MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Karma / Fairer popular members pages

Karma / Fairer popular members pages - Forums [Biker Match] Karma / Fairer popular members pages - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Karma / Fairer popular members pages

Ok I've been looking into changing the popular pages for a while now, simply because the existing calculations are unfair. Now that we have better servers, I can program much more complicated calculations. Previously our server would not have been able to generate the page and calculate the popular members within less than 10 seconds. Now, however, it will be about 1-2 seconds which is fine. So what I've done is to calculate the average number of profile views, winks and PMs a member receives, the number of chatroom & forum posts made and the number of days since last active. All within the last fortnight only, so as not to add inactive members to the popular pages. The results are... avg views = 9avg winks = 2avg PMs = 7avg chatroom posts = 271avg forum posts = 18 Therefore I will change the script to calculate a person's "Karma" based on the following... ***** Removed Karma details. -Matt The list will filter out inactive members (Those not online in the last 14 days), disabled accounts, those with no profile and those who have not got a photo uploaded. I think this gives a nice, realistic "Karma" based on a member's activity, status and popularity (Rather than just basic popularity). Hopefully this will keep everyone happy. Comments?

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/06/2009 08:10  

Good one Matt, it's a much more realistic view, as some of the 'most popular' did not appear to post at all on the forums, chat room, events etc, seemed a bit strange?!

Update Reply
Karey @ 01/06/2009 08:15  

it looks much better now. Also, the current list only shows subscribed members which I think isn't fair really. I will however increase the "Karma" of those who subscribe, but the list wont be exclusive to subscribed members anymore

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/06/2009 08:23  

ok I've updated my current test query (not online yet) to ADD 50% of the number of days left in someone's subscription. So, if you are subscribed for the next year then you will have 182.5 (half of 365) added to your Karma. This also means that I've you've been a member for 1 year without subscribing, then you will have 182.5 deducted from your Karma. It's therefore in your best interest to take out a long subscription to the site if you want to be added to the popular member pages (Before anyone complains, I believe this is the best way to knock down the Karma of those who do not contribute while increasing that of those who do)

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/06/2009 08:30  

It's therefore in your best interest to take out a long subscription to the site if you want to be added to the popular member pages Some of us, who don't pay a year in advance, contribute our time as well as our fee.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/06/2009 09:15  

good point. Karma will be increased for all those with 'staff' status. However, I don't want people offering to help as staff just to get this bonus. People should volunteer their time because they really want to. Also, following this topic discussion the details of the calculation will be unknown. Each person's "Karma" will be shown as a rating on their profile homepage also. I know you've wanted this for a long time Kwak, and so have I. It's now finally possible. The query is nearly finished, and it's running fast.

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/06/2009 09:25  

lol I have a crap Karma... just 10% of that of the highest in the guys list. I should get more involved in the site I suppose lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/06/2009 09:28  

ROFL yea, ya should get more involved Matt, ya lazy devil I can't have anyone being more unpopular than myself, I worked hard for that status!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/06/2009 09:36  

the highest karma anyone has with the new code is 298 for guys and 560 for the ladies. So I will add 50 Karma points for all staff. Kwak you have 199.35

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/06/2009 09:39  

Shhhh! there ya go ruining my reputation again! lol Act-ew-elly if ya think about it, the higher the score the more virtual chatting goes on, so that proves I don't talk as much as some folk (I hope no one is drinking when they read this)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/06/2009 09:44  

thats right kwak. You should see RC's Karma cos of all her chatroom activity! lol. This is a great way to get people involved more though, I might make more of a thing about this Karma feature now.

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/06/2009 09:58  

Here's the "Work in Progress" copy... http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/profiles/popular_f...males2.asp

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/06/2009 10:12  

Kwak you have 199.35 Erm... so where am I then? If that's right I should be 5th down the list, I aint even on it lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/06/2009 10:18  

OMG.. I'm on the list.. think its only the 2nd time ever!! lol Kwak...shhhh.. if he changes it, i might disappear !

Update Reply
Karey @ 01/06/2009 10:23  

No i've changed it all to be fairer. Some people were getting massively high scores because of the number of views on their profile or number of chatroom posts. So I've taken all the variables and averaged them out some more. Now the max is 278.75 for the girls, not 560. Kwak you are now at 98.45 (position 25). I am at 75.15

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/06/2009 10:25  

Kwak...shhhh.. if he changes it, i might disappear ! LOL nar tha waint lass. I bet some wish I would tho

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/06/2009 10:25  

Kwak you are now at 98.45 (position 25). 98.45? 25th? That'll teach me to keep me marth shut!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/06/2009 10:27  

dunt be daft, who else can *bump* as good as you

Update Reply
Karey @ 01/06/2009 10:29  

*bump* Erm...Matt dar-link...there are only 19 guys and 19 gals in the lists, tha wun short kiddo! (Am I getting on your nips yet?)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/06/2009 10:32  

should be 20, ill look into it. I've changed it again now to count only distinct profile views, and not your own profile views. So, if you view your profile - that doesn't count. If a stalker views your profile a million times - that doesn't count either.

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/06/2009 10:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email