MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Appropriate riding clothing

Appropriate riding clothing (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Appropriate riding clothing (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Appropriate riding clothing

re For me, irrelevant of what sex, seeing someone on a bike dressed inappropriately doesn't make me think, 'cool', it makes me annoyed and think 'idiot'....just my opinion Personaly during sex i don't take much notice what the bike riders are wearing but thats just me...PMSL oh ahhhh now I know what you mean ..sorry lol...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/05/2010 23:19  

JB....your mind is in another place..........My kinda guy...Hohaha

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 20/05/2010 23:23  

Considering the fact that an off @ 30mph only needs 3 feet of tarmac to remove every layer of unprotected dermis, it is definately full armour for me ...The kids on the 50cc,s should have more info drummed into them at CBT schools, as for the assholes running a 500 in t,shirt & shorts to look cool, the choice is thiers, though they will learn the hard way. An obvious area where the safety laws need to be changed.

Update Reply
old red @ 20/05/2010 23:26  

Everyone knows its gonna hurt, maybe they should do a reality of injuries powerpoint lecture as the induction to riding before you even get to go on a bike or in a car... .. I remember when I joined the forces in basics we got a realities of war lecture and it showed the injuries and deaths from gun fire/ grenades etc just to make sure you understood what you arer getting into and to take away the TV version of a flesh wound......you are then asked if you wish to leave and go home... ...this approach then maybe a heads up on the various types of clothing out there and possibly a few shops signing up with discount packages on clothing etc...at least it will educate and if you have the funds you may buy decent kit..... As for summer you can get mesh clothing with armour that allows you to stay cool, I know even in a light weight jacket in Frnce last summer i sweated my nads of...and did eventually take of my jacket in Paris as I was getting severly dehydrated it wasn't clever and it wasn't big........but it was cooler lol......and the roads and french drivers were very very good towards bikes.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/05/2010 23:39  

I always wear me jacket and gloves and boots wot ever, I do own up to wearing jeans to go to work in, I only work 2 miles away. I have leathers but wen its hot I over heat big style and end up feelin sick and lose concentration, because of this i decided last weekend to purchase a pair of dragging jeans, they wernt cheap esp as I paid extra to have the hip and knee protectors put in as well, they are also lined with kevlar. I know the proctection from these wont be as good as leather but have gone for the best I can get on the kevlar and protection and comfort for me

Update Reply
drobess @ 20/05/2010 23:44  

rode round for years with only leather jacket and jeans on toe cap boots (work ) had several spills but never had any injurys apart from conjuntivitus ( salt from roads ) then my mate bought his first set of full leathers he was dead after two months ! now i was lucky and he just was plain unlucky so although i use propper bike gear now i think the most important thing is to stay alert at all times and keep your eye on other road users & confidence in your ability ( saw a guy wairing shorts today on a ducati too much confidence i think ) is the best wepon agaist major catastrophy !!!!!!!!

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 20/05/2010 23:48  

quote from old red .....An obvious area where the safety laws need to be changed like we need more rules & regs, more infrignment on our civil liberty & more non bikers telling us what we can & cannot do The possible results of riding without proper gear are made clear during a cbt & with any follow on training but you simply cannot force people to wear it, their body & their choice imo, mine also & i'd like to keep it that way thank you very much

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/05/2010 00:30  

I believe in freedom to make your own choices and decisions (including bad ones) as long as in doing so you don't interfere with other peoples freedoms and rights.

So, my personal opinion is that we shouldn't change the law just to try and prevent inappropriately dressed idiots from harming themselves (and no one else but themselves) on motorcycles.

It would be an completely unnecessary extension of the already ridiculous nanny state, and to what purpose? - it would simply give the authorities yet more means to harass motorcyclists whenever they choose to do so, simply in an attempt to protect fools from the consequences of their own foolish behavior.

Update Reply
Warhed @ 21/05/2010 00:35  

Warhead that post was far more eloquent than i could ever manage & got across my meaning perfectly , well said fella

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/05/2010 00:42  

I too endorse what you scooby doo and Warhed have said. We don't need more laws and the nanny state to impose yet more control over our lives. The crux of the issue is that we take responsibility for our actions and the most irresponsible people are those who are asking for more laws. By all means call for riders to be sensible and wear the appropriate clothing but we should be telling the state to sod off rather than interfere further with us.

Besides, primary safety i.e. accident avoidance should take precedence over secondary safety - mitigating the effects of accidents.

Live and let live!!!

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 21/05/2010 06:51  

Well said

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 21/05/2010 09:52  

Seems to me a lot of folk think if they are wearing protective clothing that they will be protected, WRONG!! It's more than likely you will be BETTER protected than if not wearing it but there's no guarantee of total protection. Example: Someone I know had an off, wearing full leathers yet broke his arm and split the skin while his jacket wasn't damaged at all. if he hadn't been wearing protective clothing it could have been much worse. So...don't go thinking you won't get injured just cos you're wearing it but better to be 'BETTER' protected than not at all. Also, if the protective clothing you're wearing doesn't fit you properly it won't do as good a job as gear that does.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 21/05/2010 10:01  

So true kwak seen it 1st hand lost a toe and badly damaged leg but she still has her leg and her foot so if you get and sweety exept it as part of biking it's not as hot as pushing yourself in a wheelchair

Update Reply
JP @ 21/05/2010 12:03  

Perception of safty I dont often ride in just shirt and jeans but if im just nipping down shop on hot sunny day. If I was on my push bike I would be doing similar speed. Each to there own but like has been mentioned dont bitch about it if you come off and get bashed up. If we look to government to force people to wear full protective gear how long before crash bars raise there head and restricted engine power

Update Reply
micksaway @ 21/05/2010 13:40  

How long is it gonna be before insurance companies void your insurance for not taking appropriate saftey measures.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 21/05/2010 13:44  

I think insurance companies can already reduce general compensation payouts by arguing "contributory negligence", so they could probably use the same thing in bike accidents.This is about not taking proper care to avoid an accident, for example walking across a zebra crossing without checking that a car has time to stop.They often use phrases like "reasonable expectation", so is it a reasonable expectation that a biker wears some protective gear? Probably.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/05/2010 13:55  

there are lots of cases where the first thing an insurance company does is either reject a claim or try to give less than you expect, and you should in 9 times out of ten reject the first two offers made by an insurance company as they will try to see you off...it saves them money....also look out for the other parties insurance a lot of the time if they are covered by the same underwriter they will try to go for a knock for knock again its cheaper for them and they can keep costs down...refuse it point blank if you have a case too put.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/05/2010 14:03  

As already said its down to personal choice ............... but common sense would dictate to most folk best to be safe than sorry, but hey ho , they think they look good were the rest of us are probably thinking ..... DICK

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 21/05/2010 14:26  

So Jackie, all you are thinking is "DICK"? 

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/05/2010 15:21  

Depends who i am looking at Gary

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 21/05/2010 16:42  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email