MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

BA strike

BA strike  - Forums [Biker Match] BA strike  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

BA strike

The high court has just ruled that the strike can't go ahead. barring an appeal by unions.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 17/12/2009 15:48  

oops ... looks like Trish cannot stay on holiday for longer than she booked lmao All they will do if they cannot do it over Christmas is do it during the summer season ... they will find a way round it

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 17/12/2009 15:59  

they'll just have another ballot. they recon it could be within another month. no point waiting till summer if negotiating now.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 17/12/2009 16:13  

what are they even complaining about? They're running BA into the ground having strikes all the time. Some people expect pay rises when others around them are being fired, it's ridiculous. BA is still making a loss, they should let the company recover first before making demands. IMHO of course

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/12/2009 17:45  

Its not about pay rises matt. As an employee, you have a contract with your employer detailing your job descripion, pay, holiday entitlement etc. this makes up your terms and conditions. this agreement is enforcable on both sides. What you wouldn't expect is for your employer to be able to change those terms and conditions any time it feels fit to do so. If your boss came along one day and said i'm gonna cut your holiday by half you'd be a bit upset. you would expect some sort of renumeration for doing that otherwise thay would be in breach of your T's and C's. BA are imposing changes to these workers T's and C's without expecting to give anything back for that. you wouldn't stand for it so just becouse it affects us as the general public they shouldn't have to put up with it either.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 17/12/2009 18:15  

My sentiments entirely BB. It's about time workers stood up against bullying overpaid management who use the current climate to change Ts and Cs. After all it was the management that decided to give them a good contract in order to recruit the best staff. Maybe if the bosses took the lead and cut their pay and allowances first a settlement would be made easier. IMHO

Update Reply
mouse59 @ 17/12/2009 18:39  

They would only make it up to themselves in a big BONUS if they took pay cut

Update Reply
micksaway @ 17/12/2009 18:50  

Personally I think it's really sad when the best paid cabin crews in the country working for one of the last surviving BRITISH institutions are holding the management to ransom over very minor changes in order to help the company survive a 500m loss and keep them all in a job. The strike over such a long time at such an important time of the year could only further cripple the company. I wonder how they'll feel when the company can't survive and they all end up unemployed! Suppose then they'll be shouting for help from the government (us) to keep them from closure. The union leader doesn't appear to have the brain cells to run a proper ballot let alone such a large movement. IMO of course.

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 17/12/2009 20:10  

Wish i had a job where i got to fly around everywhere for nothing. I get no pay rise this year and work on the roads in all weathers. They should shut the **** up and think themselves lucky they still got a job. So many unemployed today there will be a long queue to take their jobs if their not happy. How many of you here that agree with them have a flight booked with BA over christmas? Would you be happy if you did,honestly?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/12/2009 20:16  

wether there pay is higher than most or not. Like you both they have contracts of employment. wether those changes are minor or not you both would expect your employer to stand by that contract. They're entitled to the same protection from bulling and intimidating managers as anyone else. If your employer came up to you and said were gonna cut your pay are you just gonna stand there tug your forlock and say "ok boss take wot you like" i think not. I was made redundant in august and am still unemployed. I dont begrudge them a penny of their wages. wages BA offered them. of course you both would turn it down. NOT!

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 17/12/2009 21:05  

What exactly are the changes that they're fighting about? Anyone know?

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/12/2009 21:15  

PS: I for one will NOT be booking with BA for several years now. How many others feel the same?

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/12/2009 21:17  

Never have booked with them Matt. Whenever i fly its to Europe and normally go with EasyJet,cheap,gets me there in one piece and thats all that matters.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/12/2009 21:28  

blues whilst a company does have a commitment to a contract of employment, surely there must be room for manouvre if conditions outside of their control put the business in serious danger of closure. How the BA employees can shout about pay and conditions when the whole country is in crisis is beyond me. Their employer is losing 10's of millions and asking them to work with one less member of staff out of 14 on a long haul flight, this means each member working an extra 7% over 3 days. If I was given a choice tomorrow of a 10% pay cut or becoming unemployed I know which one I'd choose! I'm a manager and currently working 2 extra hours a day looking for work to keep us all in a job, I wonder what they're doing once they clock out. I didn't get a pay rise last year and won't be taking one this year so im working extra hours while earning 4% less than I was in 2007 whilst the workforce get a pay rise every year no matter what! Yet i'm the bully which couldn't be further from the truth. If any employee thinks they can do better there's a spare desk in my office if they want to show me. Funny but no-ones taken me up on the offer, how strange eh!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 17/12/2009 21:30  

Whether there fight is right or wrong they are not doing themselves or BA any favours with strike action at this time of year, i know plenty of folk like Matt who have said they wouldnt book with BA again.

Strike action always has a domino effect and not usually a good one

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 18/12/2009 00:08  

Striking is always a last resort. Somewhere there is a negotiated settlement, there always is. Hopefully, now, they will get round the table and bang their heads together for the sake of the company. Don't get your hopes up though!

Update Reply
mouse59 @ 18/12/2009 00:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email