MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Riders Rghts organisations MAG V BMF

Riders Rghts organisations MAG V BMF - Forums [Biker Match] Riders Rghts organisations MAG V BMF - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Riders Rghts organisations MAG V BMF

Just thought I would like to hear views on the subject of Riders Rights. As a recent recruit to MAG ( motorcycle Action Group) and going out with a BMF (British Motorcyclists Federation) BMF member both organisations work closely together to try and fight for our rights. At a very recent MAG meeting it was said by Nick Brown, their lobbiest, that membership was slightly rising he says there has been a large drop in members but now they are on their way up again. Riders rights group really do need new members to fight our causes. they do a great job and put in a lot of effort and time on our behalf. There are thousands of volunteers amongst us too whom also give up their time so a huge big round of applause for them. A new MAG group now meets at The Royal Oak, Studley warwickshire every other Tuesday. If you are a member, which group do you attend maybe we can help on here by listing the group meeting nights and venues.

Update Reply
moonstone @ 06/11/2009 14:22  

And heres a good news story from MAG MAG applauds the decision by Birmingham City Council to open its bus lanes to motorcycles. In an effort to make more effective and efficient use of its roads, Birmingham City Council recently completed an experiment allowing motorcycles to use bus lanes. The policy allows motorcyclists to see and be seen in congested traffic. The Birmingham experiment confirmed the experience of other towns and cities, that allowing motorcycles to use bus lanes was beneficial to motorcyclists, with no disadvantages to other road users. MAG in Birmingham and nation-wide has been campaigning on this issue for years, first winning access to bus lanes throughout Bristol in 1996. London opened all of its major route bus lanes to motorcycles recently and now the second biggest city in the country has followed suit. MAG President Ian Mutch said ‘There seems to be an outbreak of sanity among local authorities all over the country, this is great news and shows how MAG’s campaigning is helping to produce real results for riders.

Update Reply
moonstone @ 06/11/2009 14:27  

Have been a BMF member for years. Been a bit concerned about the internal politics for some time tho. I do think it's important that bikers belong to one or the other, they do an awful lot behind the scenes, that folk probably aren't aware of. Goodness knows where we'd be without them. Almost certainly on power restricted bikes with leg guards, to name just two.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 06/11/2009 14:32  

LOl - I spent 2 years, independantly emailing B'ham council over bikes in bus lanes, throughout the city. They extended their trial to the Alcester Rd, about a week after I moved house, and no longer used that route

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 06/11/2009 14:35  

Awww Rob You will have to go that route now Just cos you can even if its miles out your way... Dont you feel it calling you?LOL

Update Reply
moonstone @ 06/11/2009 15:07  

As for the internal politics I think as long as we are not involved in the heirarchy we leave them to get on with it. Shame it has to happen though but all organisations no matter what they are get the bickering and disagreements Its a bit like digs going for number 1 spot I guess. I must say I think MAG are the stronger of the groups these days and they do do more on a regional basis for members meeting up ( Members of their groups I mean) LOL

Update Reply
moonstone @ 06/11/2009 15:11  

Have been a MAG member for quite a few years now and find them useful in more ways than one. Agree with Rob being part of one or both is important.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 06/11/2009 16:46  

been a mag member for yrs too local meet at beverley thow never been yet !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 07/11/2009 00:42  

I had been a volunteer for the BMF for several years, worked for them as a lobbyist for over 14 years. The BMF had been riven by internal politics since before I became involved and that combined with having done the job for so long led to my leaving. Nevertheless, I have remained a member although not a very active one. My successor is doing a sterling job and brings youth and enthusiasm to the rôle, both of which I had run out of. Thanks to him, the BMF remains effective in representing riders' interests.

BMF and MAG do work together with the rest of the motorcycle community which includes the industry, dealers and training organisations who sit on the National Motorcycle Council as well as representing UK riders' interests in the European umbrella group FEMA. As Rob said, they do a lot of work behind the scenes such as responding to consultations, conducting campaigns and attending various working parties like the Highways Agency liaison group to make sure that motorcyclists get a fair deal and curbing the more draconian proposals from the road safety lobby. I think our greatest achievement was, working with the Department for Transport, to produce the Government's Motorcycling Strategy. There is still much to do such as with the Strategy, in particular, which has been slow to have been implemented.

MAG and BMF are doing a lot of good work for motorcyclists and sometimes need help with their campaigns. So do continue to support one or both of them or if you don't join now.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 07/11/2009 08:12  

To be honest, I tried to join MAG on about 3 occasions, each time they lost my application. Couldn't be bothered to try and join again.

I found a local MAG group, and I wasn't impressed so never bothered to join through them either.

I wont join the BMF local group for personal reasons.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/11/2009 15:24  

Fraglette Did you lose your money on each occasion too? They Mag had my money then sent me the membership card within a few days it was very straight forward. Just as a note of interest I know MAG fees are increasing by a fiver very soon so if you chose MAG join soon for even more of a bargain.

Update Reply
moonstone @ 09/11/2009 00:07  

Nope, didn't lose any money at all, they just lost the applications, I tried online, and via the post. Now just cant be bothered with joining them.

Had problems with IAM and ROSPA as well as MAG. So theres something wrong with the administration of a lot of the big Biking associations or no-one wants me, which is probably more likely lol

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/11/2009 16:05  

i joined MAG this summer, Glos Mag , they are always lobbeing and going to different meetings , very helpful friendly bunch,

Update Reply
savanna @ 31/12/2009 14:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email