MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Driver Jailed for blocking Biker

Driver Jailed for blocking Biker - Forums [Biker Match] Driver Jailed for blocking Biker - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Driver Jailed for blocking Biker

Just took this from the mcn, A father-of-two who moved his car to prevent a motorcyclist overtaking has been jailed for eight months for dangerous driving. Andrew Sherratt, 32, caused “life-changing injuries” to 49-year-old Andrew Morris by forcing him into the path of oncoming traffic. Paulinus Barnes, prosecuting, said: “Mr Morris went to overtake the defendant. “There was some traffic coming in the other direction but the road was wide enough for the motorcycle to overtake the car. “The defendant deliberately turned his vehicle into the centre of the road causing impact with the bike and forcing him across the central white line.” Simeon Evans, defending, said Sherratt “did not think there was room for the motorcycle to overtake him and decided to block the gap. “He wishes he had done the opposite and moved towards the kerb but he only moved a small distance rather than swerving. “The reason he did it was misguided but he maintains that he was trying to decrease the danger.” But Judge David Hale at Warrington Crown Court said: “You’re a young married man with a loving family but any time any of us gets in a car we are taking control of half a tonne of lethal metal. “You say that you were trying to block him for his own safety but you could have moved left and your decision had disastrous consequences.” Morris suffered multiple arm and wrist fractures after colliding with an oncoming car on Burtonwood Road in Warrington Road, Cheshire, on July 23 last year. Sherratt, from Warrington, was handed a two-and-a-half-year driving ban on top of his jail sentence on Tuesday.

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 12/04/2010 10:56  

His defence sounds like the best a solicitor could do, to minimise the sentence

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 12/04/2010 11:02  

Well i guess eom defence is better than none even if it sounds like complete bulls***

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 12/04/2010 11:05  

unfortunately we all meet drivers like this, usually rog the reps in audis/bmw's from experiance......a whack of the wing mirror works wonders. There are times when we need to let people know that they are idiots.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 12/04/2010 12:29  

In the summer months when they drive with their arm out of the window I've been thinking of carrying a water pistol in a little holster.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/04/2010 12:39  

I whacked a wing mirror a few years back. However, my whack was somewhat harder than I had anticipated and the offending mirror came off.

That evening the boys in blue came knocking lol!

However, to be totally fair to them, the sergeant who was following it up was a biker himself and he carefully explained that no damage had really been done as the mirror simply clipped back on. As such, he further explained that if it was an accident and I hadn't meant to catch the mirror, no further action would be taken.

"It was an accident", says I.

"Not a problem," says he, "have a good night."

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 12/04/2010 12:42  

Love it Froggie

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 12/04/2010 12:48  

It was a little scary to be honest. The Polizei turned up, knocked on the door and I thought "What could they possibly want, I'm a good boy."

They then asked me if I had been riding my motorcycle through Colton near Leeds that morning and if I had spoken to a young lady in a red Ford Ka. And if I had then made contact with her offside mirror after being unhappy with her response.

To which I responded with "Oh!".

Basically she'd cut me up at a roundabout by straight lining it (left lane, right lane, left lane) as I was in the right hand lane. I'd stopped her and politely (genuinely) advised her of what she'd done and she'd told me to "P*ss off" and sped off away. Or at least the thirty yards she got before hitting stationary traffic.

So I "clipped" her wing mirror on the way past. Just a bit too hard.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 12/04/2010 13:06  

lol thanks for the advice about what to say. Wonder if that'd work over here though

Update Reply
Matt @ 12/04/2010 13:17  

Good on the judge, but he could have given him more. I had a similar thing happen to me on the A1 in standing traffic, guy in jag in lane 2 moved left to block me filtering but guy in lane 1 saw this and moved left also keeping the gap and allowing me to proceed, he got a from me.

Update Reply
Doh Boy @ 12/04/2010 13:22  

I spoke to Andrew on Friday, the company I work for deals with his accounts. He is glad it is all over as he was a lot more than that injured he is still suffering now and he still cannot ride ride propperly as a result has had to give up his bike that he loves to his wife and start riding cruisers as his legs won't bend propperly now.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 12/04/2010 13:33  

Is the mentalist fit to be let on the roads again tho, I mean he reckons driving into the path of a bike was his way of keeping the biker safe, jeez! with mates like him ya wouldn't need enemies would ya?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 12/04/2010 15:06  

you never know kwak i may just meet him one day as he trys to stop me overtaking in a truck just as the cars seem to apper very dented after straight lining roundabouts when im in the n/side lane as thay TRY to exit the rounabout funny never seems to damage my truck that much

Update Reply
JP @ 12/04/2010 15:37  

The roundabout in Pickering, (the A170/169) is very bad for folks getting blocked/cut up. If your heading towards Scarborough from Helmsley, and your in the right hand lane, (to go towards Malton), the tin boxes almost allways straight line the roundabout. I've ended up with a couple of foot from the off-side of the car to the kerb countless times,.. so now I just keep me finger hovering over the horn, ready to wake em up!! I've not needed to use me boot yet, but been sorely tempted a few times,... Hmm, size 12 alpinestars imprint on the drivers door?

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 12/04/2010 21:13  

i had a old half blind grandad cut me up on a roundabout in chesterfield , he was next to me going onto the roundabout him turning left, me turning right, it was a big roundabout so how he managed to cut me me up i don,t know !!!! oh did i mention i was driving an artic at the time and he got into the front nearside blindspot !!! in my lane !!! and his responce was where did you come from ??? glad i wasn,t on the bike with nuggets like him about !

Update Reply
bigned @ 12/04/2010 21:38  

OOoo Ned did he infiltrate your 20 feet lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 12/04/2010 23:37  

its happened to me before in a traffic jam on the M5 and I found that after he had deliberately pulled out on me and opened his door to stop me passing then calling me a "fg queue jumping bd biker"........well over take on the other side and if you allegedly pull out a can of chain lube and give the wind shield a squirt it takes a long time to get clean on the hard shoulder and your gone before hes out the car... ( hypothetically of course) ..........I would under no way encourage this behaviour but some people in flash cars who do this sort of thing put us all at risk... and piss me off

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/04/2010 23:42  

oooo JTB luv it wen ur yeti like go on do it again lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 12/04/2010 23:43  

Finally there is at least one Judge in the country with half a brain As the muppet driver deliberately pushed him into the path of the car. Why was he only charged with dangerous driving

Update Reply
micksaway @ 13/04/2010 00:31  

Mick, I suspect if they'd gone for attempted murder he'd have been cleared. Better go for the lesser charge that's got a chance of sticking.

Reminds me a bit of a time when I went to overtake two cars at once. Rear car moved out to overtake the first one at the same time, I had a brief eye contact with the driver of the rear car, followed by a few seconds at 70mph on the grass verge on the right. Definite change of underpants job though

Update Reply
Wills @ 13/04/2010 01:05  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email