MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Honda Blackbird Anyone??

Honda Blackbird Anyone?? - Forums [Biker Match] Honda Blackbird Anyone?? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Honda Blackbird Anyone??

I've decided to change my bike for something I can get a bit more camping stuff on but still have a bit of fun when I get the chance and i'm thinking seriously about a Blackbird but probably an older model due to limited funds!

Anyone had one or got anything good or bad to say about them??

Or any better alternatives??

Any serious comments appreciated before I commit myself to something and everyone says "oh you should have got a ........ they're much better!"

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 19/04/2010 20:32  

The Blackbird is a very good bike RK, one of the best. If you're looking for an early model then there's little to beat it if that's the type of machine you're looking for.

If you however decide on something later then personally I'd go for a ZZR14 or a Busa, but there's not a lot in it to be honest.

Be warned though, any of the above can destroy licenses very quickly indeed.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 19/04/2010 21:15  

RK it depends on your budget really. Blackbird is an awesome bike, well suited for long distance work, but not sure you can gets lots of camping stuff on.
But I've not heard anyhting bad about them and I know someone whose had one for quite a few years.

Update Reply
SPESH @ 19/04/2010 21:21  

RK currently riding Blackbird with the intention of touring Europe. Very hard to fault ( I do work for Honda so a little biased ) As geoff says though very quick without giving the impresion of speed so be careful !!!

Update Reply
Eltel @ 19/04/2010 21:45  

down size a bit rk not mental but does same job as b-bird..saw you eyeing mines up at cumbrian rally i.e. all singing all dancing pre 2002 vfr.went to invernees at w-kend got 192 miles outa 1 tank cruised at 80-90[took wrong road 10mls extra lol]

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/04/2010 21:56  

ps havent heard any bad stuff about b-bird only watch yer speedo and back tyres1 a yearish.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/04/2010 22:03  

Have a word with micksaway Terry, he used to have one i believe. My ex had one, lovely bike but i didnt like it as a pillion. Cant say what it was like loaded up cos he didnt do touring/rallies etc

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 19/04/2010 22:05  

i sat on a honda black bird and found it quite small RK u can have fun on most bikes faster dosent mean better some time find bigger to fast for road use when there loads of trafic about i think its more about how you ride rather than what you ride so try it before you buy it chap

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 19/04/2010 23:13  

Fit loadsa camping gear on a XL 883 Harley sportster Terry And the kids,ll love polishing it too! Aint that right Wheely

Update Reply
old red @ 19/04/2010 23:59  

Thanks for all your comments lads n lasses.

The most worrying is Neal's comment about size as I've never sat on one and thought it was quite a big bike! I'm not looking for speed just something that can handle a fat lad and 20 stone of campin gear

old red I don't spose you know where there's one for sale by any chance eh

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 20/04/2010 07:49  

Mate at work has one and is built a bit like you. 

The riding position caused him all sorts of problems with his back until he got a set of two inch risers for the handle bars and now has no complaints.

Ask Ian (HG) he had a similar problem.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 20/04/2010 09:29  

i loved my blackbird, it was just too easy to go fast which is why i have gone back to a cruiser, but cant fault the bike, performance will scare you to death, the brakes are awesome, and the mirrors are a dream....plus i have a nice pair of blue flame tri oval dual port exhausts going for grabs if ya want them.....going cheap too

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/04/2010 10:53  

I know where there's a really nice one going for sale, he toured Europe with with camping gear, he's only selling it as he's got a GTR1400 now.

No where near you though and he's looking at about £3k, you dont say how much you want to pay?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/04/2010 18:06  

Again thanks for all the info folks

I'm looking to spend about 3k shadow but i've got a bike to either part ex or sell first.

Here's the current scenario- I've found a bike on ebay, a little older than I wanted but it looks great and low mileage. I emailed the bloke and asked if he fancied a deal with my Fazer. I rang him tonight and told him about my bike and he's interested in a straight swap. His bids are up to 1850 with 4 days to go and my bike is good for 2.5k. He was happy to meet half way on Thurs night and asked if I'd be happy to swap keys there and then, I said i'd prefer to meet, look at the bike then come home and think about it with a view to going to his house at the weekend to collect it.

Here's the link if you've got time to have a look, there's loads of goodies he's got for me to grab so should I swap and get as much from him in terms of goodies as I can or is the amount of work done to the bike in only 15k coupled with his keenness to swap keys (and the fact the bloke he bought it off can't find the service history/mot's) reason to walk away feeling i've just avoided being ripped off????

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120558174539&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2561wt_1165

Item120558174539 if the link doesn't work!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 20/04/2010 20:38  

terry your bike is ace mate why swap it for the honda ? ian would those pipes fit a daytona 900 as mine fell apart tonight

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 20/04/2010 22:18  

well there only slip on cans wn, so just depends on the diameter, i paid 300 quid for them on e bay, they cost 510 new, i would let em go for 200.and deliver them for that too

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/04/2010 22:22  

what diameter are they ian let me know ill think about it bud cheers

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 20/04/2010 22:24  

I'm just after something a bit more sporty and capable of getting more stuff on. I love my bike but suspension is sh*te and if you're touring or camping they all need a rear shock £330 and fork springs £80 so I might as well get rid and buy something that doesn't need modifying to do what I need.

Must admit it's a big decision though cos I know my bike inside out just about and i'm still 5% short of shouting yippee i've got a blackbird!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 20/04/2010 22:30  

Err wheely Ian offered em to me first and if I get the bb I'll be needin the pipes so give a man a chance eh

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 20/04/2010 22:32  

you wont be disappointed terry with a blackbird.....there awesome buddy, but got to be a black one !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/04/2010 22:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email