MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

No points for fixed penalties

No points for fixed penalties - Forums [Biker Match] No points for fixed penalties - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

No points for fixed penalties

I found this on another forum. I dont know if its true, but thought id put it up here so people can give it a go and see what happens.... Only accountants could come up with this one - Pay your fine, but, NO POINTS !!Read on :-This is how the points get added to your license:If you get a fixed penalty notice through the post which also carries penalty points the computer system first sends you a demand for the cash.When you have paid, it then sends a demand to return your license for endorsement.It cannot handle the license endorsement and the payment at the same time, and it cannot process the points part of the system until the financial section is complete.If you overpay the fixed penalty, it must issue and send a refund cheque for the overpayment. Therefore, overpay the fixed penalty by sending a cheque for the full amount plus £1.00. The computer will then automatically generate a refund cheque for the over-payment and send it to you.**** Do not cash this refund cheque - DUMP IT.The system then remains 'open' and cannot generate the 'send your license for endorsement' demand part of the program. It does, however, record your payment of the fixed penalty, so it does not trigger the 'follow-up unpaid fine' stage. As there is no human intervention, the system will leave you alone, since it has got your money, which is the primary objective!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2010 10:08  

Sounds intriguing ................... doesnt what the system is someone will always find a loop hole in it .............. dont think i'll get a ticket to try to prove it lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 05/02/2010 10:43  

Theory's been around for ages. Might be worth trying, but don't hold your breath

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 05/02/2010 11:05  

Slidy if there's no human intervention the computer must be able to open the envelope and read the cheque you've posted!

eeh the power of new technology eh

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 05/02/2010 19:17  

I would suggest that once the refund cheque is issued it would show a zero balance against your computer record and the computer logic would read something like IF paid_indicator = true AND outstanding_balance = zero THEN issue_licence_demand() result = screwed

Update Reply
Scorpio54 @ 05/02/2010 22:51  

Cheque is sent back to you with letter to send correct amount

Update Reply
micksaway @ 05/02/2010 23:22  

Sounds good, but I have always had to send my licence back with the fine......

Update Reply
nitrousnige @ 13/02/2010 01:09  

I'm with Nitrous on this one.

I've had two NIPs in the past, both from safety cameras. And in both cases I received my Notice of Intended Prosecution, whereby you have to confirm that you still own the vehicle and you were the driver at the time of the offence. There have been numerous "systems" to get out of it at this stage, but from what I can tell, none of them work.

The "can't remember who was driving" could potentially work at one time, but since they changed the law to say the owner is responsible this possible loop hole has been closed.

Similarly the "I never got the NIP within the required 14 days" or simply claiming you never got it if it wasn't sent by registered post doesn't work anymore either. This is because again the law has been changed to say that the ability to provide confirmation at their end that the NIP was posted in sufficient time "to be reasonably delivered with the 14 days" is sufficient. Which I personally feel is unfair.

After the NIP you then get your fine, which unless you've been travelling at crazy speeds is normally a "Conditional Offer" of a fixed penalty, the conditions being that you agree you're guilty and you pay the £60 within thirty days.

However, another condition of the offer is that you also send your license in for endorsement at the same time as you send in your payment.

You can alternatively refuse to accept the offer, in which case you will be assigned a court date and the chances of coming away from court with a fixed penalty is very small. You are more likely to get 3-6 points and whatever fine the judge considers fit.

As such, although I could be wrong, I'm not sure anyone is going to get the chance even to try overpaying the fine.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 13/02/2010 13:37  

Yeah spot on geoff, unfortunately another internet myth by the sound of it, and yes you are right about the time limit being out of order, especially with the post office "problems" , but they'll get ya one way or another - and probably some members will say serves ya right! But that's another discussion, and I'm up for it

Update Reply
nitrousnige @ 13/02/2010 22:29  

If you use Slidy's method then you could be prosecuted for perverting the course if justice. No penalty points just prison time.

Update Reply
Phil @ 13/02/2010 23:45  

Hmmmm, not sure how paying a pound over the fine can be construed as perverting the course of justice - seems a bit harsh , however it doesn't happen that way....you send your license back with the NIP and you are done, both fine and points, unless you go to court to argue the case of course.

Update Reply
nitrousnige @ 14/02/2010 02:17  

If you know that the system cannot issue the endorsement until the balance has been cleared. If you know that by over paying the fine they have to issue a refund and you don't cash the cheque thus not allowing the balance to be cleared. Then you are preventing the course of justice. Just like in the past where the driver of the car knew he/she was driving but responded to the NIP by saying that they did not know who was driving. That is also perverting the course of justice. You could of course put the theory to the test.

Update Reply
Phil @ 15/02/2010 00:18  

I would suggest this issue will have been fixed fairly quickly by the authorities in question.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/02/2010 17:45  

I agree, lets face it, big brother is gonna get you by the short and curlies one way or another..... any time you find away around something you will get hammered as an example to others unless a. You claim discrimination. ....or b. You are dead, in which case they will nail your family in your absence..... lol....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/02/2010 18:08  

Paganprince, I think you misunderstood my reply...blimey, I feel like I have been judged and found guilty for having an opinion on a forum! What I meant by it being a bit harsh for being done for perverting the course of justice is that I certainly do not know that the system cannot issue the endorsement until the balance has been cleared or that by over paying the fine they have to issue a refund and you don't cash the cheque thus not allowing the balance to be cleared, so therefore how can I be guilty of perverting or preventing(?) the course of justice, and I don't think anyone else does on here either by the sound of it - it's a myth as far as I am concerned. I was actually saying the opposite as I said in my previous post, and that you will not get away with it as that is not how it works, you have to send your license back with the fine, unless you have a very good reason for not doing so. Also, they can refund any overpaid amount, so again it will not work, why should they not be able to? I do actually have evidence of this as I had a refund from a court once for a whole £3.00 overcharged! Lastly, I have no intention of trying it out, as I am now a law abiding citizen who only does 15mph everywhere - I'll leave that to someone else, time for a beer cheers....

Update Reply
nitrousnige @ 17/02/2010 22:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email