MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Going by Shells success.........

Going by Shells success......... (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Going by Shells success......... (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Going by Shells success.........

We met a lad on Saturday recovering from a broken arm after falling off on the swerve/brake maneuvre. The examiner refused to carry on with the test because he couldn't fasten his helmet with one hand. There's been loads more stories of others falling off so it sounds as if it's an achievement surviving the test without injury, let alone passing it! Whilst I can understand why people have come off doing the swerve, I have to say that having done the test in May (killed a cone so failed) I have not had any scares like that. I lost count of the number of swerves I did on the practice pad with Liam, both left & right, in the dry & in the wet, on clear runs & with puddles after a down pour & did not once come off, thats why I value the type of course that you learn on, being able to build up to the speed, knowing what you're doing & just how it feels coming out of the bend at 20mph & then getting to 30mph for the speed trap & knowing inside you there is nothing that you have to fear. Its when doing the practice with your instructor & you can only get to 20 for the speed trap & get told 'you only have another 10mph to find on test day' that you dont know what to expect. As someone who has had both experiences, the training sessions with Liam & the confidence they have given me (that I CAN do it & its nothing to be sacred of) are way above what I did with my 1st instructor.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 03/11/2009 13:53  

Go for it, Zela !!

Update Reply
maxnod @ 03/11/2009 16:46  

Hi Zelah and welcome to the site! Don't think about coming off a bike..............just getting on it and doing it!!! I only just did it myself 3 years ago (late starter but better late than never!) after being convinced all my life that bikes were dangerous and I could never ride one (too short, not strong enough, too "girly" and even, not enough "balls"!!! .........cheek lol!) and I went through life believing it all too??!!!. Instead, I rode and owned a horse (cos they're safe??!) and had a really bad smash up when it bolted on to a road on the run up to firework night (yes, they very much have minds of their own no matter how competent a rider you are lol!)....injured and shook me up badly too but I got back on...............only here once hun! Glad I eventually had a go and ignored the stuff that had been drummed into me all my life.............would never have known what Id have missed would I? Just focused and went for it and when it got tough, I just got more determined to do it..... and did.....................free lesson with the new "Get On" campaign (see relevant thread of the same name!)..........just go for it hun, you can do it.............and good luck!

Update Reply
babyharley @ 03/11/2009 18:27  

I think the thought of having to do the module 1 & 2 after being on a big bike for a few years is a good reason not to lose your licence.

Update Reply
Phil @ 03/11/2009 20:35  

Thanks for all the kind words everyone...I've checked out that site "get on" it looks good, I too have had a few falls off horses nothing serious tho,just alot of bruises lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/11/2009 21:19  

could we start a thread that gives tips to us 'wanna be's' ? (Sorry Lou, couldn't think of another word !!!)

It's OK - I don't have copyright on it!

Erm... never mind the chap couldn't go on with the test cos he couldn't do his lid up one-handed... how the heck do you ride a bike one-handed?! Perhaps have the examiner run alongside you to depress the clutch lever any time you fancy changing gear?

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 04/11/2009 09:05  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email