MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Smoking to be banned in cars?

Smoking to be banned in cars?  (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Smoking to be banned in cars?  (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Smoking to be banned in cars?

Maybe a similar system could apply to smoking (wacky or non-wacky backy lol). Maybe even "light" recreational drugs which the Drug Advisory Board specify. Smoker for example could face a fixed penalty if smoking in front of children, whether it's their own kids or not. Smoking in a car (in my opinion) is dangerous as it distracts the driver from keeping control of the vehicle (it's the same as barbie doing her make-up in the mirror while driving). Smoke all you like in your own home, with no kids, and keep putting the price of cigs up to pay for the NHS (though it should be reviewed every few years to show that smokers aren't paying for other things). A "rehab" tax should be put onto all legal drugs like alcohol and cigrettes which are addictive. Then rehab centres, nicorette patches, gum, "electronic" cigarettes, hypnosis treatment, nicotine-free cigs, etc should be free (or massively reduced in price). Here in Holland you can buy cigarettes without nicotine in them for about 15 euros per pack!!! My friends want to try them but can't afford to. Aparently they taste like normal cigs and you loose your addiction in a month or two.

Update Reply
Matt @ 24/03/2010 14:11  

Last point... society should stop criminalising people for smoking weed, taking ecstasy, etc while smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol are socially acceptable. A fine for possesion is one thing, but to ruin someone's life (possibly loosing their job, chance of getting a new job, etc) for smoking weed is outrageous. It's funny that my friends here who smoke weed (I dont) say things like "ah I'm out of weed, need to go down to the shops. What does everyone want?" lol.

Update Reply
Matt @ 24/03/2010 14:14  

All comes back to the same problem tho. How do you maintain individual freedoms in what is supposed to be a democracy ? Before we ban anything, be aware that there'll be someone who wants to ban what we do. There's too many instances of this govt trying to control the extremes and, in practice, curbing the freedom of the responsible majority.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 24/03/2010 15:16  

Cissy... is it your right to smoke crack cocaine or inject heroine? Whats the difference between that at smoking? Where do you draw the line? Is it your right to smoke weed? Again a grey area. In my opinion - it's your CHOICE to do what you want to do, but don't make people around you suffer, especially kids. Matt... first of all, smoking is LEGAL, crack, heroine, cocaine etc are all ILLEGAL, so, no, I do not have the right to smoke crack etc. I in no way make people around me suffer. I smoke outside in my garden when at home (nope, no-one else there) and I smoke in DESIGNATED SMOKING AREAS when out and finally (for the third time) I do NOT smoke around my kids, or anyone elses for that matter. So, does that make me a responsible smoker I wonder? At the end of the day, the police can't stop people using their mobile phones in their cars, so I can't see how they are going to stop smokers. I would like to see an immediate ban on people who lob lit fags out of their car windows when a bike is behind them, but I doubt that will happen either. This is gonna be an unpoliceable offence at the end of the day. Some great statistics though Matt, thanks for sharing

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 24/03/2010 15:18  

I'm talking about your morole right, not what you can legally do. Just because weed is illegal, do others not have the right to choose to smoke weed if they want? But it's ok as long as it's within the law? Why is something that's legal and far more dangerous than something illegal considered fine just because it's been legalised hundreds of years ago? For 40 years the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (the offical government council) have been researching every kind of substance and making countless recommendations to government. These professors, doctors, scientists etc are constantly ignored by the powers that be who favour tax money over peoples' health. It's so bad that half of the council quit in protest last year! So if the ACMD say something is bad, but the government make it legal, that means you then have a 'right' to do it? There's a difference between what's allowed and what's a human right (like water and food are a right, tobacco is not).

Update Reply
Matt @ 24/03/2010 20:16  

Why dont we all start living a George Orwell 1984 lifestyle ?

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 24/03/2010 22:23  

Why don't they ban non smokers from smoking pubs instead, that way we can keep all the clean living nerds out

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 24/03/2010 22:51  

RK like ur reply better than mine lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 24/03/2010 22:52  

The next thing will be you carn't smoke in your own house, Well iv'e got a cig machine so you'll never take me alive.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/03/2010 22:56  

class reply RK... simple quick easy answer, straight to the point and makes so much sense... would do the pub trade a world of good... I like it..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/03/2010 22:57  

Matt I hope you're not tryin to turn this into a non smoking site. I think you'd be surprised how many of your customers on this site are smokers and sit down to enjoy the site with a cig/spliff and a beer. I don't smoke in front of my kids for moral reasons, i'm quite capable of reaching for my fags while driving the same as you are of reaching for your indicator and if you want the right to clean air I presume you only ride/drive electric vehicles as your principles wouldn't allow you to contribute to the smog in every major city would it?

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 24/03/2010 23:17  

Ban non smokers!! oh RK you put a smile on my face this morning!! Class!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 25/03/2010 06:41  

Matt...one person can not dictate what is a moral right and what is a legal one. If the law says it is legal, then that's good enough for me, and I would NEVER stand in judgement of someone for smoking if I chose not to. Not sure about where you live, but here we are watching our rights be stripped away, slowly and surely. It is not my right to smoke around people and children who do not like it, because that directly affects them, but it is my right to smoke if I choose to do so, away from anyone else, or in company of other smokers. I was living abroad when the smoking ban came in here, I returned in October, and was appalled at being forced to stand outside in the freezing cold. I couldn't avoid pubs as we were gigging in them, or I would never have gone in one again! But, now, I actually have got used to it, and don't give it a second thought... and as I think i said before, the smoking area outside pubs is usually the most sociable anyway. Like RK, I can reach for a smoke as easy as reaching for a CD to put on the stereo whilst driving, or the indicator. And I might be harping back, but the police cannot enforce the mobile phone ban, so I would like to see them try with this one if it ever comes in!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 25/03/2010 06:51  

No smoking in cars, Oh that'll work, it's unenforcable, just like the mobile use, and eating a bar of choccy, There's not enough Police on the streets, to make a difference, iwhere were they yesterday when some K/H pulled out on me on a roundabout on his mobile without looking....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/03/2010 14:59  

Have to agree with Cissy that th emost popular places at pubs and nightcubs is the smoking area

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 25/03/2010 15:16  

Very nice to be able to go out and not go home, reeking of someone else's habits tho That's only been possible, since the indoor smoking ban.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 25/03/2010 16:29  

Not sure why they just couldnt do what they did years ago where u smoked in the bar but not in the lounge, that way everyone has a choice

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 25/03/2010 16:32  

Can't remember the last time I went into a pub like that. Most are open plan these days. There's always the staff to consider aswell.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 25/03/2010 16:37  

Thats true but if u work in a pub u know ur goin to go home smelling of sumat lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 25/03/2010 22:03  

Fair point about not going home stinking of someone else's smoke. I don't have a problem with the indoor smoking ban, but I DO object being told that I can't smoke in my own car when I am the only person in it! I had a chat with a local copper yesterday, and he just laughed when I asked him if he thought this could be enforced!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 26/03/2010 12:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email