MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Best bike for a little, weak, female- suggestions

Best bike for a little, weak, female- suggestions - Forums [Biker Match] Best bike for a little, weak, female- suggestions - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Best bike for a little, weak, female- suggestions

Hi,
recently sold my Honda 400 Superfour - didn't get on with it (discovered why when went for MOT - had a running problem which is why it would suddenly catapault forward at high speed - occasionally towards oncoming traffic!). Planned to give up biking but already hankering for another bike. Custom cruiser style riding position suits my achy back best but can't afford a Harley and wouldn't have one anyway - too expensive for parts. I was thinking maybe Virago. Someone suggested Yamaha Dragstar. Anyone got any ideas? I'm a bit of a shortarse and light so can't cope with anything too heavy. Haven't got cash for another bike yet but I am saving!

Cheers

Update Reply
widget @ 24/07/2010 12:02  

Hey 5ft 4 is not a shortarse!!!

I would have said the one I ride, I am the same hight but it's not one for a bad back, I don't get on with the cruiser style but good luck looking :-)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/07/2010 12:42  

Take a trip up to DK Motorcycles by stoke they have loads of 2nd hand to look at and sit on will give you more idea than just asking

Update Reply
JP @ 24/07/2010 13:10  

I wouldn't recommend the Virago 535, I found it heavy. I'm 5' 5", inside leg 28", and I was a lot lighter than I am now when I tried it. JP's right, a bike shop is the best way to find which bike is for you. Let us know what you decide on? Happy trying.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/07/2010 14:05  

HD make a low sporty - not low enough for me, but you might be okay on it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2010 18:35  

Id go with jp sugestion and that bike shop is great and you wont get mithered and have a sit on some bikes and se what suits you..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2010 18:37  

Cruisers might have the lowest seat heights, but the riding position isn't necessarily the best if you have a bad back. Many encourage a 'slumped' riding position, which is certainly not good news.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 24/07/2010 20:29  

I would recommend the Virago 535 :) My ex partner bought one after he passed his test & I immediately snatched it to commute to work on. It has plenty of grunt for pulling away in traffic and I thought the seat height and weight was fine - but I'm used to bigger bikes. I've also ridden a Dragstar many moons ago & although this was a great bike, it would be a lot heavier than the Virago. Although height is a factor it really depends on body shape - some people have short legs / long back & others long legs / short body. So as others have said, visit several bike shops & sit on as many as you can. Any that you really like, ask for test ride - you will probably have to agree to pay a lump sum if you drop it (£500 ish seems to be the norm). Happy Shopping!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2010 21:02  

I would go for the Dragstar, you can lower the back end add a banana seat and hey your sitting on the dirt....well not quite..but having said that the centre of gravity drops as well, which could be good for you, check out mine ..in the pics see what you think.........

Update Reply
standish19 @ 25/07/2010 18:02  

DK motorcycles are 'kin extortionate, only go to window shop. My ex was a little lass and she fit perfect on a Suzuki 650 savage. only 30 bhp but fun and if you want more power you can get em tuned to the same as a ccm or suzuki trail thingy.

Update Reply
2Tdreamin @ 28/07/2010 18:58  

535 a damd good bike as drobes would tell you converts into ace looking cafe racer too but i have to agree with JP aswell go sit on em try em out

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 28/07/2010 19:05  

Toys R us do a cracking liccle electric one, looks just like an R1...just a thought.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/08/2010 13:59  

Don't be silly. You'd need one heck of an extension lead to take it on holiday

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 05/08/2010 14:46  

Nah...comes with an optional battery pack...and knee sliders...titter...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/08/2010 16:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email