MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Honda CB1 - getting stuck in first gear!

Honda CB1 - getting stuck in first gear!  - Forums [Biker Match] Honda CB1 - getting stuck in first gear!  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Honda CB1 - getting stuck in first gear!

Hi all - am hoping for some ideas about a problem I've been having with my bike. When it gets a bit hot - eg after filtering slowly for an hour in rush hour traffic in London - it is impossible sometimes to get it out of gear. Mostly it won't go into neutral, but sometimes I can't move the gear lever at all, it just gets jammed. It's not just me being not very strong, much bigger ex boyfriend has had the same problem when riding my bike. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Update Reply
cb1 @ 23/07/2010 13:02  

Hi CB Does the clutch still feel ok. or does the bite point change when it's hot?

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 23/07/2010 13:15  

I haven't noticed the biting point changing - I'll keep an eye out for that though (it's hard cos normally it happens when i've been in stop start traffic for ages so my hand is tired anyway!)

Update Reply
cb1 @ 23/07/2010 13:22  

I would check the easy and cheaper options first. Make sure clutch is adjusted properly and make sure your using a good quality oil. Replace it it if your unsure.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 23/07/2010 13:30  

Only experiance I've had with sticky gears on one of my Hondas was a bent selector fork in the gear box (have you had a relitvly slow speed spill that resulted in the gear selector being bent at all?)

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 23/07/2010 14:35  

Hi and welcome CB1. I used to have a BMW where the gearchange got very dry and scratchy when it got hot. Matters improved quite a bit with an oil change, so I'd do what Bluebiker suggests and check the clutch and oil and replace if needs be. I've just Googled Honda CB1 and found this, which migth be helpful: The CB-1 also has a six-speed gearbox that although very reliable can become clunky between 1st and 2nd gear if the chain is not tensioned correctly with false neutrals a possibility. This is common in many late 80's early 90's Hondas. The issue is believed to be down to the design of the selector mechanism and the profiles used on the selector ratchet/drum. Many companies sell replacements claimed to eliminate this problem. (Selector parts for the early CBR600F are interchangeable.)

Update Reply
Wills @ 23/07/2010 15:13  

Thanks for the replies! The gear selector isn' t bent at all so it definitely isn't that, and it does only happen when the engine's running hot. Hopefully it's just the oil - not sure how to check the clutch is correctly adjusted... Any tips gratefully received!

Update Reply
cb1 @ 23/07/2010 15:22  

Unless you're really unlucky, as has been said , it's probably the clutch.(drag)

Virtually any good quality m/c oil should-be used. A semi-synthetic is a good compromise for the CB1, don't use a car oil.

2 to 3mm free-play at the lever should be fine.
On the old Brit' bikes I used to select neutral before I stopped.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 24/07/2010 15:38  

it dose sound like a bent seletor fork as said try it with out running the engine just rock bike back n forth see if it'll move then they can get bent by missing a gear or even just normal wear fixable but it aint gona be cheap though !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 24/07/2010 16:17  

Disagree there Whealy, a bent selector fork is UNLIKELY to-be temp' related.
As it's a complete engine strip, it's an absolute last option.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 24/07/2010 18:51  

Thanks guys for the advice - appreciate it.

Update Reply
cb1 @ 24/07/2010 23:07  

If you change the oil, change the filter too. Thats a puzzler coz like the other guys said it sounds like a selector fork or the gear carrier, but why only when its hot? Dunno. If I think on it a bit I'll get back to you. Let us know if you find out what it is else I'll loose sleep

Update Reply
2Tdreamin @ 28/07/2010 20:07  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email