MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

It's my number you can't have it.

It's my number you can't have it. - Forums [Biker Match] It's my number you can't have it. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

It's my number you can't have it.

Is anything not private anymore?And how are they going to know which numbers belong to kids?http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/p...stm . The phone directory company was on the news this morning, people are complaining that you have to opt out and not opt in. So if anyone wants to make sure that your details aren't in the new directory text E to 11 88 00 from the phone that you want to opt out.

Update Reply
Scary @ 10/06/2009 09:37  

Nothing surprises me anymore Scary!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 10/06/2009 12:14  

Either which way, they're quids in... you're even lining their pockets by texting at a premium rate just to get exempted!

Not good.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 10/06/2009 12:20  

I would like to know how much the websites etc got paid for giving over the phone numbers? I don't give mine out willy nilly for a very good reason.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 10/06/2009 13:06  

You would be shocked and horrored at the amount of companies that sell our personal information. Simple things like giving your mobile number to a shop for a delivery will go onto a database and that then gets sold on. So its very easy to think that no-one will have your number but its the little things that you forget.

Update Reply
Scary @ 10/06/2009 13:10  

You can register your mobile phone as well as your house phone with the TPS (Telephone Preference Service)It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so. The TPS can accept the registration of mobile telephone numbers, however it is important to note that this will prevent the receipt of marketing voice calls but not SMS (text) messages. If you wish to stop receiving SMS marketing messages, please send an 'opt-out' request to the company involved.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 10/06/2009 13:27  

Tried sending a text to that number but got a service message back saying i can't send a text to that number.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/06/2009 17:22  

If you wish to stop receiving SMS marketing messages, please send an 'opt-out' request to the company involved.

That'd be right - yet more profit for them! Cos they're never just a regular number that you can send a text to within your monthly bundle, they're always at premium rate.

Nice "work" if you can get it!

I'm also reluctant to respond in any way, shape or form to the SMS marketing messages, as, like spam emails, responding (even to opt out) confirms that the number/email is a valid & active one!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 10/06/2009 17:34  

The 'opt out' text should not cost you more than 1 normal texts, but yeah I agree Lou its a pain. Also if your getting marketing texts that charge you there is a web site .. phonepayplus... they regulate all prem texts & have a full list, you put the short code in ie 888888 & it tells you the company sending them & also thier details.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 10/06/2009 18:01  

Oooh nice tip - thanks Shell

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 10/06/2009 18:12  

Just on the back of this I got into work(I work for a mobile phone company) today (had 5 days off) to find this : How it works If the company has it, contact details will be sent in a text message to them. On the phone version, you call the number, and again they will check whether they have the person's details on their database. If they do, they will call them up while you are still on the line and ask them whether they are prepared to have your call put through to them. In neither case is the mobile phone number given over to the person making the request. When someone is searching for me on 118800.co.uk, can they see any information about me? No. All searches on 118800.co.uk are via our secure application that doesn’t show mobile numbers or names and addresses of individuals. Neither do we give prompts that could disclose personal information. We simply say whether we’ve found the individual and, if we have, we forward the enquirer's contact details. Can I be ex-directory with 118 800? You can become ex-directory by texting the letter ‘E’ to 118800 from the mobile phone you want to be made ex-directory or you can call us on 0800 138 6263. Standard network charges apply. The first time 118 800 contacts you you will be sent an SMS reminding you about how to become ex-directory. Please allow up to 4 weeks for your ex-directory request to take effect. Hope that helps

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 11/06/2009 10:33  

I for one love the fact that people sell my details on to telephone marketing companies and the like. I've actually had some very interesting conversations with people that have rung up to try and sell me something. I've had many an interesting discussion on such fascinating subjects as the types of stuffing materials allowed in childrens toys or the manufacturing process for the webbing straps commonly used for modern cameras. And I can honestly say that each time, the lady or gent who has rung me stops trying to sell me anything within a few minutes. People say these individuals use hard sell techniques but I don't believe it at all, they are all very nice I've found. Indeed, the other day I spent a good forty minutes or so discussing the topography of a nearby wetlands area with this nice lady who rang up asking if I was interested in a new phone. In fact we could have happily chatted for hours, but unfortunately she was feeling a little off it that day and had to rush off to the doctors. I hope she's ok.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 11/06/2009 11:39  

Ah OK - it does help Shell - thanks for that

Aww Geoff - you're so nice! Poor lady.

I really do my best to be patient with telesales people... it's an absolutely rubbish job, rubbish pay and they're subjected to totally unrealistic targets so they get completely stressed out and it's not so great being told to naff orf every time you phone a number to try out your sales pitch.

One particular telesales bod who phoned me though ended up with a right earful. He accused me of lying, when I denied having any accidents, trips or falls within the last 3 years! He actually responded by saying "Oh come off it, you MUST'VE had something happen within the last 3 years! Everybody has accidents!" Sheesh!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 11/06/2009 12:27  

Best one i heard was a mate of mine kept getting sales calls for a conservatory. He kept telling them he didn't want one and to stop wasting his time. They tried top convince him how good a conservatory will look so after about the 8th call he said to send round a representative. The conversation went something like this. Rep " Sir you never told us you lived in a second floor flat" Mate " No,but you wasted my time so i'll waste yours." He's never had a phone call since.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/06/2009 13:50  

I did a search for myself and apparently Liverpool is in Lancashire. If I remember rightly Liverpool was never part of Lancashire. Bootle where I live was part of West Lancashire but became part of Merseyshide in 1974. I also believe under the data protection act, if my number was listed on there system my data will be incorrect and so they will have a case to answer if I requested an audit. Hmmmm maybe everyone in Liverpool who's number is on the list should put in a complaint. Who said anarchy in the UK was dead lol

Update Reply
Phil @ 11/06/2009 19:23  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email