MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Touring

Touring - Forums [Biker Match] Touring - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Touring

I thought the subject of touring could bring some useful information and ideas to BM members. As well as getting on track a little with what this site is about .....motorcycles. I have toured Europe a few times as a Pillion and thoroughly enjoyed myself. In this Thread maybe we could discuss routes to take and to avoid. Usefull ways of packing all your requirements . In fact I think this should be a forum as there could be so much that could be said about it. What has been your favourite route? or is there one you would like to take? What friendly biker places to stay have you been to or should be avoided?. Where are you planning to go on your next touing holiday? Do you need some advice? best insurance cover or road breakdown cover good and bad experiences? Some must be planning a trip soon ready for your next holidays maybe you need to know the most enjoyable roads to use? Hope you will share your holiday with us on BM Moonstone x.

Update Reply
moonstone @ 15/10/2009 12:39  

I'd start my trip by taking a couple of months off work. I'd then travel down along through Europe following the Alps through France, Austria and Switzerland to Italy. From Italy I'd follow the south coast back west all the way through France and Spain before finishing the trip with a week or so in Portugal. From here I'd head north back up through Spain looking in on such towns as Merida and Avila. Ok, so maybe this is more of a dream trip, but I would like to go back to the Austrian/Swiss Alps, ideally with Roachy on pillion.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 15/10/2009 22:46  

...ideally with Roachy on pillion. Who would be your second choice then, geoff? *lights fusewire then retreats*

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 15/10/2009 22:57  

*ideally with Roachy on pillion*

Shame she's got a big bike now eh geoff, looks like you're on your bill with Roachy leading now mate

*funny how dreams can turn to ashes*

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 15/10/2009 22:59  

I'd agree with Geoff about a couple of months off work. But after that we'd be heading in opposite directions...I'd be off on the ferry to Hamburg, throught Germany, Poland etc to Talinn in Estonia, ferry to Helsinki and then off to the North Cape and back though Norway and probably Bergen-Newcastle ferry.

Just a thought.

Update Reply
Wills @ 16/10/2009 00:43  

I can't afford the fuel to get up the street at the mo! lol It sounds a bit boring compared to some peoples dream trips but I'd like to do the highlands and a bit of B road Britain before I head abroad. The millionaire trip would be to America, a goldwing or full dress Harley and just discover the place. More realistically, my sisters mate has an apartment somewhere in Portugal So a couple of days to ride there, a week chilling and a couple of days back would be more my style.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 16/10/2009 12:52  

sounds good gh and stop off at me dads in southa france on way down !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 16/10/2009 12:58  

Definitely the USA,East coast to North West..Seattle onto Oregon,California and down towards New Mexico thru the border to Cancun and back upto route 66 heading for Chicago,a dream i wish to full fill before its too late.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 16/10/2009 13:11  

Ghosty, I've driven down to to Algeceiras and it's three bloody long days from London and far more comfortable with four. A couple of days is highly optimistic

Update Reply
Wills @ 16/10/2009 14:38  

My wife and i used to do route 62 every December situated in the Karoo through the winelands of the cape,each on our own bike we'd climb onto route 62 in a town named Oudtshoorn..big ostrich farming community then head for Montague stopping at Karoo Saloon (a must stayover for bikers)spend at least 2 nites here then onto De Bos backpackers and camping site surrounded by mountains for 2 nites finally heading for our destination Hout Bay in Cape Town where we'd visit family for a week after which a slow ride back on coastal roads to George our home town ,route 62 is in total about 700km's long and i'd recommend the ride to anyone going to SA. Google "Karoo Saloon on rte 62 biker accomodation and facilities" always a warm welcome from a fellow biker Willy Doorheit the owner.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 16/10/2009 15:02  

Bilbao to Burgos in Northern Spain after yu get off the ferry - fantastic twisites, high passes and riding past canyons. Last time I did it there was still snow down which was a bit weird but tust brilliant.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/10/2009 16:53  

I'd agree with Wills. I've toured Spain and it's a BIG country. You could do it from Santander to southern Portugal in two days, but even then they'd be long days and you wouldn't get to see that much of the country. I'd suggest three days from Santander or as Wills says, four on a longer route. Although from Calais it's around 1500 miles so maybe five days or six! Now that would be a trip! A week to get to southern Portugal, a week there and a week back.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 16/10/2009 18:08  

Is that the road alongside the Indian Ocean - I have heard it's spectacular

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/10/2009 18:19  

Giggly, with you on the road to Burgos whether from Bilbao or Santander,,, Burgos Cathedral is on my profile,,, lovely place and a lovely ride there.

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 16/10/2009 18:54  

Giggly if you start the trip in Cape Town and end in Durban you will have the Atlantic meet up with the Indian ..the best of both so to say,miles of beaches in between really good for a biking trip

Update Reply
excalibur @ 16/10/2009 18:55  

Packing requirements.

Lay everything out that you think you're going to need.

Look at it.

Then discard half of it.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 16/10/2009 19:38  

MMM that makes sense Vinnie. I still take too much though

Update Reply
moonstone @ 16/10/2009 19:40  

Don't we all.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 16/10/2009 19:51  

got to agree with vinnie on this one,,i have three boxes on the pan and still all are full and i'm solo riding!!!!! would be nice to have essentials list as to what people know you need??, then anything else is a bonus!! went to southern ireland 2 yrs ago, bike packed up and also rear seat (and it was only for 3 days???) Best place so far ive been, people are great!!!!(as they are on here)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2009 09:39  

Essentials list. Credit card Mobile phone (with breakdown recovery and hotel numbers stored) Change of undies just in case!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 17/10/2009 20:47  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email