MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Tow bars

Tow bars - Forums [Biker Match] Tow bars - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Tow bars

I've been asked to fabricate a removable tow bar for a mates Busa, anyone already made one or any tips on connection points on a bike etc etc??

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/09/2009 11:27  

Morning Rusty! Hull750Rider made his own towbar and trailer... Perhaps that's a good place to start. I don't know if it's removable, but i'm sure between you, you could make it so.

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 08/09/2009 12:05  

Morning Ian,

Thanks for that mate, I'll PM Andy!

(Using Google Chrome so that's a thumbs up at the end there lol)

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/09/2009 12:47  

i was gonna say the same Rusty , Andy's the man to contact.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 08/09/2009 16:40  

Whoops!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/09/2009 20:47  

why the hell would you want a towbar on a busa? going for the worlds fasted towed caravan award?!!?!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2009 20:56  

God just messed that up!

He just wants to take loads of stuff camping but wants it removable so it doesn't look sh*te with the trailer off

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 08/09/2009 21:02  

going for the worlds fasted towed caravan award?!!?!

I can picture the news... Motorists on the M62 were stunned as a runaway trailer passed them at speeds estimated around 140mph... An embarrassed 'busa owner explained "I asked an ex-mate of mine to make me a tow bar for my tent"

For a biking holiday, if you can't fit it on yer back, on a rack/in saddle bags or in a tank bag, it doesn't go with you. If you're going to sit there in a traffic jam, you may as well take the car. At least you get to stay dry while you're stationary.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 08/09/2009 21:09  

Got to agree with you WB ! the loads of gear that Sumo and Pagan carry on their bikes is awesome and still looks very neat as well...but once again its a matter of opinion and choices..Andy uses his trailer for work as well as rallies.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 09/09/2009 08:23  

watsona the side car people make towbars for all bikes and have tested them upto 160 mph on the track, i have a towbar on the valk, the only problem i have is to remember its there lol

Update Reply
petervalk @ 09/09/2009 09:28  

Loads of cruisers at stormin had trailers and some were really smart, not my cup of tea though it sort of defeats the purpose of 2 wheels though.........Love to speed thru traffic and have the freedom to move around unhindered......good luck with it mate!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/09/2009 11:24  

"I asked an ex-mate of mine to make me a tow bar for my tent"

WB you cheeky...........never heard of a tow bar on a tent mind you

Loads of returning bikers like their home comforts and being stopped in traffic doesn't mean they should be in a car! MCN road tested a trailer round a race track and got the record for towin a trailer. He averaged a 137mph lap on a ZZR1400 so being stopped in traffic for a bit doesn't stop you catching up

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/09/2009 20:11  

Yeah, but you can't ride at 137mph on the roads... Not if you expect to live &/or maintain your licence.

*sits corrected and edits post*

"...make me a tow bar for me trailer-tent"

For me personally, I couldn't go on a biking holiday with side cars / trailers / support cars / whatever carrying all the gear... it's just not the point and defeats the object... the idea is to travel light.

If I want home comforts, I stay in an hotel... if I want to camp, I camp

If I had a bike and a licence to ride it, I wouldn't tow a trailer for love nor money!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 09/09/2009 21:13  

When i go away if it doesn't fit in the saddle bags or strap on the back it doesn't come with me. I got home comforts at home. Widescreen tv's don't hang on the tent wall too easy.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2009 04:24  

have to agree with WB whats the point of havin a bike if youre stuck in a jam with a blasted trailer!! especialy in this crowded country!may as well have a flippin caravan if yu want comfort! put the bike inside for when yu get to the rally!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 10/09/2009 09:32  

I dont have the patience for a caravan trip or holiday , but its a case of whatever turns you on or blows your hair back ..i prefer the latter , to bring this briefly back to topic...there must be a big market for bike towbars , seen lots of them in SA but fitted mostly to goldwings etc...

Update Reply
excalibur @ 10/09/2009 09:41  

ok we aint gonna talk yu out of it!! we will all wave as we pass!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 10/09/2009 09:44  

No PM yey still drumming fingers lol. I've tested my towbar in 3 ways private road speed test Bump started a car Stood on the Tow Ball To simulate a VERY heavy load Few points have come up off this post that HAVE to be addressed. Towing speed limits that apply to cars also apply to bikes! 60mph max on motorways (national speed limit) and 50 in all other 60mph zones then all other limits apply on a like for like basis. Biggest trailer that is leagal to tow behind any bike cannot exceed 2.5 mtrs in length (measured from ctr of rear axle of bike to rear most point of the trailer!) 1 mtr width restriction (incliding mudwings/mud guards or wheel hubs/tires) No hieght restriction??? Well common sence here a tall trailer will not handle at all well and will catch side and head winds a little too well! Weight restriction is equal to 2 thirds of the dry weight of the bike (that's fully loaded trailer wieght!) So no trailer tents behind solo bikes no catching up with mates who've gone off ahead by what ever method (filtering or sticking to the speed limit!) I've filtered with my trailer on BTW Nuts will confirm this lol. (as a trailer is restricted to 1mtr wide it takes up often less space than a big bike with average sized paniers fitted!) Mounting positions on all bikes are restricted most places that are most used are (foot peg mounts and luggage mounting places) these are allways built into a bike with extreems in mind (big pilly = overly engineered mounts) same with luggage points all over engineered to cope with overloaded paniers/topboxes being pushed through the air at a great rate of speed then sheer forces applied to the same points whilest under rapid decelleration. My own towbar is easy removable only held by 4 bolts, I just choose not to remove it (close attention needs to be paid to the electric connections as it is those that if you want a removable system need to be spliced into the wiring loom of the bike and not just scotch locked) my bike will benifit from a full set of bullet connectors soldered and taped into the original on my next install after my strip down and rebuild of the 750

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 10/09/2009 09:49  

I use a trailer because I like to be a bit more sociable and take a gazebo BBQ and double burner stove so I can cook in comphort and not have to cook in my tent! I also like the flexabillity the trailer gives me! A big shop is not clever trying to carry loads of carrier bags on your arms lol. My recent trip to get annother engine a classic case in point! Cost me more than a 3rd less to go get it with the bike and trailer I already had than paying a couriour (about £32-5 petrol instead of £59.99), I've even taken all my tools to go fit a kitchen on the flatbed part of my trailer, including flip over saw chop saw big router etc with out compromising my own safter by tring to get all that stuff on a solo bike! It just gives you the added flexabillity, to do far more with a bike with the least impact to day to day motorcycling. No fixed lump on the side of the bike (side car) trailer un hitched in less time than taking off a pair of paniers and top box or loads of straps bungies etc plus if you take a pilly their seating is never compromised for the sake of that extra 15 tins of refreshment lol (or anything else) Plus as to anyone waving as passing I can tell a few stories of certain sports bike riders who've been bettered around certain corners by a bike and trailer combo lol, oh and where were the crusers that had been over hauled by the sprts bikes. (think they were being waved at too lol.)

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 10/09/2009 10:06  

what about on the rear mudguard?

Update Reply
moonstone @ 10/09/2009 10:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email