MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Help new people to survive!

Help new people to survive! (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Help new people to survive! (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Help new people to survive!

Glad you sorted stuff out Ian, and cheers, just need to take my own advice now pmsl.

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 03/08/2009 01:58  

Four sports bikes were wiped out near to where I live today (sorry Sunday) all four decided to pull a wheelie out of a roundabout three abrest and one following, the one behind was at the wrong angle wobbled and out accelerated the three in front, he took out the other 3. I think the one at the back was dragged into it by a bit of peer pressure!!!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 03/08/2009 02:03  

I hate to say it but serves them right Its antics like that that get the law giving us all a hard time. Time and a place and all that. Hope they walked away from it with not to much damage to themselves (Bikes are replacable) And learn from it

Update Reply
micksaway @ 03/08/2009 02:16  

Hi all just posted on the wrong thread should have been on this one . anywhy my 2 pennies worth are on the mirror s m thred .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2009 04:32  

I agree with Prof... I ride as if EVERY car driver is out to kill me! Even in rideouts, I always ride to the speed that I am comfortable with and often have a child on the back, so I am even more careful then. It is all about confidence as I think Hull750Rider said. When I get my bike out having maybe not used it for a couple of weeks, I can ride like a tw*t for a few miles as my confidence packs up and leaves me! I try to use the bike every day, and every day love it more.

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 03/08/2009 07:18  

you just keep going as you are cissy, with a attitude like that wont go wrong !!! ps...gooood morning

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2009 07:21  

Morning Ian... good to see you back mate!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 03/08/2009 07:23  

Very helpful thread RK , there is 1 particular junction on my route for getting out of my suburb to head out of town and twice cars have seen me coming and still pulled out in front of me , or they pause half way into the oncoming traffic leaving you not knowing what their intentions are , they're coming out of side streets and should STOP but dont ! moral of the story ALWAYS anticipate the worst scenario , never ASSUME that other roadusers will stick to the rules and regs...they mostly wont because they know we're vulnerable , another point , be extra vigilant weekend evenings and early mornings when party goers head home . I hope this helps a little bit.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 03/08/2009 08:08  

Morning folks, all great advice but what about this scenario and it's never happened to me of course, i've just heard about it

You see a lovely right hander coming up, position yourself perfectly, you can see the clear exit, big smile starts to appear, lean the bike in and then........................you suddenly realise that bloke who comes out in the middle of the night with his bag of gravel and shovel has paid a visit and you're right on it, leaning over!

Do you;
A) Brake, panic and try to get off the gravel (not that i've ever done that )
B) Open the throttle and try to get off it
C) Continue the maneuvre without thinking about the gravel
D)?

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 03/08/2009 08:08  

hey rk, i wouldnt personally in my opinion open the throttle, as the back wheel will try and spin even more, or try and carry on riding the line you were, i would try and sit the bike as upright as possible, and let off the throttle completely and let the engine slow you down.......as long as your not going too fast into the corner you should be ok...like i said slow in fast out, but i will be interested to see others views

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2009 08:14  

G-g-g-g-ravel???? Yikes! Option A for me lololol....which, yes i know is totally wrong, but me and gravel just do not get on, despite my best efforts!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 03/08/2009 08:15  

Its happened to me RK with bad consequences as i've mentioned somewhere down the line , i was in it already before i even knew it and came off , if its visible slack off without using brakes and try to get around the muck , unfortunatelly you would normally see the mess too late , still try not to over react ...my honest opinion .

Update Reply
excalibur @ 03/08/2009 08:33  

Thanks for that, to be honest that was my first oh shit moment and by panic braking I did stand the bike up but exited almost on the kerb and had a very close shave indeedy

It's comforting to know that even experienced riders are also wary of the same things and it's not just newbie panic!!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 03/08/2009 10:01  

You will never be alone ! we all have had "oh sh*t" moments and can never say , never again !

Update Reply
excalibur @ 03/08/2009 10:08  

MICKSAway : just had a little read of thread .I to willl be out again soon after 18yrs........ Bit conserned about u talking yourself round bend though.. Carefull! Ive already gone round the bend and i didnt open my mouth.......... HAPPY/SAFE/SANE/Riding

Update Reply
Roaring Ruby @ 03/08/2009 16:53  

It's funny but I thought loads of peeps would be asking questions, am I the only 'born again' biker on this site or what??

What's the difference between filtering and undertaking as undertaking is regarded as one of the most dangerous maneuvres (Can someone spell that by the way) yet bikers seem to think filtering is ok!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 03/08/2009 18:10  

Hey rusty im also a born again biker i think its just a case of once biker always a biker. as you get back on the old training kicks back in and your soon away sure i had a few scares to and even fallen off last year but we learn by mistakes plus you can sometimes make things worse by being to careful

Update Reply
trev0r987 @ 03/08/2009 18:36  

To be honest trev I never had any training and went from an XL125 to a Z750 in one jump. Believe it or not I fell off twice during my part 1 and the examiner told me not to worry as he would decide whether I'd actually fallen off or it was down to the wind. Needless to say he signed my PASS chitty!!

How do ya think we can make things worse being 'too careful', interesting point to make that mate??

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 03/08/2009 18:41  

what i mean by being to careful is by being over cautious or not confident of your bike skills you can cause yourself to be a hazard by riding to solw you hold up other traffic(there are people out there who ride like this) i believe if you own a bike you must be able to ride it well and pay allot more attention to the road.after all you have to lookout for number one and defend yourself from all the cars
i guess the more we ride the better we get, you cant beat experience so they say so that me off for a ride...catch ya later

Update Reply
trev0r987 @ 03/08/2009 21:31  

Go for a ride with a good rider, and watch them very carefully.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2009 21:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email