MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Riding - Dont Wimp Out in Winter

Riding - Dont Wimp Out in Winter  (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Riding - Dont Wimp Out in Winter  (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Riding - Dont Wimp Out in Winter

i know its not winter yet but just this min got back from a ride back from worcester, dry roads, nice and fresh....PERFICK !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/10/2009 07:07  

I've seen bikes go past me very precariously when i'm out gritting the roads in winter. (Why overtake the gritter,why not stay behind with the road freshly gritted?) When i can slid a 16 tonne gritting truck on a roundabout then that says it all really. Also the salt doesn't rust your metal. It soaks up the moisture,gets under your wheel arches/mudguards (fenders for you Harley owners) and then the moisture starts the rust. Like the rain does in summer.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/10/2009 15:48  

Good info Ric, everyone thinks that it is the salt that causes the probs - me included, well not now ;-)

Update Reply
Throttle Jockey @ 28/10/2009 20:37  

Here's one good thing about riding in winter time,.. there's no splatted flies to get of the fairing!!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 28/10/2009 21:29  

The way traffic into any major city is these days, the bike wins every time, short of ice/snow. Really can't be one of those cage-bound commuters. Do have a dirty secret tho. When the salt gets too much for the bike, I've got a scooter tucked away in the garage Just don't tell anyone

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 29/10/2009 10:09  

Scooter boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/10/2009 10:23  

Make a point of wearing different kit. Haven't been recognised yet.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 29/10/2009 12:40  

We all know now Rob !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/10/2009 12:41  

Knuckles u leave Rob alone he is now my fav as he stuck up for me :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 29/10/2009 12:44  

God may have ridden a Triumph, but even he would understand keeping out of the worst of the salt. And those little wheels are better than a car, or a bus pass

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 29/10/2009 13:00  

'God may have ridden a Triumph' .................. it matched her handbag

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 29/10/2009 14:36  

iirc the quote was "the roar of his Triumph could be heard across the land"

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 29/10/2009 18:27  

I thought that was Moses.

I agree entirely with Rob that it makes sense to have a hack for Winter and short trips especially a scooter which can take a helmet or bag of shopping under the seat. Anyway, we're all motorcyclists regardless of what form of powered two-wheeler we choose to ride.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 29/10/2009 18:34  

You may well be right, but who am I to let the facts get in the way of a good quote Quite agree about all two-wheelers tho. We all face similar problems, even cyclists, some of whom seem very anti PTW's for some reason.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 29/10/2009 18:50  

*smack a bit too much of self-justification for my liking*

Cata i've looked through the thread and can't find anyone elses post about risk so I guess you're referring to mine. I don't need to justify myself because as a new rider I'm quite openly sh*t scared to ride on damp, greasy roads with steamed up visor and numb hands. I totally agree the rider should make his own risk assessment and hats off to you for riding through 35 winters, you're a braver man than me but the title seems to assume people who store bikes in winter are whimps because they choose to take a safer more comfortable option. There's an old rule of thumb that I abide by....there's no such thing as a dead hero and I like my bike to come out of the garage like a shiny pin in the spring, gives us whimps something to look forward to on these dark nights

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 29/10/2009 19:18  

I used to always ride all year round, mainly because the bike was my only transport. (Even remember getting the blow torch out to thaw the ice on the gates so I could open them to go to work.) However, recently I have started using the bike all year round again and I love it! As Cataraptor has said, modern clothing and tyres not to mention such luxuries as heated vests and grips make winter riding far more enjoyable. I don't ride if it's snowing or very icy, then I take the Saab, but otherwise it's the bike every time.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/10/2009 22:45  

(Even remember getting the blow torch out to thaw the ice on the gates so I could open them to go to work.) A jug of COLD water woulda done the job for ya Geoff as cold water is warmer than frozen.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 30/10/2009 01:19  

Then there's always the black ice that you can't see on the road to make it even more dangerous. (can we say "black ice" or is it now called "ice that is not of an ice colour")

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2009 03:50  

lmao at RD

Update Reply
excalibur @ 31/10/2009 15:36  

I tend to ride all year round. I follow the simple rules my old man gave me. Don't ride in snow or ice. The police won't ride in those conditions why should you.

Update Reply
Phil @ 01/11/2009 00:37  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email