MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Appropriate riding clothing

Appropriate riding clothing - Forums [Biker Match] Appropriate riding clothing - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Appropriate riding clothing

This is just my opinion, but it is something that annoys me. With the weather getting warmer, I see more and more riders dressed in just a 'T' shirt and helmet. Surely this is madness!!! Just wondered what others thought about this!!!

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 20/05/2010 19:58  

My opinion is 'each to their own'. They know the risks, if they choose to ride like that, then they have to live with the (possible) consequences. I personally wouldn't, but then thats my choice. The law only states you have to wear a helmet, but common sense would dictate otherwise IMO

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 20/05/2010 20:04  

pet peeve of mine Bandit .. in a car we have to wear a seat belt cos of the dangers of what may happen.

On a bike the only thing you have to wear is a helmet ... & then they start going on about people injured on bikes would be cut if we did this that & the other to make it harder to ride one & nothing is said about clothing.

I am with you on this, pure madness !

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/05/2010 20:11  

Apart from the obvious protection benefits.....It must get cold if riding at any speed and, I know this may sound daft, but something hitting the naked arms at speed must hurt like hell

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 20/05/2010 20:16  

Even a bluebottle hitting my summer jacket hurts so gawd knows what it must feel like on flesh. They're obviously 'well 'ard' lol

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 20/05/2010 20:17  

Or 'Well Daft'

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/05/2010 20:18  

Back when I was much younger I always rode in jeans, and sometimes in a denim jacket, and I have the scars to prove it (which I wouldn't have if I'd been wearing any kind of protective gear). Some people (myself included) just have to learn the hard way.Wearing just a t-shirt is insane though.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/05/2010 20:21  

If i'm going out for a proper ride. Motorways, country roads and the like. Then the all the gear goes on. If i'm runnin up the shops then i leave my normal jeans on. I'm usuall wearing boots of somekind anyway. Having bounced down the road without gloves on when i was a lot younger and took the skin off. I never leave home without them. Saying that, while stood outside the house today, i watched in horror as this dick on a quad came up the road with a nipper who couldn't have been more than a couple of years old sat on the tank in front of him. Niether had any bike gear on what so ever

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 20/05/2010 20:28  

If you wont to know the benefit of decent gear, I know she wont mind me saying this low speed hard impact and mitchie is still with us

Update Reply
JP @ 20/05/2010 20:28  

Just don't buy those boots.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 20/05/2010 20:30  

Have you seen the americans on you tube, most of them haven't even got a t shirt on! Saw a guy on a 125 the other day, t shirt, shorts and trainers. He pulled up at the lights, went to put his left foot down and his lace had wrapped around his gear lever. He managed to save the bike toppling, but the schoolgirls laughing must have dented his pride cos he shot off sharpish!

Update Reply
brad_the_impaler @ 20/05/2010 20:33  

My personal opinion ...... A decent jacket, boots & gloves with jeans or in my case camo's is the minimum you should wear, i use leather trousers for the extra protection if i'm going out with a fast group but struggle with overheating after a while which can be as bad as wearing less protection, IE: the concentratin goes Textile trousers can be a good compromise but i guess each rider should tailor their clothing to the conditions, comfort & what they intend to do A T shirt, shorts & trainers is a big no no for me & i think people riding like that deserve everything they get

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/05/2010 20:33  

I've always worn full leathers, full face helmet, gauntlets and proper motorcycle boots since I first started riding back in the 70's.

"A T shirt, shorts & trainers is a big no no for me & i think people riding like that deserve everything they get "

Absolutely scooby - personally I couldn't care less as far as people who ride in t-shirts and shorts etc. are concerned - they're certainly no one I know or care about and so their stupidity and it's consequences are really of no concern to me.

Update Reply
Warhed @ 20/05/2010 20:45  

Was out last summer-think it was sunny for a day here- forgot my neckie and for a week my neck was itchy as hell .Bug splatter. t-shirt me thinks NO.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/05/2010 20:51  

Dropped the bike on a patch of diesel several years ago on the hottest day of the year while riding with gloves and helmet, but otherwise jeans and a shirt. Never again - lesson learned with no permanent scars but it was a near thing.

My pet peeve is scooterists who seem to think a lightweight waterproof is enough protection. Don't they realise that if you have an off at 40mph you hit the ground just as hard whether you've come off a Vespa or a Fireblade? Or indeed any speed.

Update Reply
Wills @ 20/05/2010 21:04  

For me, irrelevant of what sex, seeing someone on a bike dressed inappropriately doesn't make me think, 'cool', it makes me annoyed and think 'idiot'....just my opinion

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 20/05/2010 21:25  

Whatever the weather or temp, I ride with the same gear all year round. Full moto-x armour under my leather jeans and touring jacket, including knee pads, down hill MTB shorts (armoured down thighs and padded) and over the top of me jacket a flouro jacket of some kind. Both me jackets have zip/press stud closure, which when open are loverly and cold,... sorted, in any weather. The plonkers who ride around in their T-shirts/shorts and not much else, are just asking for a lot of pain when the inevitable happens,.... and it will, eventually!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 20/05/2010 21:37  

We've had this kind of discussion before and I remember a Harley rider saying that he wears a pair of jeans and a long sleeved checked shirt on his bike, sometimes getting some disapproving looks, but they were in fact proper motorcycle attire with kevlar protection. Some people may appear to be wearing 'just a pair of jeans' but in fact they have some pretty decent protection on, tho I'm not saying they will be anything like as protective as leather and hard armour. But it really does make my blood boil to see people riding in tshirts and shorts, whether they're on scoots or bigger bikes, it's just crazy. I bet if they had just one spill, they wouldn't do it again?! There's a picture on the net somewhere of a bloke in a pair of jeans that has some pretty bad 'gravel rash' to both bum cheeks! wouldn't like to have the job of getting the grit out of there! lol I will try and find it, but if anyone else can post it on here, please do, it might shock somebody into thinking twice about protective clothing. *Jeez I'm in a preachy mood this week.. lol..sorry.. roll on the weekend!! I need to chill!*

Update Reply
Karey @ 20/05/2010 21:40  

when in spain last year....was shocked to see how they ride their bikes/scooters/quads plus what they don't wear...even have young un's +shopping +family pet on board can tell the tourist biker a mile off lol

Update Reply
uglyducklin @ 20/05/2010 22:17  

Clearly these folk in t shirts etc have never had a spill - my blood runs cold when I see them. What can you do though.................

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 20/05/2010 23:18  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email