MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Two bikes or a bike and a car?

Two bikes or a bike and a car? (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Two bikes or a bike and a car? (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Two bikes or a bike and a car?

Because of the costings of the car it means I will be ok for keeping both the car & the SV on the road & even if the 125 sits in the garage doing nothing its not a big issue as its new its only £300 a year for tax & insurance thats if I dont SORN it

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 25/06/2009 22:10  

just cos you are able to get your toy out every day no need to rub it in , id love to be racking the miles up,going out every day honing my skills but need to use the car for work so usually only get 1 day on the bike a week, i`ll still be wobbling on it this time next yr and the restrictor will be off then my years biking will be about the equivalent of a month for you! not that im bitter at all!

Update Reply
julie j @ 25/06/2009 22:13  

My solution would be sell the car and get something cheap to run,dosna have to be a banger,cars under 1000cc can be picked up very reasonably and only tax and insure it oct-march.Use the wee bike for run of the mill and the big one for fun

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2009 22:22  

£300 a year for tax and ins on the 125? Insured as garaged at Ian's - that's more than I thought it would be. I don't think it was that much for the CG at mine and that's on the road parking on a council estate in Leeds. It's £152 garaged at Geoff's. I know it was just over 3 yrs old though and not a sports 125 but it's insured with a value of £1500. All nil no claims and fully comp. Ins for the CBR was...£350ish I think (at Geoff's). Had to start from scratch as the CG insurer wouldn't insure the CBR with without a years no claims. So the CG is still running on it's own insurance - talk about wasting money!! Awww Julie, sorry...feel really bad now. If it's any consolation though, you don't wobble anywhere and you handle your bike with far more confidence than I do and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. I'm truly sh*te (foul language edited by GeoffB2005, tut, tut) still in some areas of my riding.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 25/06/2009 22:25  

That's the way my gut is heading Cassie, thanks to everyone's comments, esp Shell for an insight into how cheap a modern supermini is to run. I do want to keep commuting on the bike when I can - I couldn't bear going back to sitting in traffic again day in, day out. Hopefully if I can cut tax, ins and running costs on a car, that'll pay for the CG's running costs and by putting less miles on the CBR, I'll save on petrol (it's thirsty), tyres, oil (how much is bike oil!!) etc. Ermmmm Geoff, you got room for three bikes in the garage on a permanent basis? Darling, sweetie pie, hunny bun. Best stop now before I make everyone vomit.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 25/06/2009 22:35  

Pass the bucket ! pmsl xxx

Going back to insurance mine was only £85 all in for Mini V..must be my age! its so cheap to run...mind you my cars are cheap to run too....thats why I had them for economy and practicality...just that I dont need two cars!...

I havent got a garage to store any of my vehicles in..so thats a bit of a shame!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 25/06/2009 22:43  

Sell everything marry me i have 5 bikes 5 cars 1 van take your pick job sorted. Or alternatively put both bikes on one insurance, i have 2 fireblades with Carole Nash for £289 inc. full europe cover and recovery, price based on most expensive other costs little

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/06/2009 00:14  

Once you get some NCB put both bikes on one policy, my 2nd bike only cost £5yr to insure this way. trade car in for semi modern 1000cc super mini saving on tax, fuel and ins costs. Keep a car whatever until you make Geoff a happier man. Commute on the CG (better on fuel) and have a blast on the CBR at weekends. Thought my vehicle situation was complicated! Only got 1 car 1 van n'd 2 bikes dont like to think about the running costs :(

Update Reply
lezg @ 26/06/2009 01:07  

Wow BC, £85..is that fully comp or just TPF&T? Nice try bikeabill! Good suggestion though from you and Legz, I shall look into it, I didn't know you could do that. How does it work, are you able to chop and change when you want or do you have to notifiy which is *on the road* at the moment? That would be a pain if you went to work on the CG and wanted to come home and go out on the CBR. Looked at little Micras last night, ruddy ell, they're expensive little cars aren't they! One the same age as my Stilo is worth more! Taking the CG to work today....haven't ridden it for 3 months, hope I don't fall off!!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 26/06/2009 08:24  

Ask your insurance company if they do dual bike or multi bike policies. This was the norm when I started riding (shows i'm an old git) many co's have stoped doing them however Bennetts still quote for them I am with Equity Red Star Through MRB insurance brokers £127 for 650 bandit and 400 superdream dual bike (5yrs NCB). Bennetts quoted Equity too but at a higher price. You need to make phone calls as most comparison sites do not allow the addition of 2nd bike. Both bikes insured all the time you can only ride one at a time( I hope)

Update Reply
lezg @ 26/06/2009 08:53  

"until you make Geoff a happier man" How could I possibly be happier? (Bucket anyone? lol)

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 26/06/2009 13:42  

Well...I'm rethinking AGAIN after taking the CG to work. I didn't like it at all but maybe it's just a case of getting used to it again. I sets off and I can't find the pegs! I must have gone 150yds down the road before I give in, pull over and discover they're about 6 in further in front of me than I'm looking for! The front end felt like it wasn't connected to anything and the brakes...well I'm sure I remember them being better than that! The clutch was lovely and light though. I'd also forgotten just how much a throttle can twist! I sound horrid don't I...I don't mean to be. I loved my CG when I was riding her and I can remember thinking I HATE the CBR when I first got it but it really is what you get used to. So, the verdict...not sure lol! On the plus side, Stilo's are up for sale on ebay for quite a bit more than £2k so maybe Parker's are undervaluing. If I am going to keep a car though, it makes sense to downsize to something more economical.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 26/06/2009 17:49  

aw bless you Roachy, im def not as wobbly as i was so am getting there! SVshell, think you are getting a rough deal with your 125 ins,def shop around next time although think im quite a bit older than you my 125,1st bike brand new was about £75 fully comp 3 points (oops) and now for 2bikes, still not got 1yr no claims £270 ! less than your 125. has anyone got a deal for combined bikes and car on the same policy Roachy did you think of taking the cg to squires one sat with a big for sale sign?

Update Reply
julie j @ 26/06/2009 18:07  

Julie, if you'd seen me today on the CG you'd have wet yourself! £75!! I'm starting to feel I'm being raped paying £152! I don't think age comes into it that much once over the age of 30, that's the highest age restriction I've seen on a policy. That's not a bad idea, I saw a couple of bikes at Squires on Wed that had a notice slapped on them.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 26/06/2009 18:27  

Both my blades on one policy have had 4 bikes on same policy, do not have to tell them which one you ride all fully comp.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/06/2009 21:40  

Here's an idea for you,.. chop in the CG for a trials bike! Then you could ride it up the steps at your house,... and when you get good at it, maybe even upstairs inside the house to keep it out of reach of the vandals!! Just think,.. it would be a lot easier turning round on cobbles too, with only 24" seat height. I've got me insurance thru e-bike, £140 for STX1300, WR450F and the Dullville, but that is only TPF&T.

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 26/06/2009 22:28  

My situation of two cars and a bike has now been resolved..sold one of my cars..so now I have just the one car and one bike but the cash will go towards a better bike when I sell Mini V later on...so then Ive got a practical economical car for the girls and will have a brilliant new toy for me to play on..PERFICK!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 01/07/2009 23:43  

Julie J you live in a good area (Post code lottery for insurance premiums) yes age is a factor too but Roachys post code will be weighted against her!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 02/07/2009 00:10  

Aye that's true HR. My car insurance doubled when I moved from Derbyshire to Leeds. However, my bike is insured as kept in a garage in Pontefract which obviously quite a bit cheaper than on the road in Leeds! I did find most of the companies wouldn't quote when I used the likes of confused.com for a few reasons. 1) bike not kept at registered keepers address, 2) not full licence or licence less than one year, 3) nil no claims bonus. I only had between 4 to 6 prices come up each time.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 02/07/2009 07:25  

Oh sorry Rach didnt see your earlier posting..yep £85 is fully comp with legal cover...and I can ride ANY 125..after a year of riding and if Im claim free they will give me 4yrs no claims on the basis of my car insurance history!

Its cos Im an old git!!! LOL LOL LOL

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 02/07/2009 10:09  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email