MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Bike that tells you how fast to corner

Bike that tells you how fast to corner - Forums [Biker Match] Bike that tells you how fast to corner - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Bike that tells you how fast to corner

Motorcycles capable of warning riders when they’re speeding, cornering too fast or too close to the vehicle in front are to begin UK road trials in June. The warning system is a prototype of safety technology the European Commission (EC) would like to see manufacturers put on road bikes in five or six years. An EC-funded research project called Saferider will equip at least nine bikes with the technology, including a Yamaha Tenere an X-Max 250 scooter, and a Piaggio MP3 Hybrid. It’s likely they will use satellite navigation and speed limit maps to warn the rider when he’s speeding. A "curve speed warning" feature will tell the rider when he’s approaching a bend too fast. Sensors will detect objects ahead and warn riders if there is a risk of collision. Current trials involve simulators but bikes are to be tested on the road this summer ahead of public demonstrations at the Mira test track in Nuneaton on November 5. Dr. Roberto Montanari, technical manager of the project, at Italy’s University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, said: "We are in the development phase and the riding side will be done in June."

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/02/2010 14:42  

Can't see the point tbh. There's no system that can take account of all factors, including road condition, type of machine, rider ability etc etc etc The system will therefore be set at the lowest level, to cover a worst case scenario, ie worthless to 90% of riders. Might be an entertaining feature tho. Set the warning off, or accept you're riding like a wuss

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 08/02/2010 15:29  

yeah ok, you can work out speed, angle of bend, camber maybe but what about gravel, wet, all the pot holes that are"not big enough to be called potholes".....can't see it really......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/02/2010 15:51  

Sometimes i wish i was terminated at conception when i hear the constant --- safe ..safer ..safest...tell you what don't ride a bike because you are going to die !!!! --- mentality that is being applied to motorcycling.
Stop trying to protect us from ourselves, we know it can be dangerous we accept that fact and sometimes buy a bike for that reason.....

Well i have said enough and i have to go now before the men with white coats come for me.......

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 08/02/2010 15:54  

Just look at it as Geeks Heaven ................ bless they have to design something each day or they have withdrawals

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/02/2010 16:19  

I think I agree with Rob (I'm making a habit of that lol) doesn't seem much point. I also agree with sdv9r, FGS!! most sports are dangerous, don't hear the government announcing tight restrictions, crippling rules and extortionate money making schemes to those pastimes. I wish they'd shove off and give long-term vehicle drivers more checks, and awareness tests, in respect of bikers sharing the same roads as them. Why is it bikers all the time? Amen lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/02/2010 16:43  

This contraption will take away the need to practice practice practice... whatever happened to making mistakes and learning from them ?

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 08/02/2010 16:50  

Can't say anything as I'm involved. I see people are bitching already lol People bitched about seat belts and ABS on cars at first too. I'm reserving opinion. And the bikes tested in November were not fitted with the system, they were being used to assess the visibility of road signs for different user groups, ie we had trucks, bikes and cars all using the same section of track to determine how readable different styles of signs are under varying light conditions.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 08/02/2010 20:53  

Be a sad world if we all agreed on the same Jim, and you won't say anything, it's your paycheck afterall and it's not professional to do so. I still think it's taking away personal judgement - what happened to looking a mile up ahead, past several vehicles, watching your speed and using common sense ?

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 08/02/2010 21:18  

I don't think anyone could argue about the benefits of some research, such as seat belts. But "The warning system is a prototype of safety technology the European Commission (EC) would like to see manufacturers put on road bikes in five or six years." Yeah right. The day I need a gizmo, to tell me how to ride, is the day they nail the lid down.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 08/02/2010 21:56  

Well said Rob

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 08/02/2010 21:57  

May be good as a learners aid

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/02/2010 22:10  

On second thoughts... Wasn't me officer, the gizmo made me do it And if they don't accept that, sue the manufacturers

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 08/02/2010 22:15  

Now ur thinking man like Rob lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/02/2010 22:16  

BJ said: may be good as a learners aid may be, but as a pilly I still look a mile up the road and keep an eye open, and thats with my silly problem!

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 08/02/2010 22:17  

I must be doin sumat wrong then cos when i ride pilly all i see is whats behind us !!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/02/2010 22:18  

Conspiracy theory.....they tell us its a safety gizmo to help us live longer lives and die as a lonely o.a.p. aged 147 crippled with debt caus we cant pay the gas bill.....but i digress.......while keeping us safe it also records time and place and speed and is connected to your debit card so if you speed or park in the wrong place....... your gonna pay before you no it.

UP THE REVOLUTION

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 08/02/2010 22:57  

*A "curve speed warning" feature will tell the rider when he’s approaching a bend too fast.*

I'm not so sure this is such a bad idea but it depends on how the informations given to the rider for it to be useful. If it's a buzzer and flashing light it would be as much use as a chocolate poker but if it's shown as a gauge indicating your approach speed against a predetermined marker then it could be a way of helping you judge the road ahead better. I think experienced riders can suffer the 'i've been riding for years syndrome' and take it or leave it but new riders could find it helpful. Obviously anyone with half a brain cell would take into account road conditions and gravel, potholes etc are just as much a surprise with or without this system so you wouldn't follow it to the letter.
I've got a warning picture comes up in the car if I hit a certain speed and you'd be amazed how many times I say whoops and ease off a bit. I don't see it as something undermining my driving skills, more a driving aid.
Anyway just a thought and only my opinion

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/02/2010 23:00  

End of the day, no one knows whats ahead on the road - I lost a much loved friend from my teens, four years ago who had been riding for years. He was 6ft 3, on his Blackbird,hit a gravel patch, hit a road sign and died instantly - no one knows whats ahead, safety devices or not - ride safe all

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 08/02/2010 23:14  

ye gods are they trying to stop us having any fun ! it all part of there plan to introduce auto speed restrictions on cars and bikesso when you hit a 30pmh zone your bike will auto slow down how boring would that be erh ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 08/02/2010 23:57  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email