MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Biker Books

Biker Books - Forums [Biker Match] Biker Books - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Biker Books

Thought it might be interesting to have a thread where people could recommend (or not) books on motorcycling. Apart from having maybe a dozen reference books on Harleys and even more so on old British bikes, over the last couple of years I have been reading more on the history and culture of biking. Right now, I am a few chapters in to "The Original Wild Ones - Tales of The Boozefighters Motorcycle Club" by Bill Hayes. So far it is VERY good!! If you want to know the truth (or at least another version of it) of what happened at Hollister and Riverside then get a copy of this. (Refreshing to see that lying, manipulating media scum isn't a modern invention...). Not a biking book, but if you like peeking behind the curtain of 'truth', flick through a book called "Complete and Utter Zebu" by Simon Rose and Steve Caplin. After this, I have bought a copy of "The Harley Davidson Reader". Probably not for everyone but I will let you know what I think of it anyway....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 19/06/2010 21:10  

Recommended: Angels of Death by William Marsden & Julian Sher Hell's Angel by Ralph 'Sonny' Barger Riding The Wall Of Death by Allan Ford & Nick Corble (get the DVD too!!) NOT Recommended: Bikers Handbook - becoming part of the motorbike culture by Jay Barbierei Actually had to look this up on Amazon because I gave my copy away (or burnt it or something) as it is utter tosh!! I had to re-read parts of this to see if it was written tongue-in-cheek but it is actually for real... AVOID!! Actually, no... go get a copy - it is hilarious!!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 19/06/2010 21:22  

Got a copy of Hells Angel signed by Sonny Barger (to me) . Might sell if anyones interested.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2010 21:23  

Also unwanted Signed Foggy Bio. Unwanted coz he's a big headed t*ss*r.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2010 21:28  

Under and Alone by William Queen.

Its the true story of a ATF agent who went undercover for two and a half years with the Mongols.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 19/06/2010 21:31  

National Georaphic did a documentry on that....was very good

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2010 21:32  

Yep, saw a doc on that too - very interesting! S66 - did you get the book signed when he (Sonny Barger, not t*ss*r Foggy) was at the Bulldog Bash in 2000?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 19/06/2010 21:35  

Another good book was by George Wethern....true life..cant remember the title sorry

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2010 21:36  

Think it must be " A Wayward Angel". Just looked it up on Amazon (and put it on my wishlist!)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 19/06/2010 21:40  

TeeCee....thats a yes to both questions

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2010 21:43  

I've got a copy of the Barbieri Bikers Handbook. No, I didn't pay good (or even bad) money for it. Yes it's hilarious at times - still can't make out if the whole thing's a wind-up!

Try Motorcycle Engineering by Phil Irving. over 40 years old and still full of wisdom. Maybe I should get a life?

Update Reply
Wills @ 19/06/2010 22:44  

Ted simon - Jupiters Travels is an exellent read.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 20/06/2010 00:36  

Barry Sheene's biography - Really good read, but does show him as a control freak & someone with OCD (Obsesive Compulsive Disorder) But also VERY funny Also Steve Hislops Autobiography - very interesting - shows his passion for racing but also his lack of business savy! Have got Foggys autobiography (signed copy also) but not got round to reading this yet. Also got the Long way Round & Long Way Down books - very good for dipping into

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 20/06/2010 09:02  

Hey I'm surprised no one has mentioned any of Peter Caves books, I read them when I was a sproglet of about 13. Funnily enough I still have them lolol. Chopper, The Run, Speedfreaks etc

Update Reply
DG99 @ 20/06/2010 09:43  

errr - yep - I had all of them when I was a kid too - unfortunately many years ago I sent them to the charity shop only to see a program the other year that says that they are now quite valuable!!!!!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 20/06/2010 10:02  

Cool wanna buy them? Lololol

Think I have quite a few of those type of books

Update Reply
DG99 @ 20/06/2010 11:08  

I've got - The last trip,The outlaws,The bikers,The bike from hell.All by Alex R.Stuart. Angels on my mind,Angel challenge.By Mick Norman. The sex and savagery of hells angels by Jan hudson and A place in hell by H.R.Kaye.Did have chopper and mama - loaned them out never got them back.Some of these are first editions,i dont think i will ever part with them.The book A place in hell had quite an effect on me in my early motorbiking days when i was about 22 years old. Read Sonny Barger's Freedom credos from the road a few months ago.Probably need to re-read it to absorb it though.

Update Reply
moongoose @ 20/06/2010 17:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email