MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

The biker nod??

The biker nod??  - Forums [Biker Match] The biker nod??  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

The biker nod??

Here we go folks daft question but the place to ask it I guess anyone know why we bikers give a nod when passing an oncoming bike as I reckon only about 60% of bikers do it. Is it nod of respect you chose the path of the righteous and got yourself on a bike or respect for your machine or something else????

Update Reply
Rooster roo @ 08/02/2010 23:18  

its a nervous twitch from years of wd40 sniffin

Update Reply
julie j @ 08/02/2010 23:20  

I still nod as a pilly, whether the rider of the bike does or not, or the one coming the other way does. It's a simple gesture of, hi, enjoy your day to me, nothing else. Is it normal to nod as a pilly or is it just me?

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 08/02/2010 23:22  

i nod as a pedestrian or when driving the car,but strangely enough not so often when on the bike

Update Reply
julie j @ 08/02/2010 23:30  

WD40 mmmm and CastrolR, now we're talking!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/02/2010 23:31  

I nod at all other 2 wheeled people. Its a sign of respect IMO. I still believe that bikers(of all persuasion) would help out others, at least i hope they would.

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 08/02/2010 23:33  

I nod at all bikers, it's kind of a club thing being a minority group maybe. Even if some of them are to ignorant to respond or maybe there just hanging on for grim life!!!lol I've noticed that other groups like sports car owners and camper vans do it to, by flashing their lights. I'm dreading going on the Wootton Basset run, fg heads gonna fall off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
trikerider552 @ 08/02/2010 23:36  

I think trikerider and dc are right in that people nod as a sign of respect for choosing something different. I nod a lot but i'm surprised at how few people (especially sports bike riders) bother to nod back these days. I'll always stop to help if someones at the roadside but i'm not so sure the scooter chavs would bother dc!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/02/2010 23:45  

i even nod scooters how bad is that ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 08/02/2010 23:48  

That's bad Wheelie, they not come after you for taking the pi*s?

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/02/2010 23:51  

ha ha ha they never keep up with me on drobs 250

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 08/02/2010 23:54  

Nothing wrong with nodding at scoots!!! Seriously, if it's 2 or 3 wheels I nod. Unless it's "Danger Gran or Grandad" on the mobility scooters and then I tend to dive out the flippin' way!!!!! My other half drag races a twist and go scoot. (His brother rides the fastest drag twist and go in the world 119 mph over standing start 1/4 mile) Just something I've always done.

Update Reply
Di @ 09/02/2010 00:46  

The nod is as has been said above a greeting between bikers and yes there are a growing number of poseur bikers who don't acknowledge a nod, when I was a lad up North of scotland it was a left wave of sorts, just a raise of the glove..... I too never pass a biker pulled up at the side of the road...lol usually Harleys with something worn through or fallen off (ok I'll standby for incoming from all the HD peps now lol) On the continent a lot of bikers will stick the foot out, the foreign bikers I pass all give a nod or the usual foot out......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/02/2010 00:53  

I've never been lucky enough to travel J - don't think it's a poseur thing as such, the youngsters nowadays just don't give a stuff - comes with the era we live it

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 09/02/2010 01:23  

I used to nod at all bikers when I rode my own bike and still do now I'm just a pillion, but to be honest we shouldn't be annoyed when it's not reciprocated cos it could be that the rider is deep in concentration on their own side of the road, and gawd knows we need to concentrate these days. *nod*

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/02/2010 07:40  

I agree with johnnytb, I tend to nod or raise my glove to other bikes/scooters/trikes...... I also raise my right glove for overtaking bikes and the majority do respond.... To top it all it shows that bikers/pillions and want to be's are the best people on earth!!!! obviously as with all walks of life there a a tiny few exceptions!! craig....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/02/2010 09:41  

I have been a hardcore biker for 26 yrs and the reason we nod to each other is as a mark of respect for each other as bikers. We belong to a special group a brotherhood/sisterhood of bikers, and we put up with some crap at times especially from the coppers. So basically it is a mark of respect and a hi how r ya! Bikers that dont i just think are rude and are not what i call real bikers. Don't cost much to nod and it shows we r united. Hope that answers ur questions guys. Chris (Bear)

Update Reply
Paladin @ 09/02/2010 11:34  

Nutkin honey it's a bit of both really, youngsters tend not to nod until they are re-educated by the rest of us lol. As for posers yep i can agree there are a lot of weekend warriors in their-all-in-one-colour-coded-to-the-bike-leathers that just dont give a flying fek about other bikers and these usually give the rest of us a bad name. I have never past a biker in trouble, broken down at side of road. Most bikers would do the same, What makes being a biker so cool the comraderie that you wouldn't get anywhere else

Update Reply
Paladin @ 09/02/2010 11:42  

Sniffin wd 40 !! wow thats where I been going wrong, I bin necking it lol

Update Reply
Bloggsey @ 09/02/2010 15:33  

lol at Steve, i was a synthetic guzzler whoop whoop since i switched to drinking semi-synth its been all good lol.....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/02/2010 15:37  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email