MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Things I have Learned

Things I have Learned - Forums [Biker Match] Things I have Learned - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Things I have Learned

Following a week in Cornwall there are a few things I feel I should share 1) B3306 St Just to St Ives - Great Fun 2) B3301 Hayle to Portreath - Brilliant 3) B3300 Portreath Redruth - watch for the 90 degree left hander when you get to Redruth - bit of a surprise at dusk 4) SatNav - Don't use in Cornwall unless you particularly like six foot wide single track roads with ten foot high stone walls either side and a two foot strip of moss in the middle of the track 5) Lands End is probably the naffest most crass piece of commercial exploitation in the country. 6) Never ever attempt to ride home on a change over day (Saturday) in August, I established a personal record of around 50 miles of lane splitting and 20 miles of rather dubious overtakes, six hours to ride down the previous Sunday - over 10 hours to ride back!! Overall had a great time, scarcely got rained on and two wheels is the only way to travel in the summer crowds. The Cornish are so obliging to bikes it felt like being in France, all the local plate cars moved over for overtakes, backed up on the single lane tracks, gave way at junctions etc. Even plod is very reasonable, parking illegally in a "loading only" bay on St Ives seafront got the comment of "You know you shouldn't really park there" and nothing else. Never tried Cornwall by bike before but will be doing it again despite the trek to get there, thouroughly recommended.

Update Reply
prof @ 24/08/2009 23:50  

Prof did ya get loads of photos and are they on your profile?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/08/2009 23:52  

Loads of photos Kwak but most of them of my great niece and nephew.

Update Reply
prof @ 24/08/2009 23:56  

Well Prof I'm sure your great niece and nephew are beautiful too but I was hoping for Cornwall as I've only been there once some years ago and only overnite and didn't get many photos of the area cos it was my son's passing out parade and I spent most of the time in the base.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/08/2009 00:04  

There will be lots of photos available soon, on two occasions last week I passed a Streetview car. For the scenery junkies I can recommend the coast route, over two days I rode from Polperro to Tintagel following the coast as closely as possible and riding through all the coastal villages. It was a bit of a whistlestop tour but it was great fun and I spotted a number of places I will visit again and spend time in

Update Reply
prof @ 25/08/2009 06:50  

Sounds lovely! Never been meself... might think of it for my two week break next year (two weeks break = when the sproglets go away!) Cheers Prof !

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 25/08/2009 07:27  

Cornwall is brill !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/08/2009 08:22  

Glad to hear you had a good time prof **also glad to see that Mr_P's sat nav is not the only one that likes having a laugh **

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 25/08/2009 09:02  

The amusing bit was chatting to a couple on a GS1200 who were following the directions in their Garmin but were frightened of riding any further on the loose chipping/mossy lanes as it was slippery. It seems Ewan wannabe bikes do not imply an owner who can actually ride the thing.

Update Reply
prof @ 26/08/2009 12:44  

LOL Mr_P's sat nav in France took us down a dirt track road the cross country to get us to a road one time ... but saying that if it didn't like having a laugh we would have missed some of the best rides ever!!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 26/08/2009 14:06  

WOW, sounds brill!! Lucky you :-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/08/2009 17:12  

Ahhh....Tintagel....happy memories...used to go down there with a crowd on the bikes every year.... Was always glad to be pillion then cos I'm not a fan of driving the narrow 'cant-see-whats-comin' lanes...I 'jump' too easily! Love the rugged coastline in that area tho... Did you go down to Trebarwith Strand Prof..?...one of my favourite places in the country....

Update Reply
Catey67 @ 26/08/2009 17:21  

i liked tintagel castle.......just love the area.....will have to find a nice someone to come with me on the back of the bike.......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/08/2009 18:32  

oohhhh now is that an offer for someone who has said they like being a pilly

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 26/08/2009 18:45  

open to offers !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/08/2009 18:48  

Catey, it was high tide when I got to Tintagel so it was just the view from the cliff top. I didn't spend much time on the north coast this trip but intend to remedy that soon. I'm fortunate in that I have family in Redruth so my only cost is the 800 miles worth of petrol getting there and back, well that and the numb bum!!

Update Reply
prof @ 26/08/2009 20:26  

Yeah it is a bit of a trek...! Reminds me of first ever trip down there....no proper luggage for the bike at that point...one humungous rucksack on my back....owwwwwwwwwww....virtually had to be lifted off at the other end....from the strain of the extra weight ...mind u did wonders for me stomach muscles!!! Never again...bought proper stuff after that! Theres bugger all at Trebarwith, apart from a cafe, a pub half way up the cliff side, a lovely sandy beach and lots of rocks to sit on and watch the sea come crashin in....bliss...

Update Reply
Catey67 @ 26/08/2009 22:15  

take me there now !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/08/2009 22:23  

Lol @ Ian.... T'is a lovely spot....and even better in winter (well apart from for the journey/weather I guess)...when theres less peeps about and its wild...(and theres a roarin fire in the pub!)...

Update Reply
Catey67 @ 26/08/2009 22:30  

My friend Dave lives down there he has a zx10r...and I know he can handle her lovely...he took me for a spin in his porsche and boy it was so much fun...of course we never went over the speed limit once lol

I have been up and down this country on so many wonderful biking routes over the years..I couldnt say I have a favourite...the only thing I can say is the most wonderful touring my late hubby and I did was in Southern Ireland..the Dingle peninsular and the Ring of Kerry was spectactular..

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 26/08/2009 22:36  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email