MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Email response times and site development

Email response times and site development - Forums [Biker Match] Email response times and site development - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Email response times and site development

For those of you who don't know, I recently injured myself in the gym (i think). I've given myself a hernia/prolapsed disc in my lower spine. This is preventing me from sitting, especially at my office table for long periods of time. Therefore I'm not able to program new sections of the site as much as I'd like. I'm trying to keep on top of all the emails coming in, but even that's proving difficult as I'm starting a new job at the moment also which is kicking hell out of my back. Please be patient if I don't respond to your emails right away, and please don't be requesting unnecessary new things on the site for the time being. Obviously if something appears broken then please bring that to my attention asap. Here's some MRI images from my back taken this morning...

Update Reply
Matt @ 23/03/2010 21:33  

Matt you have my sympathy i have been to the docs today and am on very strong painkillers for my back ! Don't know what i have done to it, never had it before and hope to God it's a short term thing.

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 23/03/2010 21:42  

Ouch! Take it easy Matt, did mine when in mid twenties and it went back by itself so stay positive!

Update Reply
Scorpio54 @ 23/03/2010 21:45  

Thanks, I really want to hear from more people who've experienced this. Will it really fix itself? What should I do? Docs just keep saying to exercise but I can't understand that (nor does it help the pain)

Update Reply
Matt @ 23/03/2010 21:50  

Doc told me to ignore the old way of thinking that you should stay in bed but stay gently mobile as much as you can bear ( which is why i gritted my teeth and went to Matlock on Sunday ! )

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 23/03/2010 21:53  

When it is fresh it will hurt Matt,, damaged tissues are sore. You don't want it to freeze up so movement/flexibility is good. When it settles down exercise will strengthen the muscles that support it.

And there is somebody in that MRI and it is freaking me out!!!!

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 23/03/2010 21:58  

oh yeah looks like a ninja!

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 23/03/2010 22:01  

I had recurring back pain after motorcycle accident when I went back into office environment make sure you've get rid of those bad habits slouching at desk and get your seat and screen set up correctly made a helluva a difference for me mean't I wasn't in agony after every day at work hobbling out to my car..Also tried swimming when up for it works wonders...good luck with your recovery Matt

Update Reply
Rooster roo @ 23/03/2010 22:07  

Not sure it's a Ninja but ,,,, hhhhmm, what have you been eating, Matt???

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 23/03/2010 22:12  

That Bl**dy ninja gets everywhere doesn't he ????

Has he kept his pants on this time??? haha

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 23/03/2010 22:16  

Matt, every one's back pain is individual, I expect no two back problems are alike so it will be impossible to make comparisons with others. Also what treatment suits one may not suit another. It's true that keeping moving, not gymnastics, but gentle regular movement, or swimming is preferable to keeping still. Your back will freeze up and be more painful if you don't keep moving. Unfortunately once we suffer an injury early on in life it's more than likely to affect us when we are older, arthritis sets in. If I'd known about your predicament earlier I wouldn't have put my request in lol Look after yourself Matt and I hope you're pain free soon Sandi

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/03/2010 22:21  

What should I do? Docs just keep saying to exercise but I can't understand that (nor does it help the pain) The current inflamation in the muscles will not be helped by doing too much too soon as the pain will cause the back muscles too spasm/tighten and so not let the disc return to it's correct position. Presume the docs have prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs that are Ibuprofen based with other painkillers but ensure you take with food as they really do cause digestive tract issues if you don't. On the up side after the initial invalidity period I gradually strengthened my back to the point that I can occasionally get a "twinge" if over zealous but have not had re-occurrence in 30 years despite, like you, spending the majority of the day hunched over a computer, so take heart there is light at the end of the tunnel

Update Reply
Scorpio54 @ 23/03/2010 22:22  

Matt I did mine, a lot is to do with over working when tired or muscles are tired and not enough core stability, the ridiculous weights we carry in the Marines doesn't help. I found initially physio and then a program of rehad followed by regular core stability exercises to keep the core stabilisers firm prior to moving. You really got to set the core before you move, it prevents agitating an already weak point in the back. If you are finding sleeping awkward try putting a pillow between your knees it evens out the load if you go on your side. Really mate take your time and don't rush it, i kept going as I was being thrashed at the time by pti's and it has turned into a long term injury, which I can manage ok. Get one of these and use it to ease the pain and the knots http://www.thewheatbagstore.com Works a treat when it is uncomfortable pop in microwave or freezer works both ways. Anyway I hope it recovers well, just don't rush it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/03/2010 22:34  

Boss Man i had an op 2 years ago to correct a prolapsed disc, best thing i ever did. Generally they do correct themsleves i was one of the unfortunate 1 in god know how many.

During time before hand i was told to do keep moving as it would help but not to do anything daft (which is prob why i went formula 3 racing doh!!). Will be painful for a while, if th epain becomes too bad, take sumat out the freezer wrap it in a towel and put it on ur back, once you feel its gone numb slap a hot water bottle on straight away, dont ask me to be technical as to wht, but it works to release the spasam (trust me my sons a nearly doctor lol)

And by the way did anybody else think that if you squint and tilt your head to the left the second pic looks quite rude

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 23/03/2010 22:46  

LOL trust you Jackie ....stop leading me astray

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 23/03/2010 22:54  

Anne made you look though didnt it lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 23/03/2010 22:55  

and i just thought i could see a ninja type person !

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 23/03/2010 22:57  

tilt ur head the other way and close one eye u'll be more than surprised at what u see !!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 23/03/2010 23:09  

lol trust u lot to shed comedy on the situation :-) And thanks for all the advise. Keep it coming.

Update Reply
Matt @ 23/03/2010 23:12  

it's what we do best Matt try to take your mind off it

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 23/03/2010 23:19  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email