MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Newbies Forum

Newbie greetings and looking for riding buddies

Newbie greetings and looking for riding buddies - Forums [Biker Match] Newbie greetings and looking for riding buddies - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Newbies Forum /

Newbie greetings and looking for riding buddies

Hey there all, my name is Paul and I live in Maidenhead Berkshire. I've only been riding for just over a year. I have a CBR600F (Previously had a FZ6 which I thought was a death trap and traded it in after 6 wobbly months). I usually ride alone as none of my friends have bikes, but it gets a bit boring eating a fry up on my own. I normally stop in at The Englands Rose pub in Postcombe, but sometimes venture to Fox's Diner near Abingdon. Does anyone meet up in the Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and go for rideouts? I'm keen to get out this weekend and test my new 'touring' tyres - Bridgestone 020's as I do a bit of motorway mileage commuting to work at the moment.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/02/2007 14:34  

Hi ya paul, soz but not about this weekend, fingers crossed someone will arrive on scene that lives close by. Have fun mate

Update Reply
Di @ 16/02/2007 15:34  

hi paul big welcome to ya........cant help out on the bike thingy as havent got one myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. good luck on finding a buddy to go rides out with see ya around

Update Reply
storm @ 18/02/2007 11:31  

It's the same for me in Devon mate! No-one around but "seek & ye shall find" n'all that!! ... I even offered this lot some candy floss & cider...to no avail!!..But...no...it won't get me down!! ..Lol M

Update Reply
Mark_07 @ 18/02/2007 16:56  

Mark I've found one person that's perverse enough to ride a bike, and he works with me. I recently convinced him to get back into biking so he traded in his Honda NSR 125 and bought a Kawasaki GPX 600cc. I showed him a few roads on Saturday, and the grin on his face said it all...I shall also point out that he said he had a few brown trouser moments (I think we all forget what it was like when we bought our first 'big' bike), but I did slow down many times and waited for him to catch up...also just to make sure he wasn't lying in a ditch with aforementioned fresh purchase stuffed into a hedge. Another thing; don't you just hate it when all your car driving mates tell you how dangerous it is to be riding a bike nowadays (Knowing full well that you and said mates often nicked his older brothers Honda 500cc thumper and did wheelies and burnouts whilst riding two up in a field)...I think you couldn't be riding at a safer time. In this country you have so many advertising campaigns warning motorists to be aware of bikers, nothing like that back in South Africa. Not too sure what I could offer to entice people to join me on rideouts, possibly their favourite drink and a full English fry up?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/02/2007 18:12  

I was coming back from witchiest's on Sun. It was about 5.20pm so not completely dark and round where I live some of our Police bikers use the off road bikes. So, 150 yards in front of me there he is, hi viz jacket, (oops slow down) when low and behold a car nearly takes him out by pulling in front of him!! I can see him from way back so I don't think she (the car driver) really could use that excuse Got a feeling that was his "brown trouser" moment of the day!!! A quick u turn and on went the blues, wish I could have heard the conversation

Update Reply
Di @ 19/02/2007 04:33  

ha di i would have stopped and checked the copper (if it was a male one an under 45 !!!!) over for shock he may have needed mouth to mouth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! an a copper in biker uniform well what more can i say

Update Reply
storm @ 19/02/2007 15:44  

@ you storm

Update Reply
Di @ 19/02/2007 16:56  

Hi Paul A warm welcome from one relative newbie to another - they seem a nice bunch in here and although Im looking for similar to you - we're in different areas - wouldnt you know it lol!!!! Ive only been biking for a year now - got my own 125cc like your friend had and about to go up to DAS 500cc , part 3 test and full licence soon (hopefully!!) suspect I will have some brown trouser days so we could have helped each other - you with your experience and advice with riding and me providing the pleasant yet funny company and help with those fry ups lol!!! Never mind, I expect we'll find some local company for rideouts in near future!!! Good luck and enjoy chatting in here! Sandy

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/02/2007 17:53  

Hey there Sandy Thanks for the friendly hello. I did my CBT and DAS within a very short space of time and can still recall the jump from 125 to 500cc. I can assure you that although the larger bikes seem intimidating at first because of their size, they are easier to handle. The best advice I ever received was; "Ride for yourself". If your mates are racing ahead, don't try to keep up with them if you don't feel comfortable at their speed. The same mate I was out with over the weekend now wants to go to a bike meet near Watford tomorrow evening. If the weather is good (As he is still a novice like myself) we will be going to: Three Compasses, Hilfield Lane, Patchetts Green (Junction 5 M1, then take A41 south, to the first roundabout then take the firt left off the roundabout, then first right, the pub is 300 yards on the left). I have taken the above address from another website (Not too sure if I am allowed to mention them on this website?) This weekend I am collecting my son from Birmingham so no rideouts for me I'm afraid (I have noticed every weekend I have my son that the weather is perfect for biking). Ciao Paul

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2007 17:05  

Now thats typical Paul lol!!! I was praying for day fine weather Saturday as back at training school with guys to progress to DAS and complete test (she says hopefully lol!!!) Had brilliant lesson, lots of laughs and fun too and it stayed fine - bonus!!! So next week up to DAS - excited but wary too so ty for the tips - makes me feel a bit more easy!! Been researching bikes this weekend too as had a nice unexpected treat away so time to have long walks by seaside and chill out and read. Short listed some bikes for small ladies and the ones Im looking at now are BMW F650, Ducati Monster and should be Suzuki Bandit but Ive already sat on one and my feet dont touch the ground so I dont feel happy on it!!! Son suggested Mothercare but I ignored that one!!! If any ladies with the same height problem have any suggestions her4e Id be happy to hear from them!! Got the bug now so dont think it will be long before a new bike is sitting here ready for me when I get my full licence - now that is an incentive to pull my finger out isnt it lol!!??? Mad or what? Have a good rest of week, safe riding and nice hearing from you again. Sandy x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2007 17:33  

you could get the seat lowered , if u like the bike but its to high

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2007 18:28  

you could get the seat lowered , if u like the bike but its to high

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2007 18:28  

Hi there :) Not near enough for me to join ya sorry. Me and my riding mates will be organising ride outs soon now the weather is getting better and the FWB amongst em dig out there little darlings from under their winter hibernation kits. I'll post up where and when as I know for anyone who wishes to join us. Stay rubber side down ;)

Update Reply
Baby Blade @ 20/02/2007 18:38  

sandy , seems to be lots of people on here from notts area would of thought it would easy to find some one to go out riding with. if u get stuck ur only 35/40 ish miles away up m42 gives us a shout

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2007 18:46  

Awww thanks guys, and for the offer of your company el ninja but although quite a few ppl near me - alot either dont have bikes or already seem to have their riding buddies sorted out!!! Never mind, it will come, and yes, seat lowering is an option and Ive got my choices narrowed down to about 3 types of bike now - just gotta sit on them and see if they make me smile or not (been told thats how you know its the right bike for you!!?? wont go there tho will we guys, but I do know what you mean by that lol!??) Keep posting and Ill do the same - nice to know you're all there!! Sandy x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2007 04:09  

Low rider Sandy I too have short legs thanks to the Italian influence in my family! As for bike choice; I would get a bike fit for purpose, then if need be alter the seat height (I think Ride and Bike have adverts showing products for this - some take foam out of the seat and others adjust the rear suspension). I recently had the pleasure of riding a Honda CBF 600 (Traditional bike) to and from work recently while the bike shop serviced my CBR 600 F...what a pleasure! I could actually get both feet flat on the ground, didn't feel the need to race everywhere as I was in such a comfortable position, and to top it all I used a lot less fuel. Then I got back on my bike and I felt like I was aboard a minimoto - arse up, head down, weight on wrists - Yelped all the way home! If anyone is interested in a rideout on 3 or 4 of March then let me know...I am willing to travel. Oh and I live in Maidenhead. Ciao Paul

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2007 17:12  

Absolutely and definately Paul - I like to sit upwrite and enjoy the views whilst riding too, not have my arse up in the air, miss whats not immediately in front of me, get neck strain and give others the pleasure of "my view"!!! Am working on it, narrowing bikes down gradually, will get there in the end as usual!!! Ta for that............and remember, all good things come in little packages, as long as its in proportion with the rest of you, still works and gets the job done lol!!! (my argument and Im sticking to it!!) Ride safely! Sandy x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2007 17:42  

lol @ you sandy, i hate tippee toe to!!! feet flat instead of trying to balance lol

Update Reply
Di @ 21/02/2007 17:55  

Yeah well thomsondiane - tippee toes may look sweet/feminine/funny but give me safety and flat feet anytime on a bike lol!!! Looks pretty daft and painful when you end up t***s up on the road with your tippee toes in the air uh lol!!!! Sandy x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/02/2007 03:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email