MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Events Photo Gallery / Removal of tagging

Events Photo Gallery / Removal of tagging - Forums [Biker Match] Events Photo Gallery / Removal of tagging - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Events Photo Gallery / Removal of tagging

Friends, I'm hoping to build a gallery system for the events section, in the same way we currently have for the profile photos. The problem is the tagging system. I need your help deciding what to do, we simply can't have tags in the events photos if we go with the photo gallery system (which I want to do). It IS however possible to create a gallery that shows WHO is in a photo, but now WHERE in the photo they are. i.e. You can say "I'm in this photo" but you can't place a tag over your own face. The benefits... Faster and more efficient Modern and more user friendly Works with Firefox/Chrome etc Advanced uploader for automatic resizing/rotating Up to 200 photo uploads each in one go, not 1 at a time like now Disadvantages... You can't tag your exact location, only the whole photo.(Photos will still appear in your profile though) ...Can't think of a 2nd disadvantage

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/02/2010 15:58  

If it means nobody can suss its my butt i'm in lol Rather have the gallery myself

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 05/02/2010 16:56  

I'd rather leave it as it is Matt... as in have the gallery myself

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 05/02/2010 18:20  

Those who DON'T use Internet Explorer at the moment will know how bad the events section is for them to use. Even those who do use IE don't have it perfect, but it's better than those using Firefox. That's because I couldn't get the tagging working right with firefox.

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/02/2010 18:52  

If you can still tag a photo and say which person you are on it I don't see a problem myself

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 05/02/2010 19:19  

i like the tagging system as it gives u a chance to go back and look and remind yrself of who people were, so i vote to keep the taggin

Update Reply
drobess @ 05/02/2010 19:29  

Matt, is it too difficult for you to design the new one and put it up as a comparison alongside the existing one so peeps could then vote for or against depending on what they perceive as a gain or loss. We know you've got loads of time on your hands and are just looking for something to do anyway (says he with tongue drilling hole in cheek and making a rapid exit before the shooting starts!

Update Reply
Scorpio54 @ 05/02/2010 22:31  

The existing system works adequately for me where I can place pictures and tag mine and others' in spite of the alleged disadvantages of a Mac and Firefox. I am also very conservative with IT and don't like changes. So my vote is to leave well alone.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 05/02/2010 22:43  

lol yea rolling in time ;-) No it's gonna take a lot of work to create the new photo gallery to replace the old/dated one, so if I do it then it will be a complete change-over. The tagging would still work in the new system, and tagged photos would go into your profile... you just wouldn't get your name TAG next to your face (There would probably be a list of people next to the event saying something like "In this photo: John, Jane, Bob, etc"

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/02/2010 22:44  

I thought the whole idea of tagging photos was so others would be able to put names to faces and make it easier to identify fellow members, when attending a gathering?? I assume you mean to remove the photos from the events calendar and have them in a separate gallery? WHY? If there is no way of tagging the photos it will be a gallery of nameless faces, only old timers like me will recognise. Can't see the point of having a list of names but not being able to tag the photos, that doesn't help with identification of individuals. I find the way it works now is fast enough and don't think it is dated. I get the feeling that by the time I finish this post you will have already started, if not finished, the changes. 'Why fix what aint broke'?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 05/02/2010 23:48  

Everyone suspected I was a bloke till I was tagged in a photo - now they know for definite !!! lol

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 05/02/2010 23:54  

Dont do it Matt please!!!. I am really happy with the way it works now and I agree with Kwak its a matter of instant recognition. i think your on your own with this decision and its a step backwards. Progression isn't always the best option. I think we need a campaign cos I have a feeling that the big boss will do what he wants in the end.
Ever though of being a politician Matt?
please leave it mwahhxxxxx

Update Reply
moonstone @ 06/02/2010 07:08  

Don't do it please Matt ... I totally agree with kwak the whe idea of the tag is great, especially after the event when you have met loads of people and want to recall names, photos with more than one person in them a tag helps otherwise it's a case of ... Ok well this person is in the pic but I cannot for the life of me recall who us who.

Your new banner pic is a good example ... It was only my 2nd bm meet and without the tags I would never have been able to recall who was who.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 06/02/2010 09:09  

yep, i'm with everyone else here - it's nice to be able to identify who is who.

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 06/02/2010 09:35  

I agree because it may not be easy to remember people by looking at their profile pics if they are taken at a distance or are not ..ahem....up to date !

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 06/02/2010 10:36  

ok but something has to be done in order to bring the old-style pages (used by Firefox etc) in line with the newer ones (that IE uses). Basically if you use Firefox, then each time you click a photo it has to reload EVERYTHING. This is really slow, frustrating to use, and heavy on server resources. People also keep asking me to do something about the single-uploads. It's frustrating being able to only upload one photo at a time when you've got 200 to upload (what takes 3 hours now would take 3 seconds if I made it like the photo galleries that profiles use). The problem with browsers like Firefox is that the browser doesn't handle the mouse-click right on the new pages... the x/y co-ordinates aren't correctly handled. IE handles it fine, hence IE got a newer version (and still has) of the events photos pages. Another solution would be to have each thumbnail open up the main photo in a new window when clicked. How does that sound? Because in a new window I'll be able to get both IE and Firefox to handle the mouse-click (for tagging) in the same way. For those who say don't fix what aint broke... well it IS broke which is why I'm trying to fix it.

Update Reply
Matt @ 06/02/2010 10:44  

ok if it's better for the site but that could have been written in Swahili .....lol

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 06/02/2010 10:53  

It's your site, Matt and you know best how it works. However, it's a bit pointless asking us what we think if you're going to go ahead with the proposed changes anyway, particularly when the consensus was to leave the events pics as they are. Eventually no one will bother to express an opinion when asked since they will expect it to be ignored.

So I have posted and tagged my pics from the MCN Show while I was still able to do so.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 07/02/2010 20:42  

mmm am not really that great with computers but a found the tagging system quite simple and fast

Update Reply
madhat @ 31/03/2010 00:46  

mmmm thats all gobbly gooke to me matt , and i do agree that puttn names to faces is helpful to people like me who have just recently started going to rallys and things

Update Reply
madhat @ 31/03/2010 00:54  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email