MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Vertically challenged female seeks advice!

Vertically challenged female seeks advice! - Forums [Biker Match] Vertically challenged female seeks advice! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Vertically challenged female seeks advice!

Handy top tips required for shortarse learner. Thinking of a Honda CM125. What do you think?

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 23/02/2010 00:53  

Minnie I think you should draw up a short list of say 5 bikes you like the look of, find them for sale in your area then go and sit on them and get a 'feel' for them. You might find you change your mind about the model you started with

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 23/02/2010 00:58  

I had a C M, my inside leg is 28", and it was just right for me, however it was an old bike (1982)so I don't know if that was the standard height or if it had been modified. I'm with Rusty on this one, alway best to sit on them, the bikes I mean, then you get a feel for what suits you, what you'd be comfy with. My own advice would be don't ride a bike if you can't put both feet flat to the floor. You need to feel confident otherwise you won't enjoy the riding. The Yamaha SR 125 is pretty similar to the Honda CM in styling and there are lots more younger models of the SR than the CM I had. The CM is a pretty heavy bike for a 125, folk thought it was a 250, that's what I loved about it cos modern 125s are too light.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/02/2010 01:14  

I would agree with the advice above. Try some of the semi-custom style 125s for size and see if you're comfortable.

Don't forget the Suzuki GN125 which is similar to the SR125. I've had personal experience of a GN through Moonstone who, I'm sure will give a testimonial. It's a very capable bike and easy to work on. It can be difficult to start if left standing for a while but otherwise no problem. I have ridden her GN for a couple of 100 mile journeys and it's fine - as long as you're not in a hurry.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 23/02/2010 07:18  

on of my ex girl friends was only 4 foot eleven tall she managed a honda CD 200 no problems so a CM wich is slightly lower shouldnt pose a problem i wouldnt think

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 23/02/2010 11:43  

RK not sure draw up a short list was maybe the ideal phrasing lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 23/02/2010 11:49  

have you done your CBT? what did you use for that?

Update Reply
julie j @ 23/02/2010 12:14  

i think cg125 thats low im only 5 foot 4 and i have no probs on that

Update Reply
monkey1985 @ 23/02/2010 12:24  

Pardon the pun eh Jackie, well spotted

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 23/02/2010 12:46  

Buy a pair of Daytona Ladystars boots Minnie. Not cheap but very, very well built. Of perhaps more importance, they offer a raised sole of about 1 inch and a raised heel of about 2.

Roachy bought a pair early last year, has done a lot of miles in them and yet they still look like new. Plus they have offered her a lot more confidence than a normal pair of boots would as it means she can have both feet flat on the floor on her CBR.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 23/02/2010 12:58  

how about a raleigh striker ??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/02/2010 13:07  

may find; the weight of a bike is just as important a part of the equation .......and confidence .....and style of riding.

Update Reply
clarissa @ 23/02/2010 16:46  

Wow. Masses of top tips there folks. Thanks for all your responses. I'm 5 foot and errr shrinking. I used my instructor's CM125 and kind of fell in love with it, so got a bit excited when I saw one for sale on ebay yesterday. It's probably fortunate I was outbid cos I probably need to do a bit more research, as I may find something which suits me even better. Cheers

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 23/02/2010 19:15  

tbh I don't find e-bay cheap these days. Too many folk get carried away, in the rush to win Bike trader is better, I find.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 23/02/2010 20:37  

i agree with Rob,,,,and with biketrader there's also room to haggle on advertised price,,,sometimes on phone before you even go and inspect,,,,,worth a punt

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/02/2010 20:41  

I don't recommend bike trader, when I advertised my bike I didn't get one genuine response and got dozens of scammers.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/02/2010 23:24  

Hi Minnie
I am 5Ƈ and short in the leg. I have had experience of riding a Yamaha SR125 and I got on ok with it. I had a few lessons and could manage it ok but I must admit when looking for a short arse 125 bike I actually bought a Suzuki Gn125. I am not really into custom bike but both bikes do border onto being a slighy custom so have the lower seat. When I tried the GN125 after riding the Sr125 I was pleasantly surprised it was far more comfy for me and my feet were in a better position or me to ride. I have done quite a few miles on it and the only short coming is that I need to start it a couple of times a week otherwise its a bit of a naughty starter. Thats not a problem in the summer but if your a bit shy of the wet and colder weather like me I tend to leave it under its cover. I think also the Gn125 has a little mopre power bottom end so you an get away a bit faster also it pulls a lot better than the Sr125 I used to ride on. The Gn125 is deffo top of my flops. Good luck with whatever youy decide on
lin

Update Reply
moonstone @ 24/02/2010 01:26  

Hi Lin that's really helpful. The ebay cm125 seller got in touch cos the ebay winner was jerking him around, and i got a second chance to buy but I've decided not to....although bidding was soooo exciting and easy to get carried away. Clearly I've been saved from my more impulsive tendencies! I shall now go forth and make my decision based on all the helpful advice above. Ta

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 24/02/2010 20:50  

Hi Minni Glad to be of help. I would be quite willing to let you have a go on my Gn if you want. trouble is I am in redditch and my Gn is in Hemel... I am moving to Hemel hempstead in 10 days time so ig you are in that area you will be welcome. Pm me if I can help that way
And good luck with whatever you decide
Lin

Update Reply
moonstone @ 24/02/2010 23:09  

Thanks for the lovely offer Lin and good luck with the move. As for the raleigh striker suggestion, Ian...very constructive...you cheeky git!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 25/02/2010 08:09  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email