MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Average Speed Cameras

Average Speed Cameras (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Average Speed Cameras (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Average Speed Cameras

If you want to se the end to cameras the solution is simple, for the next 6 to 12 months don't speed, these are only in place because they make money, if they don't make money, they will be removed, the government take the money, the local authorities pay for the cameras and get funding from central government, no money, no cameras, simple.

Update Reply
thehairyone @ 09/04/2010 22:34  

well, i've just been for a run over the pussy fiddley road....what a difference!! those cameras seemed to have had an effect..there were a good few bikes there tho..................bloody idiots have ruined it for the rest of us..............tis one of my fave roads too...........xxxxxxx ride safe

Update Reply
willow @ 10/04/2010 18:36  

if i ride ...catand piddle, dont mind the 50 max,,,,,,,,,,just enjoy the scenery, but going to Stormy Petrel near ternhill, there's not much fine scenery,( good roads) but still see lots of risktakers on a Thursday eve, speed limits are not the issue,,,,,,,,,riding within ones limits is

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/04/2010 23:51  

Re, Oh and I am one of those that you would call a "speed nazi"!! Maybe if we ever meet I'll bring some photos from work that'll guarantee you never swing a leg over a bike again! Wouldn't stop you riding at all, I could take and show pictures from my work at a recruiting office and it wouldn't stop guys joining up, we are all adults at the end of a day and if an idiot crashes because he drives like a maniac its his own shout at the end of a day..... .....of course we all hope that there is no damage to the person because he may have a family dependant on him...but should his bike take a leathering then maybe just maybe it will slow the guy down

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/04/2010 00:53  

a lot of it depends on experience, years of riding, etc... but even that does not count for a lot nowadays... as a pilly, all I can do is trust - if they think anything about me, and they do, they don't go silly, whether they drag race or not.... if they're daft enough to attempt it then they cant think a lot about me, and I'm so lucky that they do... feel safe everytime........... know I'm lucky

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 29/04/2010 02:05  

average speed cameras!!!!! aint they forward facing ??? only 1s i have seen are on motoway and they were...so did not affect speed of bikers as no number plate and cat and fiddle is like devils bridge on a sunday ..full of power rangers pissin everybody off thinkin hey can ride (till it rains and they all go home ) lol

Update Reply
reaper_soul_man64 @ 29/04/2010 03:24  

Averidge speed cams on motorways are om the gantry over all lanes and thay do take pic from the rear so expect a lot of post coming you way if you ignor them

Update Reply
JP @ 29/04/2010 07:11  

Now apparently those cameras on the Cat and Fiddle have an inherent problem, theres a short cut between them and the pub is in between the cameras. So can't see how that will stop the idiots to be honest, they will just ride stupid and stop for a fag. I personally hate that road, not for the wallys on the bikes, but for the guys in pseudo performance cars pretending its the Nurburgring. We all know four wheels are gonna get you round a corner faster than two, its a given. Nothing worse than some c*ck trying to stick close to your backside round those twisties. Hmmmmmm maybe I should change that phrase it doesn't sound quite right.

Update Reply
DG99 @ 29/04/2010 08:47  

Agreed Cat & Fiddle is the last place to go for a blast. They'll sort the average speed camera c*ck -up, now MCN have advertised the fact Most average speed cameras are currently only front facing, tho they're working on rear facing, clearly they're rear facing on the C&F for eg. The variable speed limit cameras on motorways are rear facing.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 29/04/2010 09:44  

The variable speed cams on motorways work as average cams I have been told by a man in traffic that you dont get nicked passing 1 a bit over but if you trip 2 or more at over the 10 percent you get fixed penalty I have no reson to disbelive him as I have known him for over 20 years and allways put me right

Update Reply
JP @ 29/04/2010 17:50  

average speed camras easy realy just ride though at legal speeds and time it then go back and go as fast as you dare then stop and wait before the camara fot the aloted time that way can have fun round fave bends and they dont get you simples X

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 29/04/2010 20:30  

No probs there Wheely,.... been doin it for ages, s'pose some clever @ugger will figure out a way to spoil that plan eventually!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 29/04/2010 21:06  

The cameras on the Cat and Fiddle are Specs 3 and differ in a couple of ways to the ones used on motorways.

Firstly, they can be set rearward facing. Specs 2 cameras aren't very good at reading number plates if that plate is moving away. I have been told why, but I can't remember. Specs 3 however can read number plates just as well when they are moving away as they can when they are moving towards them. This allows them to be set up to specifically target bikes.

Secondly, Specs 2 work in pairs. So along a length of motorway the first and second camera work together, then the third and fourth etc. This did cause a problem a few years back with people learning this and then counting cameras so they could then speed between say the second and third. This was solved by fitting dummy cameras.

However Specs 3 don't work in pairs. They work as a group with each camera talking to all the others. This way if for some reason once camera doesn't manage to pick up your plate the system can still calculate an average speed.

One point though, DG99 is correct, there is a problem with the C&F cameras relating to the short cut from Walker Barn to the pub itself. Worse, this short cut is subject to a 60mph limit and is between two of the cameras.

Therefore someone could travel at 50mph along the C&F, turn off at Walker Barn accelerate up to the new limit of 60mph before rejoining the C&F at the pub. The issue with this is that although that motorist would have at no time exceeded the speed limit, the average cameras would have recorded them as doing so.

Indeed, given the shorter distance and the higher speed, it could record this motorist at a speed of up to 67mph, which if they wanted to make an example, could be a court appearance!

This is an issue that has only very recently been raised and I mean to speak to Derbyshire CC to see what is intended to be done about it, if anything.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/04/2010 21:27  

nice one geoff but u deffo get the glasses my friend i bet they drop the short to 40 mph rather sorting it out properly

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 30/04/2010 02:05  

JP - didn't know that. I wonder if they've been changed / upgraded because the white line measures are still painted on the carriageways.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 30/04/2010 08:54  

Cheers WN .... I think lol!

You could be right about the 40mph suggestion or possibly a point closure or similar. The ideal solution would be the installation of one or two more cameras and then running them as two separate systems, one to the west and one to the east. But this would be very expensive.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 30/04/2010 12:43  

whos side you on there geoff

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 30/04/2010 16:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email