MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Etiquette!

Etiquette! - Forums [Biker Match] Etiquette! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Etiquette!

Being fairly new on here, Im not quite sure of the etiquette to follow!

Nods - what do they mean? Are they 'hello, how are you?' or 'get your knickers off, youve pulled!'????
If you get a nod, should you always send a nod back? If you do, should the person who nodded first follow up with a pm? Or just forget nodding back and send a pm?

How does it all work???!!! Help!!!

Update Reply
VFRbabe @ 07/06/2010 20:08  

I have been treating it as no different from one biker nodding to another. I nope I haven't been asking anyone to 'get their knickers off'

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 07/06/2010 20:17  

This was a forum thread in the past and I concluded that a nod was the virtual equivalent of nodding to a fellow biker in passing... A friendly acknowledgement and not at all like a cheeky wink. Anyway, I asked a male friend what his interpretation is and he definitely saw a nod from a woman as, 'wayay, could be on a promise here' . Dunno if that helps

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 07/06/2010 20:21  

Thats not like you bl!!!

Update Reply
VFRbabe @ 07/06/2010 20:22  

O dear I thought the same as VFR my apologies’ to anyone I may have offended a nod is just a nod...

Update Reply
Tezzzer @ 07/06/2010 20:23  

You been trying to get peoples knickers off Tezzer?? Bad boy!!

So If a man sends a nod, its means get your knickers off.
If a woman sends a nod, its hello, how are you.

Right. So how should a woman reply to a man?

Update Reply
VFRbabe @ 07/06/2010 20:27  

That question could get a lot of answers there VFR., But I would say with a warm courteous smile...

Update Reply
Tezzzer @ 07/06/2010 20:31  

They were originally known as winks and treated as such. They were then changed to nods and are apparently to be used as was said as a greeting between bikers. but everyone has there own interpretation so its not at all easy to say how someone will react to getting one or the reasons for sending one. Life would be easier if they were dropped. we don't go around nodding at people in the street so why do it here. much more polite just to say hi. Sadley even doing that on here is taken the wrong way. That's the cattle market syndrome for ya.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 07/06/2010 20:35  

Probably we would all be better off not talking to each other as it seems every which way is full of pitfalls. To pm/nod or not to pm/nod that is the question.

Update Reply
DG99 @ 07/06/2010 20:54  

yes blues but peeps can see you on the streets not on here i hope it dont meen drop yeh knickers coz ive sent some to blokes too lol ah well ! need clearer giude lines on the nod button matt ( "are you sure you want to nod this person" ) i use it as a way of saying aye up

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 07/06/2010 20:59  

I accept a nod as a friendly 'Hi, how you doing?' What freaks me out is 'views', particularly when a member has viewed your profile 14 times in a couple of days..... now thats weird and verging on stalking...

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 07/06/2010 21:04  

Hmm well My thoughts on it are quite simple, you should nod to someone you are interested in meeting for whatever reason & if you recieve a nod just have a look at that persons profile which should give you an idea of what they are after before you do anything more. I'll admit some profiles dont give enough info so it can be difficult to judge EG: ''tell you later'' actually tells you nothing at all & i suspect some of those people will get ignored i dont agree that the nods should be dropped as they are a useful tool in making the first contact, those people who recieve a nod from me can then look at my profile & see if they think i'm worth meeting or chatting to While we're on the subject ... what are your thoughts on people viewing your profile multiple times ? personally i dont worry much & will generally PM a serial viewer if they are not a full member but i suspect some of the girls may many views without contact slightly disturbing scoob

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/06/2010 21:06  

Having still got my L plates on, I too was not sure how to accept a nod and apologise if I have offended anybody.

Update Reply
skinnylady @ 07/06/2010 21:07  

Oooh . .those serial viewers !! They spook me a bit too. Also, don't like people who have "viewed"you but have their profile disabled. .wot's that about!!
While we're on the subject . . neither do I like those "tell you later" profiles. Wot they hidin'??

Nods? always try to reply with a PM. .it's just being polite ain't it??

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 07/06/2010 22:30  

i took it that a nod is hello ,and if a nod comes back may be next is a pm.and to many views can be off putting,but i was viewed buy someone whos name was removed ,strange.

Update Reply
joesa @ 07/06/2010 22:49  

I don't think they were removed joesa. I'm fairly sure they've disabled there profile. Something usually done by newbies to the site who haven't the gumption to work out that you only need to log out to view people in peace. Unless you want the people whos profile it is to know you've been in there.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 07/06/2010 23:03  

thank you very much phillip

Update Reply
yamahama @ 07/06/2010 23:18  

blues, logging out doesn't let you view photos though - you have to login for that. I nod people for various reasons, like if they help me with something in the forum. I also nod as many new members of the site as possible, especially if they start a new topic in the newbies thread. Male or female, makes no difference - it's a "Hi, welcome to the site" when i don't have time to type out a message. People may view your profile multiple times if they have problems with their connection or browser and have to keep hitting refresh. Also, if they go into your photos and then back to your profile then it will put 2 views on the system. I can remove the count if that suits you all better?

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/06/2010 23:28  

Most folk only look at mine once throw up and never darken there door with it again !!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 07/06/2010 23:34  

Thanks Matt. Think standard members try to use multiple views as way of getting you to PM them.
Personally would also prefer not to be viewed by anyone if I can't view them back. Can you do anything with that one??

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 07/06/2010 23:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email