 12/08/2010 20:19  

well BOB.. when i first joined i was of a diff opinion, i was scared to nod back incase it was misread... but now i just nod back and if i nod ANYONE it simply means hello... def not that i fancy them, or want to jump their bones lol and yes some people are a tad rude.. this is not just a dating site.. im not on here to find a man.. simply to join a community of friendly folk, with similar interests!!! just nod away hunny... and if people are rude enough to ignore you, then its their loss !!!! Big hugs xox

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/08/2010 20:28  

Bob my stock answer to a nod is a short message saying 'thanks for the nod'. If they wish to message further then they will, if not, then fine. I do always respond to messages but accept that not everyone is the same. I think you should just do what comes naturally to you and don't expect anything back . I have messaged/nodded to people local to me, and not had any response, and that's both male and female, but I take it with a pinch of salt. So don't worry... I'll send you a 1,000 nods if you like

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 12/08/2010 20:41  

Unfortunately, as much as she might like to receive 1,000 nods from you Blackberry, you can only give her one (so to speak lol)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/08/2010 20:46  

I initially thought of the nod as a simple hello, but it seems that other people see it differently. As there's no "official" definition of what it means, and in order to avoid confusion I now just ignore them completely. So apologies to anybody if I ignore you, but I don't know what you're trying to say.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/08/2010 20:57  

I thought the same a nod is a simple hello like on the bike lol

Update Reply
jabecs @ 12/08/2010 21:03  

GB is that why you didn't return my nod ages ago I've actually secretly been bearing a grudge against you ever since and yes you are very very rude.
I feel better now. LOL x

Update Reply
yamahama @ 12/08/2010 21:13  

If i receive a Nod i always send one back - just to say hello back !

Like people have mentioned above its not a come on just a friendly acknowledgement.

I agree with GB though people have a different interpretation of what your nodding for !!

Like Blackberry says take it with a pinch of salt if ya dont get a nod back.

Update Reply
suzed2805 @ 12/08/2010 21:14  

hey I have messaged people and not been messaged back just a hello sort of thing as well, so if you get miffed a no reply to a nod imagine how rude to message someone and not even get a hi back..... I try to say hello if someone nods or messages, I may have forgotten once or twice but not intentionally..... a nod is a hello as you would say in the street I think its common curtesy to say hello back....but maybe thats just me??????????

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/08/2010 21:30  

Sorry for my rant, you'll be glad to know I'm off my soap box lol. In the big scheme of things it's not important, thanks to those who reply xx

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 12/08/2010 21:31  

Hi jonny
Have you dried out yet?

Update Reply
yamahama @ 12/08/2010 21:36  

@ rockchick1965.... Awww yamahama you sent GB a X

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 12/08/2010 22:36  

I see it as a hello too, but maybe Matt should be a definition against it

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 12/08/2010 23:24  

On Biker Match the nod replaced the wink. I'm not sure what Matt intended it to mean but my interpretation of the nod is the same as when you're out on the road. Just to acknowledge the other biker(s). I don't see much point in virtual nodding, not when I can send a PM. Seems like reality is imitating virtuality cos hardly anyone one returns a nod on the road or in here. Some members send a nod to get others attention hoping they will PM them, cos they can't PM others., if they are standard members. Standard members used to be able to send nods but I think Matt changed that and now they can't. It doesn't cost much to register as a full member so come on you folk who want to be contacted, pay the dues and send those PMs yourself. Sandi

Update Reply
Sandi @ 12/08/2010 23:24  

I think of the nod as either a nervous hello or a way for a standard member to say hi and hopefully get a message which they can then reply to, so I always try and acknowledge nods, I don't send them though, if I want to say hi to someone I do it in a PM

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/08/2010 23:47  

Lol yamahama, yeah I'm just about dried now

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/08/2010 02:18  

I would treat a nod as a way of saying hi, like others have said it's just like on the bike.........so nod back Taking your point Kwak, not acknowledging other bikers on the road seams to be an English thing, as up here in Scotland just about everyone waves or nods when out on the road, it is a thing I find very annoying when down South of the border.

Update Reply
Doh Boy @ 13/08/2010 07:07  

When I first joined up I thought the nod was a curtious nod of the head as we fellow bikers do when we're on the road going past each other in other directions? It appears that some people on this site take it the wrong way indeed. Never mind.

Nod away I say

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/08/2010 08:41  

To me a nod is just a friendly hi, i can't say how other will take it but thats true of anything we do, so nod away!!

Update Reply
Jimclark @ 13/08/2010 14:02  

It did replace the WINK because bikers didn't want a "wink" and they also wanted the ability to send greetings to other bikers without saynig that they're "interested" in them. Standard members can't send nods anymore, as they were being sent just to get others to respond to them and avoid paying the tiny fees. I don't think I need to define the use of the nods... it YOUR site so you can decide. Besides, how and where will I tell new people about the purpose of nods?

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/08/2010 14:20  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email