MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

etiquette when buying a second hand bike

etiquette when buying a second hand bike - Forums [Biker Match] etiquette when buying a second hand bike - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

etiquette when buying a second hand bike

what is the usual thing to do when buying a second hand bike regarding handing over the dosh?The seller doesn`t know if you are genuine or not so wont let you have a test ride without the dosh and you dont want to leave x amount of pounds with a stranger so what is the done thing to keep both parties happy,and also what are the things to bear in mind when buying a nearly new but second hand bike?I am booking test rides at dealers so that i can choose what i want and then plan to look around .Very interested to hear about other peoples experiences.

Update Reply
julie j @ 04/08/2010 21:22  

Maybe these will help? Not read them myself so apologies if they don't answer your Q. http://www.revi...tml http://www.ukne...tml

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/08/2010 21:27  

i would always take a mate along, it's another pair of eyes to look for problems. They can stop with the bike's owner while you go for a test ride, i'd also take some i.d and cash for a deposit. if you like the bike and do the deal, maybe leave a deposit, then go back with the full cash amount and ride the bike away. I've done this for some mate's a few times, it seems to work, don't know what other's think, but it's worked for my mates.

Update Reply
retrofan @ 04/08/2010 21:33  

thanks kwak and retro, just wanted to know about the cash hand over as a lot of sellers want the full amount leaving before a ride which i suppose is fair enough,wonder if anyones ever been stung by having the seller do a runner and then you are left with a bike that you dont legally own?are there any pitfalls of handing the dosh over?

Update Reply
julie j @ 04/08/2010 21:42  

Visit them at their home, not a mutually "conveniant" point. Taking an informed friend is a great idea. Not only as a witness to the transaction, but they're likely to be more critical of the bike, save you buying a dog.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 04/08/2010 21:48  

I've never heard of anyone being stung by that scam. I agree with retro tho take a mate along and they can wait with the seller. One bike I went to look at, with a mate, when I got there the owner hadn't even charged the battery or got it out of the shed. So it was a wasted journey. So we went back when she'd sorted it, and luckily my mate could tell by listening that the exhaust had a hole in it. So I offered less than she was asking cos she hadn't mentioned it before and after she'd thought about it she said she wouldn't let it go for less so I walked away.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/08/2010 21:53  

i agree with rob allways at there home base take a freind too they may be happy to let you try it if your mate standing with the cash while you ride around abit when ive been to look at bikes in the past if they wont let me ride it then i walk away if they want to sell it then they will let you

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 04/08/2010 22:00  

Make sure you have an insurance certificate allowing you to ride that bike, when I have sold bikes in the past I want the cash in my hand plus I want to see a valid insurance certificate.

Update Reply
DG99 @ 04/08/2010 23:34  

All good advice, home deff not a "nutral meeting place" although you may be also aware that some peeps may not want to let just anyone into their garage in case you are there casing the place to rip off anything out of it! This trust thing works both ways eh! 2nd pair of eyes a good thing as is a witness and a little extra "security" if you are going to hand over a large ammount of cash! I'd deff leave a deposit and arrange to pick up the bike following weekend! Cooling off period and also added benifit of if bike is legit you'll be able to go back to the sellers home to collect it! You can also text the reg to get it checked for HPI stolen and written off, that should give you even more confidence! Make sure your policy is going to cover a test ride! As you will be aware that riding annother bike will usually lower your cover to just 3rd party and not be fully comp!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 05/08/2010 00:01  

thanks for all of the advice peeps have taken it all on board,may end up travelling a long way to get what i want so have to check all is in order before hand with ins. vehicle check etc, what kind of saving should i hope for buying privately over buying from a dealer cos at the mo this is looking like the no hassle option and if i pay an extra couple of hundred quid on a nearly new bike and am able to chop mine in then i may go for that.

Update Reply
julie j @ 05/08/2010 17:16  

I bought a big 4x4 in 2005 with a bankers draft. We did the deal at his house. Before i left he asked if he could take my photo with the truck. i also took one of him and checked it agaist his driving licence.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 05/08/2010 17:46  

At the risk of thread drift, Julie, what are you looking for? It may be that someone out in BM-land knows of one for sale and can vouch for the seller, saving you a bit of uncertainty.

Update Reply
Wills @ 05/08/2010 19:43  

Hi Wills not sure yet,prob sports more than tourer, not decided whether to keep the cbf as well because its perfect for holidays so just getting the test rides in and hope to grab an end of season bargain so no rush. Tried a cbr600 so far , really liked it but it felt really small, very different to what im used to.

Update Reply
julie j @ 05/08/2010 20:03  

hi, all good stuff i am duely taking notes for my reference as thinking of getting a run around i dont mind getting dirty!! tried a Triumph speedmaster today realy liked it as it so much lighter than the Harley, ooops am i changing my elegience!! well i threw it around the corners easier and it went realy well !!!!, all within the speed limit of cource !! cough cough . . . . . . !!i open to sugestions too if anyone got a run around for sale.

Update Reply
savanna @ 05/08/2010 22:00  

thanks again for the input everyone as you can see from the piccy I`ve been and gorn and done the deed and am a very happy bunny,did hand over all of the dosh before the test ride but had a mate with me,and have fallen in lurrrrve with something I least expected too!!!

Update Reply
julie j @ 09/08/2010 07:45  

Yeh lol thought you was a Honda girl through and through lol, well done on going the full measure with your new toy Julie!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 09/08/2010 14:42  

cheers Andy, will be taking things very very carefully for a good while

Update Reply
julie j @ 09/08/2010 16:25  

well done jj Yamaha is the way to go. Except for Aprilias of course. Lol enjoy go steady.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 09/08/2010 20:56  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email