MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

New security: Events Attendance Lists

New security: Events Attendance Lists - Forums [Biker Match] New security: Events Attendance Lists - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

New security: Events Attendance Lists

From now on everyone's attendance list / events section on your profile page will only be visible to other members who are logged in. Your events can no longer be viewed by guest visitors - they have to login to view where you're going. Hope this helps improve your personal security and gets the attendance list feature used some more. For those of you who don't know how to add events to your profile, simply go to the events calendar and add yourself to the attendance list of an event (You wont believe how many people write to me asking how to do this!)

Update Reply
Matt @ 10/01/2010 00:40  

Once you've added yourself to the event, in the event calendar, it automatically shows up on your profile page. If you remove yourself it automatically removes it.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/01/2010 00:44  

i see vfr pauls point, if you put yourself down for events, you are clearly showing folk you are away, now i am sure all our members are honest folk, but it does make you think....when i am away my best friend Mr Myagi the black belted karate ninja with his 5 rotweilers looks after my house.....oh and my two cats too !!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/01/2010 08:29  

Blimey knuckles all i have is a snowman which may not be with me for long !!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 10/01/2010 16:07  

Matt your doing a great job with the new look site and I really like some of the options you are now giving us. I was just looking at the events pages with out being logged in and can see on event details who is going, so am I missing something with the event not showing on a personal profile unless being viewed by a member isn't really going to make much difference is it as all someone needs to do is look up the profile name of the person on the attending list for that event. Hope I have explained that right

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 10/01/2010 17:33  

if someone is trying to find you, they're not going to go through every event in the calendar! Instead they'll just create an account and profile quickly and view your profile. Disabling the attendance list on the events pages will not have any great effect on security, but it WILL have a negative effect on showing people how active the site is BEFORE they join up

Update Reply
Matt @ 10/01/2010 17:40  

Matt, I don't think I explained myself properly but it doesn't matter keep up the good work with the site

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 10/01/2010 17:56  

i am lost too cg ........lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/01/2010 17:58  

If only a registered site user can see from your profile what events your attending if anyone un registered wants to get an idea of who won't be at home when all they need to do is go to a the events calendar, look at names on there then click on that profile to see where abouts they live, does that explain what I am trying to say, so basically at first I thought it was a good idea not to show on a profile to a non site member which event your going to, really it doesn't matter. Blame it on my old age if that don't make sense still

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 10/01/2010 18:55  

unless peeps know where you live, they aint gonna be able to find tr house anyway are they???

Update Reply
drobess @ 10/01/2010 18:59  

no thats true unless someone who does tells someone who dont lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/01/2010 19:00  

non members may have a friend of a friends brother that knows someone who used to work in a forensic photography lab. He could look at your bike pic, cut and enlarge the frame/engine number, contact his mate at the manufacturers to find out which dealer sold it then pass this information to his son who happens to know a third cousin that used to work at the dealership. From there he could get your address, pass the info to a secret agent who could monitor your bike movements then POW!! or am I being a bit paranoid??

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 10/01/2010 19:29  

YES

Update Reply
Geedubu @ 10/01/2010 19:33  

Thought so Geed, thanks for that, i've turned the search lights off so I can sleep in peace tonight

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 10/01/2010 19:35  

Although u were jokin RK, thanks for pointing out how ridiculously paranoid some people are being.

Update Reply
Matt @ 10/01/2010 19:40  

I was being deadly serious Matt! I'm just glad Geed put my mind at rest or I'd be sleeping on the bike again tonight and that top box rack is a killer on me neck

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 10/01/2010 19:56  

how ridiculously paranoid some people are being. So can i take it then Matt that taking security seriously is being paranoid ?????... Would you personally make a guarantee that you would compensate anyone who suffered a loss because everyone in the world is given access to there plans ?........ I doubt it very much, but nor should you be expected to. We are individually responsible for our own safety and should take such steps as we see fit to do so.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/01/2010 19:59  

Perhaps I should explain to everyone in more detail My concerns. I do not see any reason why a guest to the site should have any reason to be able to see what events I plan to go to. There are plenty of people who know me who are not members of BM. Work mates, etc. I don’t go to the lengths of telling them when I’m going away for the weekend because they don’t need to know. As has already been pointed out, Only signed in members can see events list on a profile, but this is useless when you can still click on an event and see who is going anyway. As Matt has said, it is important that visitors can see how active the site is and I agree with that. However, my answer to that would be that visitors should be limited to seeing how many people plan to attend a given event. At the end of the day it should irrelevant to a visitor who the people attending actually are, this should only be relevant to full members. I realise that anyone can create a profile, even a fake one, which is why I believe this information should be for full members only. At least they have had to make an authorised payment, which is some indication that they are who they claim to be. I don’t fancy getting burgled and answering the question “who knew you were away at the time?” and have to answer….well actually, the whole world, because I advertised that I would be away on the internet. I accept that no system is in going to be 100% secure, however I think all steps should be taken to minimise the risks. Hence, you will not see me listed as planning to attend an event while the entire world has access to it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/01/2010 20:00  

Matt hope you didn't think i was getting parnoid about people knowing what events I am going to, blimey I even organise bm meets lol all I was wondering is why give yourself more work.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 10/01/2010 20:01  

paul you'll find that people who are attending any type of event talk about it in the preceding weeks through the forums so it doesn't take more than an amoeba to work out whose going where and when. That doesn't mean they are leaving an empty home behind and they're usually attending an event on their bike so no luck there.

If you don't want to show your attendance anywhere, don't post it and don't talk about it in the forums..........simples

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 10/01/2010 20:06  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email