MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Is a nod as good as a wink to a biker?

Is a nod as good as a wink to a biker? - Forums [Biker Match] Is a nod as good as a wink to a biker? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Is a nod as good as a wink to a biker?

Is a nod really as good as a wink to a biker? I get hacked off by The Nod that some bikers give. I always raise a hand and wave unless I am line-dancing through the traffic. What do you do?

Update Reply
Redreynard @ 23/03/2007 16:58  

Always give a wave where possible, but dont get me started on this subject. I have been riding bikes for 23 years now and way back then ( in the good old days lol) every biker waved at each other. Now sometimes I find myself waving and getting snubbed then my wave turns into a 2 fingered salute. Maybe I am becoming a female Victor Meldrew

Update Reply
Bikerjulia @ 23/03/2007 17:05  

Ahh! Those were the days, eh? 32 years in the saddle and my demenor towards my, (so called), fellow bikers wears a bit thin when they can't even be bothered to lift a hand to me. Maybe it's my time of life or summat

Update Reply
Redreynard @ 23/03/2007 17:21  

No hun I really think its the born again breed, they are very much different from the old schoolers like us. I broke down (well I do it quite often lol) and about 10 bikes went straight past and didnt even acknowledge me, 10 years ago even if u stopped for a fag, a biker would pull up to see if u were ok, And I mean knee sliders whats all that about, the only time I get me knee down is just before the rest of me body follows Hmmm I think I am gonna get me arsed kicked

Update Reply
Bikerjulia @ 23/03/2007 17:37  

I get my knee down in only very specific circumstances

Update Reply
Redreynard @ 23/03/2007 17:59  

New to biking I do the 'nod', I too get snubbed by certain tourer type bikers (Maybe my rig is not big enough?). I've seen bikers wave but not sure if this would be seen to be illegal these days as you could be seen not to be in control of your vehicle.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/03/2007 18:18  

i have been riding about 15 years and i nod, but i try and make it more of a cheeky wink through a helmet kind. I dont wave, as on the zzr i am leant over and i would have to raise my hand quite a bit for it to be seen over the fairing. If you are on a more upright bike it isnt so bad. The French have a method of how you wave is dependant on the style of a bike, the more sports orientated the lower the wave, but as they ride on the right, you can see their clutch hand, whereas you can't over here as it is on the wrong side of the machine. The Germans are the best, one leg vigourously waved around, makes me smile everytime

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 23/03/2007 18:24  

Hand waaaaaaaaaaaay up in the air but that's cos i do that in the car, when i'm walking, at work!! Could be cos i'm slightly loony, just a thought.

Update Reply
Di @ 23/03/2007 18:30  

di could also be the initial symptoms of Tourettes lol. I hate it when people do that, i can never work out if i know them or if they waving at someone else, and by the time i figured it out, i have gone past them, which isnt a problem if i dont know them, but some of my mates must think i am a real ignorant cow

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 23/03/2007 18:41  

best i keep me hands to meself then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Di @ 23/03/2007 18:44  

you shouldnt say things like that Di, all the blokes will start feeling disappointed They like to dream, even if you are out of their league.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 23/03/2007 18:52  

Like ya style hun

Update Reply
Di @ 23/03/2007 18:57  

i,ve seen a few do that shake a leg thing , never sure if its just cramp tho

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/03/2007 19:34  

I occassionally shake my leg... but its usually followed by a wobble caused by all the piggin potholes in this town. Seriously - our roads are not biker friendly. Thats why I nod. Cos I'm too scared to take a hand off the bars. Oh, that and the fact stoopid tourists keep walking out in front of you so you have to be ready for a sudden stop.

Update Reply
dazpants @ 23/03/2007 22:18  

Nevermind that, lets get back to the girls' conversation! I do always nod though, never wave. Too leant over on sports bikes and u need to use both ur arms as support, otherwise u end up leaning on one hand which can cause u to begin a counter-steer move, etc. Only in the extreme of course, but it is too risky takin ur hands off on a sports bike (Except to stick ur finger up at some sod in a cage whos cut u up)

Update Reply
Matt @ 24/03/2007 06:36  

this could quiet well turn into the nodding dog sindrome !!!!! if all the bikers down matlock bath nodded to each bike heading that way they would all end up in physio the following monday morning.

Update Reply
storm @ 24/03/2007 07:33  

I have a serious riding position problem with sports bikes, maybe some of the other girls will understand, its about tits and how they get in the way (or dent the tank) hence the reason why I ride a retro/muscle bike type thingy. I can actually wave with both hands, best stop doing that though cos I am prone to hedge wandering! Sorry but its got to be a wave for me

Update Reply
Bikerjulia @ 24/03/2007 07:33  

depends on the road conditions and speed im doing as to wether i wave or nod but riding soft tail chop its not the best handling thing in the world so half the time just hang on and pray while waving :D

Update Reply
gsrider @ 24/03/2007 14:33  

Update Reply
Di @ 24/03/2007 14:38  

bj, i know where you are coming from on the sportsbike thing, that is why i ride a sports tourer. I once borrowed a friends 749 and he took my bike, apparently it looked like my head was on top of a hovercraft! Dunno what he was referring to

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/03/2007 15:41  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email