MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Suggestions

Suggestions - Forums [Biker Match] Suggestions - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Suggestions

I'm going to be looking to get a 2nd bike soon, mostly aimed at touring. I currently have a Triumph Street Triple, and this is rubbish for motorway or long journeys. I'm 5ft8, and don't think the sports tourers will suit me as I'm quite heavyset and they'll probably kill my wrists.

Any suggestions?

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 31/07/2010 22:31  

Bandit 1200S with the luggage option. Nice sit up and beg position and oodles of usable power for touring. I have the 600 version and you have to wring their necks to get decent performance but the riding position is great for fast road riding. I'm the same height by the way.

Update Reply
DG99 @ 31/07/2010 22:56  

I fully concur with DG99. I've had a Bandit 1200S for 8 years from new. It has now done 75,000 miles. It's mechanically simple, reliable, gives adequate performance particularly with a (legal) aftermarket end can, tours, scratches and commutes. The handling is not brilliant even with an aftermarket shock but progressive springs but predictable and it is comfortable. The Bandit can easily be customised to suit your purpose with luggage kits readily available and a double bubble screen makes long distances easier.

And best of all they're cheap to buy.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 01/08/2010 11:15  

I agree even though biased coz i have a 12. I've had it for 8years I play on it, go to work on it, and tour on it. Can't really fault it. Bike mag did a tour test Bandit 12 against ZZR 14, I thought boo hiss unfair, til I read it and on A roads the bandit kept up, was it better than the 14? No. But the difference in price made it a bloody good option.

Update Reply
2Tdreamin @ 01/08/2010 12:12  

Done plenty of miles on my sports tourer, without problems. <---------------------------- Be a good companion to that Street Triple

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 01/08/2010 18:43  

Thanks, I'll look it up!

Rob, are you sure you don't work for Triumph...? Aren't the handlebars a bit low though? How is it on the wrists after a full day riding?

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 02/08/2010 08:47  

Lol, whatever gave you that idea ?, but given enough brownie points, maybe I'll get a discount on the next one The only time mine's been uncomfortable, is in extreme heat, that underseat pipe doesn't help. The later models (2008 on, I think) came with higher bars than mine, as standard, but I prefer to be tipped into the breeze a little. I find higher bars tend to take away feel from the front end, that's one thing that put me off the Tiger ( which by a complete coincidence, is another Triumph)

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 02/08/2010 13:23  

I don't know, just a hunch....!! Are you part of any of the RATs? I'm with the Bulldog RATs, although I've never gone out with them yet

Yeah, I have the same with the street, although I get the excess heat from the radiator and that's only when stuck in traffic.

I'm trying the Tiger next week, never been on an upright bike like that, so we'll see how I get on with it.

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 02/08/2010 15:05  

Depends on how much you wanna spend, faired un faired. I would say faired is always better for touring although not the best looking BMW have always had the best touring bikes for comfort and reliability.
I have a vfr 800 with abs it's done a lot of miles in the year ok it isn't upright but I do long trips and have no problems

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2010 15:21  

Brigadoon Yep, Action at Redditch and more lately with Knotts at Stratford. RAT runs don't suit everyone, but I've made a lot of friends and been to loads of new places with them. Also a regular on TriumphTorque, which is an indepentant Triumph site. Loads of info on there

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 02/08/2010 16:00  

Jtb, don't really have a budget, I'd rather get a new bike rather than 2nd hand, and I'd rather have faired too. Maybe I should give sports tourers a go, see how I get on with them, I guess I've heard mixed things about them.

Rob, I suppose it depends on the group, the one down here seems really active and friendly. Cool thanks, I'll check it out!

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 02/08/2010 17:06  

Got the Tiger as a courtasy bike today, I love it but I find the wind noise really annoying... Is there a way round that? The bike is great apart from that

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 10/08/2010 14:06  

change your helmet and use earplugs if you don't already. I have 3 lids and they all differ significantly in wind noise.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 10/08/2010 14:16  

I believe there are different screens available, it's generally the combination of rider/screen height that causes the problems. Sure that topic will have been covered, either here : http://www.triumphtorque.com/ or, more likely (tho I've not used this site) : http://www.tiger1050.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage...p;Itemid=1

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 10/08/2010 14:47  

Thanks all for your advise, I went for the Tiger in the end, the 2nd test ride in pouring rain convinced me

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 16/08/2010 12:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email