MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

NHS Organ Donor Register

NHS Organ Donor Register (3) - Forums [Biker Match] NHS Organ Donor Register (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

NHS Organ Donor Register

i dont carry one, but everyones posts has got me thinking, so i am gonna look into it

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/08/2009 18:55  

funnily enough,I got my registration card through the post on friday *now where did I put that wurlitzer??*

Update Reply
pondlife @ 24/08/2009 20:23  

Thanks everyone, I would say carry the card & also register Ian, that way it makes it easier if for some reason you dont have your card on you or you ger seperated from it

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/08/2009 20:52  

thanks shell

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/08/2009 21:08  

If you opt into the register you don't need to carry the card. Remember to tell your next of kin your wishes as they can still object. My mum is my next of kin who told be categorically that she would refuse to allow donation. i told her to accept or I will change my next of kin. I also told her it was a condition of my will that I my organs are not donated then my whole estate goes elsewhere. She finally agreed. www.lltgl.org.uk Having done an emergency transfer for a transplant, patent was in chester and kidney was in Kendal it never ceases to amaze me the effort and dedication put into saving someones life. The most famous of these is called the Liver Run and has to be one of the best demonstrations in police driving and the ultimate definition of "in the nick of time" www.ukemergency.co.uk/information/theliverrun.htm

Update Reply
Phil @ 24/08/2009 21:13  

PP I would have thought that the only way to have your last wishes met would be to make a will, cos once you're dead you can't make sure they are. I think this is one time when COMPULSORY should count, where it's automatic that once we pass away our bodies are used for donation unless we OPT OUT before death.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/08/2009 22:10  

Kwak ... thats why I would say register online ... one of the questions in the FAQ's is 43What will happen if my relatives object? We know that in most cases families will agree to donation if they knew that was their loved one's wish. If the family, or those closest to the person who has died, object to the donation when the person who has died has given their explicit permission, either by telling relatives, close friends or clinical staff, or by carrying a donor card or registering their wishes on the NHS Organ Donor Register, healthcare professionals will discuss the matter sensitively with them. They will be encouraged to accept the dead person's wishes and it will be made clear that they do not have the legal right to veto or overrule those wishes. There may, nevertheless, be cases where it would be inappropriate for donation to go ahead.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 25/08/2009 09:23  

Time for this to recieve another leg up too. Oh & Kwak ... I am with you on your last comment... this should be a your opted in unless you opt out IMO

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 18/12/2009 16:44  

Have carried a card for years, although i do believe that each to their own and it might noy suit everyone, but hey what do i need em for when i'm dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 18/12/2009 21:12  

yes, me too BJ.................I wont need my bits then and they're in quite good nick so if they can help someone after Im gone...........they be my guest! Might be hard on the family tho so I have been counselling them about it for many years so they know its something I feel strongly about! Got to think, if it was one of your own and someone else left an organ to save their life......................how would it feel then??!!!

Update Reply
babyharley @ 18/12/2009 21:50  

Size of my butt quite a few folk would benefit me thinks

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 18/12/2009 22:38  

Thought it was about time this was given a lift.

We were talking to someone the other night & it seems that the numbers registered on the transplant register have increased the number of organs donated buy a great deal already.

REMEMBER if you carry the card only then your family can stop your organs being donated, if you register on the national register they CANNOT!!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/03/2010 21:59  

hi very close to my heart this paul, my sister died in 2007 very suddenly and she was on life support but was brain dead, they sent in the co-ordinator to speak to us,she was very direct but with a real compassion for the family, it was very traumatic for us but she gave us all the facts, answered all our questions and was there for us 24hr a day they obviousley have to do tests ( 3 in fact to make sure and 3 independent docters to verify the tests) which does take time. As a family we focused on wat type of person liz was(she didnt carry a card) and how she had helped people all her life through the job she did , her 2 girls leaned on the rest of the family for support and lots of questions "what if " can they do that for her" and they were all answered with respect , we said yes and they explained the logistics of it we could either say good bye at her bedside but they explained the machine was still giving the organs oxyagen and if possible they would like to keep that on right to the very last min, so we all walked with her and the docs and nurses right to the theatre and said our good byes at the door, and we stayed all through the night till it was finished were they were so kind to allow us to then see her because even with the machine she was still liz, still warm, still ours xx none of us especially the girls could have walked away from they hospital until the end was the end liz helped 5 people that night 2 who only had a few months to live and the others had no quality of life and we are very proud of her and think of her everyday I so hope that your brother gets the chance that liz gave others xxxxxxxxxxx

Update Reply
madhat @ 26/03/2010 20:13  

Thanks Mad we are still playing the waiting game but are hopeful

Its something that we have been living with for a long time now, but we do believe that if you do want to donate organs its best to let your family know & then register, that way it saves the stress to all of having to ask & be asked, its a traumatic enough time as it is,

If your registered its easier for staff to approach it with the, 'its what they wanted' rather than 'would you like to consider'

What you did was a great & selfless thing to do at a very traumatic time & our respect to you & your family for making that tough decision

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 26/03/2010 20:57  

I have always felt funny about donating my organs, but I now feel ashamed and selfish for not registering after reading back through these posts...........I can't see much of my organs being in good nick, as I think I have hammered my body over the years through too much strenuous exercise in my youth or partying a little too hard......... ........however I will now be registering and if I can help just one persons family avoid the pain that comes with losing a loved one then it will be worth it.......count me as a donor.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2010 21:14  

Good one Johnny, well done

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 26/03/2010 22:16  

Liz and all others who help folk to lead better lives after they have gone get all my thanks and prayers xxxxxxxxxxx

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 26/03/2010 22:19  

Just a reminder that if you move home, or get married, (ladies only, due to change of surname) please update your details on the register.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 27/03/2010 00:04  

Registered today....... feels a little strange but glad I did

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/03/2010 03:03  

i have carried the card since i was about 17 and gave my first pint of blood on my 18th birthday unfortanatly i can,t give blood now due to several operations and getting more than my fair share back again in tranfusions i have got my wishes on my licence and as everyone has said make sure u tell ur nearest nd dearest ur wishes just one point kwak how close r u to a medical school cause ur family may have to pay for transport of your body to the facility ! only know this cause thats what my mum wanted but because we moved about 80 miles from the teachin hospital it was going to be an absoult fortune to do it! worth looking into sorry if i put any one off the idea but best to be sure have now registered on the site good job shell keep bumping this one

Update Reply
bigned @ 27/03/2010 05:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email