MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

New security: Events Attendance Lists

New security: Events Attendance Lists (2) - Forums [Biker Match] New security: Events Attendance Lists (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

New security: Events Attendance Lists

me thinks the lady doth protest too much !! lol

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 10/01/2010 20:15  

doth er??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/01/2010 20:18  

RK, think you might be missing my point. I am fully aware of that. All I am saying is that any risk, be it at work, home, on the net or on the roads should be kept to a minimum where possible. I spent almost 10 years working on aircraft and almost 20 as an RAC service patrol (both dangerous jobs) so everything about me says keeps risk to the min. I not going to make a big issue of this because its each to his/her own at the end of the day....just exercising to rights to express my opinion

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/01/2010 20:24  

add yourself to the event after the event, newbies can see a nice active site and no one can plan in advance to come round and rifle through your knicker drawer whilst you are livin it up in a field somewhere!

Update Reply
julie j @ 10/01/2010 20:29  

I not going to make a big issue of this because its each to his/her own at the end of the day....just exercising to rights to express my opinion

any reason for the big print then Paul

I agree with everything you've said Paul and if you carry out a risk assessment I think you'll find the odds of being done over through a site as secure as this will be more than your calculator can cope with. I wasn't missing any point, in fact I was taking your point on board but simply stating the risks are ok for me, if they're not for you you do have choices

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 10/01/2010 20:34  

add yourself to the event after the event, newbies can see a nice active site and no one can plan in advance to come round and rifle through your knicker drawer whilst you are livin it up in a field somewhere!

Very well put

Don't forget though if you don't add yourself to the event but you discuss it in the forums the risk of Rogers brothers sisters uncles step fathers brother could be watching, take heed!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 10/01/2010 20:38  

RK wrote: Thought so Geed, thanks for that, i've turned the search lights off so I can sleep in peace tonight I take it you have told your neighbours opposite to turn off their outside light then that brightly beamed through the curtains all night

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 10/01/2010 20:42  

i think its good to get an idea if people are active and sociable, the attendance list helps with this, if they have no events listed and you are here for dating this gives the impression that they don`t get out and about much.

Update Reply
julie j @ 10/01/2010 20:49  

Ouch so subtle!

Wrong thread nut

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 10/01/2010 20:49  

as subtle as a pea-nut from a straw

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 10/01/2010 20:58  

The events list also adds to your Karma, so definitely add your name after an event at least Nobody knows your address!!! Only the town/city that you put in your profile. Nobody is going to trawl through hundreds of events specifically looking for your photo to know when you're away - it would take forever and doesn't give them any information other than a picture and date that person could be away from home (Wherever that home may be) Nobody can break into your house if they only have your photo! They don't know where it is, who else is home, what you have at home etc. You could have a guard dog and an angry wife back home! lol Anyone wanting to specifically target an individual to break into their home would have better means of reconnaissance than to find a random site for bikes and randomly go through all the events to find a time that the person MIGHT be out, POSSIBLY leaving an empty house! I stress again: NOBODY CAN SEE YOUR ADDRESS ON BIKERMATCH. Your address isn't even stored in the database, only your postcode... and only the beginning of your postcode is shown in your profile (Which is probably 20 square miles or something) As someone has already said, if you did a risk assessment of how likely you are to get broken into just because an event has your photo on you'd find it's extremely (off the scale) unlikely. BM is extremely secure also. We're going through extensive hacker penetration testing right now. The site and code have already been verified by Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, Comodo, Cardinal Commerce & McAfee. One last thing - I'm not going to make the attendance list only visible to paying members, cos there aren't many paying members to begin with and there'd be too many non-paying members affected by such a change. The attendance list is useful for standard members wanting to see who's going to an event before they go - the photos, and knowing who's going, adds security and protection for those wanting to go to their first BM meeting without knowing anyone. Scenario: Jane Smith joins BM cos shes looking for someone special. She sees that the site is 75% male and is a very cautious person. She wants to attend an organised BM event with many people in order to protect herself. She doesn't want to upgrade her account until she's been to the event to see what BM members are like. Being able to see all the photos and profiles of those going to the event enables her to print a quick list of faces to look out for at the event as well as being able to see if there are any other ladies going. I think it's important to have the attendance list available for non-paying members for security reasons and also to promote greater site activity (and hopefully hold on to visiting members, which recently we've been unable to do for some reason).

Update Reply
Matt @ 10/01/2010 23:25  

you have more chance of peeps knowing you are out or have gon away due to the fact of leaving ya house wiv a loaded bike. any1 walking past the house at this time could see you leave and think........mmmmmm empty house. so the site is more secure than that as it only shows the town we live in n that mite not be correct if you dont put the correct info

Update Reply
drobess @ 10/01/2010 23:42  

Well I'm glad that YOU are having the "extensive hacker penetration testing" instead of ME, Matt I (for one) have no worries about the security of this site and my home as well. Anyway, if anyone wanted to burgle my place when I'm out then I only hope they take pictures of themselves being eaten by the Worlds biggest Doberman and being taunted to death by two teenagers

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 10/01/2010 23:43  

Karma - Nut adds herself to every single event possible......tick addy - only friends know, no worries...... tick pic- pretty safe, I look diff 3 years on...... tick house - safe - the hamster from hell lives there, no 'better half' .......tick postcode - hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... untick............ ok, tick, I do live on the biggest council estate......... tick I think at the end of the day we joined this site to have fun and laughs and not worry about our homes - if we worry so much our homes that they remain a 'prison' that deters us from making friends and having good memories

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 10/01/2010 23:44  

rusty. Lol

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 11/01/2010 11:04  

If I'm out at an event, I'll have the bike with me, so nowt worth pinching at home With Matt on this one, there's much easier, more effective, ways of finding empty houses than trawling thro here.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 11/01/2010 12:53  

A lot of events on here have threads associated with them. A lot of peeps say they're going without putting themselves in the attendees list. Perhaps jonny burglar will just wait for a hot sunny day if he knows you've got a bike. Your security is your problem away from the site. Not Matts. If you know the pitfalls then it's up to you to lock your doors and windows before you leave.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 11/01/2010 13:28  

Personally if someone wants to come break in my room there welcome to try..... got two armed guards on the main gate along with attack dogs and armed patrols...lol...best of luck....and its top floor of the mess as well........ now where did my ..... go....mmmhhh

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/01/2010 18:20  

haha that's brilliant johnny. So you'll be putting your name down for some events now then? BTW, it should be illegal for a grown man of your build to like pop music! I hope you don't mean Kylie and Steps Welcome to the site

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/01/2010 22:31  

Being able to see who attends what event can give you a bit of an idea of that persons likes and dislikes and also gives you something to talk to when you meet em, not that i have a prob talking, the shy retiring type of person that i am, cant see owt wrong with it myself

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 11/01/2010 23:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email