MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

33bhp bikes, suggestions

33bhp bikes, suggestions (2) - Forums [Biker Match] 33bhp bikes, suggestions (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

33bhp bikes, suggestions

Shell, I'm interested that you did the DAS over several months - I didn't even know that was possible. It's promoted as a quick way to get through the test. Sounds like you've done a bit of both - the sensible route :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/07/2010 22:48  

You're right Pumpkin, DAS is normally sold as a very quick route through to a larger bike. However, as Shell has done, there is no reason why you can't book individual lessons over a longer period.

Indeed, there's no reason why you need to go on a course at all! Ok, without any training you are going to do very well to pass, but there's no reason why you can't just turn up at a test centre with your own bike and take a DAS test.

I have to say, I'm still not a fan. A quick look at the DfT's Road Accident Statistics shows that the number of KSIs relating to motorcyclists in the 40 to 49 age bracket is almost twice that of the next highest age group of 20 to 24 (1329 and 816 respectively, based on 2008 figures). When compared to statistics for other road users this is very odd and suggests something is happening with bikers in their forties.

My personal opinion is that many of these accidents are likely to be caused by people taking up biking after they've done the family thing, doing DAS and having the money to then go out and buy whatever they want.

But this is purely my opinion. It has to be said though that in the years prior to 1997, the number of motorcycle KSIs were very high from the ages of 20 to 34 (comparable to the current rates for the 40 to 49 bracket), but then rapidly decreased as ages increased. This is more in line with other road users.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 16/07/2010 00:05  

Direct Access is the ability to pass your test and ride unrestricted Geoff is correct it is usually promoted as a course however now with the new tests I think more places are finding it harder to get people passed in the short time they have as they have to train for the 2 parts test , my instructor said that the vast majority of people who pass a 5 day DAS are ones who have been riding quite a while already and know what they are doing on a little bike.

Although in theory you could just turn up and do your test on a 500 I am not sure of the legalities of you riding it, I think your only allowed out on the road onthat size bike under qualified instruction? Plus I am not convinced insurance would not be an issue...

AnywYs back to 33bhp .... I still hope your mate sees sence and gets a small big bike to stRt with

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 16/07/2010 05:26  

I hope he has got lots of money .... because to insure that super sorts tourer with no NCB and a new licence, its going to cost him heaps and heaps !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/07/2010 06:15  

Mixed views on what has been said here .....very interesting.

I decided to do the biking bit in January (after your mid life crises has already covered budding rock star what else is left....haha).

I chose and planned to get through the test for April in time for the weather to turn... by the way for someone who hasnt riden a bike mod 1 and mod 2 is not that easy ...... mod 1 in particular due to the slow speed handling.

I did however choose to spread out the CBT to mod 2 tests and training and chose to borrow a 125cc bike and spent every lunch time practicing slow speed U Turns etc which improved my handling big style. By the time I went through mod 1 I did it with zero errors and a couple in mod 2 and massed in April.

I then went out and bought a Triumph Tiger 1050 .........mmmmmm.....a big bike. On the positive side I believe that never having riden a bike meant the instruction I was given on both safety and control was all new and taken on board (no bad habits). My safety on the road was second nature and cautious using common sense to stay within my limits.

I have done over 1,000 miles since and had no problems above 5mph........ I did drop it from start ..... and it hurt!!! The biggest problem being the height and weight in relation to my height 5ཆ.

Hopefully I have corrected what went wrong.

My advice to anyone would be you need time on the road (either during the tests or after) before getting on a bigger bike.......not two years though!!

With hindsight would I have bought a smaller bike (size not cc) - maybe - certainly in the days following, when hamstring hurt like hell. Would I change it now - no chance ....awesome bike

Update Reply
DTR30 @ 19/07/2010 15:17  

Thanks for all the comments, my mate now has a BMW r1200st waiting in my garage for when he passes his test.

Part of learning to ride for me was time on the road on a machine that was within my capabilities, dropped one a couple of times but it was lighter and slower than today's bikes and I was lucky, there was less traffic then.

The increase in fatalities between 40 and 50 should not be a surprise, more disposable income, midlife crisis and fast bikes, hey what a recipe

I hope he takes time to learn to ride after he passes his test.

Having ridden the BMW it is now off my wish list, goes well, handles well, but that engine, what a disappointment, shame i expected a silky smooth unit, but it was rough, like it had corrugated bores. My bonie is smoother.

Update Reply
thehairyone @ 22/07/2010 22:36  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email