MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Riding - Dont Wimp Out in Winter

Riding - Dont Wimp Out in Winter  - Forums [Biker Match] Riding - Dont Wimp Out in Winter  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Riding - Dont Wimp Out in Winter

The official end of the summer is no longer an excuse for bikers to pack their bikes away for the winter, according to the Motor Cycle Industry Association today (27th). The MCIA’s analysis of new Government data shows that more and more UK bikers are committing to the benefits of biking all year round.

The MCI’s analysis of Government taxation data shows that 156,000 more bikes were kept taxed and ready for use throughout winter 2008 than were five years ago. The result is one-third fewer bikes are taken off the road in Winter than in 2001. The MCI is marking the end of British Summer Time by reminding these hardy riders of the hazards they need to be aware of to stay safe in the months ahead:-

• Poor grip: 8% of motorcycle crashes in 2008 were caused by ‘slippery road due to weather’
• Reduced visibility: 1% of crashes were caused because the rider suffered ‘vision affected by rain, sleet, snow or fog’.
• Reduced concentration : Cold temperatures can impair mental function and make it more difficult to complete complex task

The MCI is urging all road users to act responsibly and follow simple safety advice that could save a life during the British winter.

• Turn your lights on before it is fully dark – but don’t dazzle on high beam
• Reduce speed in adverse weather conditions - fog, rain and ice
• Check mirrors regularly
• Don’t intimidate other road users – give each other space when road conditions are poor
• Be seen - motorcyclists can increase their visibility by wearing reflective clothing such as a reflective jacket
• Be warm – buy or borrow winter kit which offers better protection from the elements.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 27/10/2009 15:59  

Have done my all year riding in the past..... Don't want to do it anymore !! Sat at traffic lights with my hands on the engine to try and get some feeling back into them, no thanks !! Call me a wimp, but WTF !!

Update Reply
maxnod @ 27/10/2009 16:25  

Max its each to there own xx

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 27/10/2009 16:30  

I'd still rather have that freedom feeling that be in my little cage. Good kit and the wonders of heated grips - so that's me on 2 wheels again this winter.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/10/2009 17:08  

its bs. more wealthier bikers cant be bothered to sorn thats why they are kept taxed in winter

Update Reply
dunans @ 27/10/2009 18:25  

I can't see how putting the bike away for winter is whimpy! Surely it's common sense isn't it? My bikes been re-taxed for winter in case there's a particularly nice day but unless a bike is your only mode of transport it seems crazy to deliberately increase the risk to you' your bike and other road users by riding in extreme conditions for the sake of it.

Does riding on wet leaves and greasy roads with steamed up visor and numb hands make you a hero or a fool I wonder???? (using chrome so there's a confused face at the end there)

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 27/10/2009 18:34  

I used to ride all year when I first started riding bikes and again for 3 years up until january this year. Things I have found out. Bikes do not make very pretty snow angels .... and I have the pictures to prove it. If the temperature gets really low, brakeshoes freeze to brake drums. Brake cables freeze to their sleeves as do clutch cables. I would like to point out that the two above points are not the same incident, when it snows the temperature is too high for the bike to freeze. Fingers and toes really hurt when they are coming back from the brink of frost bite. snot will freeze to your upper lip, and tears will freeze to your face when you have to ride with your visor open as the inside has frosted up as well as the outside. On the edge of Hypothermia, you really do not feel the cold anymore and you actually feel quite cheerful and warm. But you can either believe me or find out for yourselves. My bikes are kept taxed over winter and will go out if we get one of those nice clear winter days, but not for long ;)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/10/2009 18:49  

I have ridden in below zero temperatures down the motorway and its blooming cold, hands throbbing with the cold and shivering.
I'm hoping to get some hand guards and heated gloves for the bike, If it is icy or snowing the bike stays at home and I go in the car

Update Reply
drobess @ 27/10/2009 18:59  

Ice will nearly always keep me at home. I dropped the bike years ago on some ice and we went spinning down the road with no ill-effects apart from a few bruises and yet another scratch in the bike. But if there had been any other traffic around it might have been a different story.
And then,of course, you get a day like today, nearly November yet pushing 60 degrees in old money. Looks like it's going to stay that way for a few days too...had a lovely afternoon watching the world go by at the carousel in Southport.

Update Reply
Wills @ 27/10/2009 19:34  

Each to their own. Unless it's snow and ice I ride to work - just prefer it and the time home is my de-stress.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/10/2009 19:44  

Yep,snow & ice will make me use the car for work now.Every other time I`ll use the bike coz I much prefer it-got all my weatherproof gear so it`s not so bad.Also have a chinese copy of a C90-100cc of cheap semi-automatic step-thru,to use in poor weather to save crashing my precious 26year old GPz.Oh,not that I intend crashing,of course!!

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 27/10/2009 20:29  

I'd say in last 5 years or so a lot more bikes sold have helped increase these stats and all weather bikers alone have not made such a huge difference,imo most bike owners will keep their bikes taxed for 12 months anyway..any opinions?

Update Reply
excalibur @ 27/10/2009 20:46  

Yes ice is bad for riders of big bikes but when the snow comes then the enduro bikes come into their own LOL Great fun even if your sliding on your arse (whilst playing that is) However when the snow and ice is not around and it is just a chilly winters day then heated grips are any riders best friend. I got mine from www.windingroads,.com - tell Martin that Ian T-B sent you and you want some discount LOL - I doubt you will get any but he is a real nice chap and very very helpful. About £30 a pair IIRC - well worth it for the comfort you get. I even have them on my KTM enduro bike for when we were greenlaning in the winter - call me what you like, my hands were nice and toasty ;-)

Update Reply
Throttle Jockey @ 27/10/2009 20:48  

ok TJ we get the message lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 27/10/2009 20:56  

May be a wimp but i'm a lovely warm one without geavel rash

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 27/10/2009 21:54  

I ride my bike all year round. I am still using it to ride to work. Only thing I try to avoid is salt, because of what it does to bikes. So first signof fost, its coming off. I will still ride at weekends when no salt on roads. As for cold hands, I bought a pair of heated grips ( the wrap round kind ). They are cheaper and easier to swap from bike to bike. If you havn't tried heated grips, they make all the differance in cold weather. I wouldn't ride without them now.

Update Reply
timhall @ 27/10/2009 22:47  

Dont shot the messenger i just posted it lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 27/10/2009 23:43  

i usualy buy a bike just as winter starts so yip i ride through it just keep it washed down and fetlled ita be fine

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 28/10/2009 00:13  

Won't have a lot of choice as its my only transport. Any thing that keeps your hands out of the wind will stop the cold. Unlined mitts over your gloves work a treat.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 28/10/2009 00:39  

I have always ridden through the Winter and have been doing so for the last 35 years. With clothing and tyres having improved so much over that period, it's certainly more pleasant and less risky than it used to be and as WheelyNealy says as long as you keep the bike washed and fettled, it won't be any the worse for it. See my Bandit in accompanying profile pic - 72,000 miles in all conditions over the last 7 years and still looking good.

I no longer rely on a bike for work since I now live 15 minutes walk away from my place of employment and I do keep the bikes in the garage in extreme conditions but I'll be travelling mainly by bike back and forth to Redditch to see Moonstone at weekends throughout the Winter.

I have a choice since I run a Trooper as well but accept that it's each to their own and you have to make your own risk assessment. However, the comments by some about putting ones self and others at risk by riding in the Winter smack a bit too much of self-justification for my liking. Certainly in South East England, where I live, there are normally very few days (last Winter excepted) when it's not safe to ride and individuals should be free to choose.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 28/10/2009 07:06  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email