MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

fan not kicking in on my cbr600!!

fan not kicking in on my cbr600!! - Forums [Biker Match] fan not kicking in on my cbr600!! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

fan not kicking in on my cbr600!!

tis me again!!!! fan this time!!! bike getting very very hot the other day and the fan did not kick in. could it just be a fuse or??? any help/tips/ideas................. thank you xxx

Update Reply
willow @ 19/04/2010 19:16  

Bloomin heck gal, your not having much good luck at the moment ...

Hope you get it all sorted soon xx

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 19/04/2010 19:36  

On the cb1300 there's a temp sensor and a fan control relay, If its the same, as you have temp reading it posible that the fan relay has stopped working. should be easy for someone to put some power on the fan to see if fans ok. just swap relay to see if it works before getting a new one.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 19/04/2010 19:39  

Hi sheena, more problems eh? Chin up. there is not much to go wrong with your cooling system. I guess a lot of what I have put will go way over your head (bit like cooking for me PMSL) but your pet RAC man will understand it fully... I only have a wiring diagram for CBR up to 1990… although later models may still be the same…. Asuming they are not different then here are a few pointers that may help…. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> The electrical current flow is as follows…. Power goes from the ignition switch to fuse "A" in the fuse box. From there it goes directly to the cooling fan ( 1 wire in and 1 wire out ) then it goes to the fan switch were it waits to be switched to earth when the fan switch reaches the correct temperature. The fan switch is on the left hand side of the radiator. A quick test is to remove the wire from the fan switch, turn the ignition on and ground the wire to the frame. The fan should start. If it don’t then the voltage supply will need to be checked. First check should be the condition of the fuse and connections and ensure there is power present. Then power and continuity through the fan and then at the switch its self. If all is well there, what is needed then is a quick volt drop test that would highlight any high resistance in the circuit. But the circuit must be under load to do this.. Another thing that should be checked is that the fan is free to turn…. <o:p></o:p> If the fan does run when the fan switch wire is grounded then the following should be checked… The fan switch its self. This can be done by heating it up in hot water and measuring the temperature that it closes. This should be 98 – 100 degrees C. a multimeter set on ohms would be useful to monitor the moment the fan switch closes. Bear in mind even if the switch closes, bad internal contacts will cause enough resistance to prevent sufficient current flow for the fan to work... Bear in mind also that the fan switch relies on getting hot to function. Anything that prevents this will stop the fan switch from working. So don’t forget to make sure the coolant is not low, that the thermostat is working and allowing the coolant to circulate and the water pump is working. I have seen cases where the impeller of the pump becomes loose on the shaft and does not work properly…. I will check later model wiring when I go to work and if they are different I will pass it on

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/04/2010 21:16  

i think its time to change that bike sheena ! u want a harley dont you ! lol

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 19/04/2010 23:37  

You on commission big guy?

Update Reply
old red @ 19/04/2010 23:42  

a harley !!!!!!!!!!!! noooooooooooooo.......aaaarghhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol...........i wish i could afford a new bike but am stoney broke ! need a rich man to buy me a bike...yeah right , back in the real world thanks for the tips and i am going to see mt RAC man pet on sunday to hopefully get it sorteed!! watch this space................ xxx hugs n ride safe

Update Reply
willow @ 20/04/2010 22:18  

hay old red no mate im not but i do help my friends out when needed ! lol but im a crap sales man

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 20/04/2010 22:20  

I had the same problem,but on different bike,in my case i had a sticky fan, when the temp was high and if i flicked the fan blades it would spin ok untill the temp dropped,would not come back on unless i flicked again. Well i took the fan apart the coil was covered in white powder caused by water,by using a jet wash,had to buy a new fan cost me £200 notes, i cover it up now when i jet wash the bike.

Update Reply
rocketboy @ 21/04/2010 16:12  

Just had the same problem with my CBR900 the earth strap from the relay wasn't earthed properly, undid the little 8mm bolt cleaned it of WD40 screwed it back in and all's well again. did have to go through all the other checks as well before I found the earth strap, it's always the last thing you check eh Hope the RAC man can help you out cheers Tezzer

Update Reply
Tezzzer @ 31/05/2010 21:57  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email